Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st May 2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Tulwar Question

Hi
This is my first posting so I would like to say initially thanks for letting me join.
I am not great knowledgeable on Ethnographic weapons but learning a Lot and i hope to be able to contribute somewhat.
I would be knowledgeable enough on WWI Inperial bayonets and British Cavalry sabres pre 1830's. However I find my self seeing some interesting items at local auctions and have started to purchase some of these.
I recently purchased the attached sabre for a fraction i would pay for a 1796 Light Cavalry sabre and the more i looked at it the more i appreciated the weapon.
Can I ask you all am i correct in my assumptions of what it is?
Due to fullers on the blade I am taking it that it is genuine fighting weapon
the blade is still very sharp and quiet flexable
There is remenants of silver on the hilt so it was a reasonable expensive weapon in its time.
The brass inlays into the blade would indicate quality of workman ship and again it could be a well forged blade but i would have to polish out the platina to find this out and I am not willing to do any polishing of blade.

Quality and tightness of blade overall very much a fighting feel to it and i have come to enjoy owning it as much as some of the British sabresI have

The blade is 6mm at its widest and tapers down very evenly

I am approximating the age to end of 18th early 19th century, would this be correct in your assumption
any help or information on what i have much appreciated
sorry about the quality of photographs but I am in Ireland and outside photgraphy is dificult
Best regards
Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello and welcome to our forum!
Nice example of a Northwest Frontier tulwar, indeed most likely a fighting example and I think your assessment of 18th into 19th is perfectly placed.
The hilt is of pretty much the regularly seen configuration and style of those from Rajasthan and contiguous regions, and the blade is distinctly of Indian manufacture (you will note the prominent ricasso at the hilt on the blade edge).
You have noted your interest in British cavalry sabres, and you could not have found a more fascinating companion piece!!! This very same type of tulwar has often been compellingly linked to the Sikh warriors, though it is of course difficult to say for sure. It is significant to note that this item, and by the look of what appears to be genuine age, would have been contemporary to the wars between British and Sikhs.

It is also interesting to note that many Indian tulwars were fitted with English cavalry blades, most often the M1796 light cavalry sabres, though I have seen them with M1788 as well.

On this blade, of special interest is the triangular dot patterns known as 'tricona' at the upper end of the blade as well as near the tip. While the exact interpretation of the symbolism intended with this is unclear, it is presumed to have certain 'talismanic' properties as they are sometimes seen applied seemingly strategically at key locations on many Indian blades .
This symbol has significant religious value in the major religions as the Trinity, Trimurti and others, and it seems possible that Sikh association could be possible, but far more research needed to determine that.

What you have is a wonderfully seasoned 'old warrior' from probably the northern regions of India, which potentially is imbued with fascinating adventure during the British Raj...a well worthy companion to your British cavalry sabres!

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Kmaddock

Hi Jim
I appreciate the welcome to the forum and thank you for both your confirmation and also the extra knowledge.
I will put it with a companion 1796 LC, maybe they met previously in less friendly encounter.
Best regards
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 03:23 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You bet Ken!!!
Sounds like a great pairing, and important to note that after these wars, the Sikhs became one of the most vital warrior groups in many British regiments in India, along with of course, the Gurkhas.

Originally in my early collecting days I focused on British cavalry swords, and became fascinated by the ethnographic weapons of colonial regions, especially India, and always had my weapons together grouped with the campaigns they were in.

Looking forward to hearing more on your collecting and acquisitions!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote