Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd April 2022, 05:00 PM   #1
kino

Default Speaking of Panabas or is it something else

Blade profile resembles a Panabas in a way but a Panabas is supposed to be a 2 hand implement. Could be a Pira / Panabas hybrid.
Overall length 24.5”, blade 18”.
Thoughts?
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2022, 05:43 PM   #2
Rich

First, I know NOTHING about Asian weapons other than Nihonto.
Given the writing on the scabbard, I would suggest a possible tourist item????
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2022, 06:28 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
First, I know NOTHING about Asian weapons other than Nihonto.
Given the writing on the scabbard, I would suggest a possible tourist item????
I don't know about that Rich. Firstly it is obviously a laminated blade, something they usually don't bother with for tourist items. Also, looks like silver fittings on the hilt, though difficult to be sure just from a photo.
I will also point out that given the way "Margosatubig" is oddly positioned to follow along the damaged crack in the sheath i strongly suspect the writing was added at later date, after the damage was done to the sheath.
Also the stars & stripes shield might be a clue. My suspicion would be this was a WWII bring back from an American G.I. who had this inscription carved in the sheath before he brought it home.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2022, 07:13 PM   #4
kino

It’s definitely not a tourist item.I think the
scabbard is newer although it was made in the Philippines.
Here’s a closeup of the blade.
Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2022, 11:47 PM   #5
kai

How thick is the blade, Albert?

A very good, bent kampilan...

IMHO it doesn't help trying to relate these unusual pieces to some of the more well-known styles. We know there have been quite a few more different types around even if they are nowadays tough/impossible to pin down (including exact origin and names).

I'm not yet fully convinced this really is a Moro sword. The hilt might also have some Melayu and/or coastal Borneo vibes and I also have a tough time attributing the engraving of the bladebto any specific Moro group...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:14 AM   #6
xasterix

It's a not a Moro blade, but rather a Lumad one, under the Subanen tribe.

They have a number of names for this, but it's commonly known nowadays as "glot." To my knowledge, modern ones are still being made, with the same scabbard, but simple wooden hilts.

The hilt may have been a product of trade with other Mindanao or Sulu locations or tribes, as even the old glot samples have simple wooden hilts. Kino, your old piece must have been a status blade in the tribe.

"Margosatubig" is a municipality in Zamboanga del Sur which is populated by Subanen.

All credit for the information goes to the museum curator of Cagayan de Oro, who is also a Lumad researcher and cultural bearer.

Last edited by xasterix; 3rd April 2022 at 12:24 AM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:32 AM   #7
kino

Kai, the spine nearest the hilt is 5/16” thick.

Xas, makes sense since Kai noted the blades engraving doesn’t resemble Moro. I looked up Margosatubig location earlier. Any idea what “Margo”, means.

Here’s another one in this photo, from a panoply of mostly Moro weapons in a Spanish collection. Xas, you’ll probably find the Panabas interesting.
Attached Images

Old 3rd April 2022, 11:31 PM   #8
kai

Hello Albert,

Given the geographic setting, I wouldn't rule out a common ancestor for the glot and the pira. Still, quite different animals!

Quote:
Here’s another one in this photo, from a panoply of mostly Moro weapons in a Spanish collection.
Yup, that's another nice one! Note that the ferrule is somewhat different but otherwise it's a close match - great find!

Regards,
Kai
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:34 PM   #9
kai

Thumbs up

Quote:
It's a not a Moro blade, but rather a Lumad one, under the Subanen tribe.

They have a number of names for this, but it's commonly known nowadays as "glot." To my knowledge, modern ones are still being made, with the same scabbard, but simple wooden hilts.

The hilt may have been a product of trade with other Mindanao or Sulu locations or tribes, as even the old glot samples have simple wooden hilts. Kino, your old piece must have been a status blade in the tribe.

"Margosatubig" is a municipality in Zamboanga del Sur which is populated by Subanen.

All credit for the information goes to the museum curator of Cagayan de Oro, who is also a Lumad researcher and cultural bearer.
Thanks, Xas, that's great information! What are the other names - would be good to have them just in case they may happen to show up in any old literature!

Has the curator already published on Subanen blades? Maybe he could be so kind giving us an overview/preview on the blades from this group?

Could you possibly add a pic or two from examples with those simpler hilts you mentioned, please? Looks like the status pieces did have quite elaborate hilts as shown by the 2 antique examples here.

Regards,
Kai
Old 4th April 2022, 05:28 AM   #10
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Thanks, Xas, that's great information! What are the other names - would be good to have them just in case they may happen to show up in any old literature!

Has the curator already published on Subanen blades? Maybe he could be so kind giving us an overview/preview on the blades from this group?

Could you possibly add a pic or two from examples with those simpler hilts you mentioned, please? Looks like the status pieces did have quite elaborate hilts as shown by the 2 antique examples here.

Regards,
Kai
Hi Kai,

Greetings! The curator and other researchers are still in the process of writing a publication- probably in 5 years or so, they'll be able to release that, along with Lumad blade samples and relevant info.

I'll ask my friend to post his antique sample on this thread.

Sincerely,
XasteriX
Old 5th April 2022, 06:23 AM   #11
xasterix

Kai,

Here's a sample from the Peabody Museum:

https://collections.peabody.harvard.edu/objects/76545
Old 5th April 2022, 06:31 AM   #12
xasterix

My friend's glot vs my pira.
Attached Images

Old 6th April 2022, 12:48 PM   #13
kino

Xas, Thanks for posting the link to the Peabody Glot with a status hilt and the photo of your friends Glot. I’m looking forward to the research papers of the Subanen Tribe weapons and others.
I was looking for old photos of Subanen warriors but haven’t found one yet.

Here’s another sword that could be classified as a Glot with a plain wooden hilt.
Attached Images

Old 13th April 2022, 04:47 PM   #14
Sajen

Hello Albert,

Thank you for sharing this beautiful sword! And Xas, thank you for the great information. Now I want one.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 03:25 PM   #15
kino

Here’s another Glot. Courtesy of the Met
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2022, 09:18 AM   #16
russel

Default Here's mine

This is a similar item from my collection, which I have always assumed as being from Borneo (happy to have my opinion challenged). Discussed here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22048

Russel
Attached Images

Last edited by russel; 9th June 2022 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling correction
russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 12:37 PM   #17
kino

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel View Post
This is a similar item from my collection, which I have always assumed as being from Borneo (happy to have my opinion challenged). Discussed here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22048

Russel
Lovely.
I’m recalling reading this thread years ago. I just remembered the resto work on the blade. That scabbard engraving is to die for.
Thanks for posting.
Old 9th June 2022, 12:45 PM   #18
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel View Post

Russel
No challenge necessary. Several weapons that were found in PH have also been found elsewhere in the Malay archipelago. People migrate, re-settle, bring their weaps, technologies, skills, etc. I guess the more pressing question is, which ethno group it really belongs to...or at least which one started it. That will entail a lot of research though.