Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th October 2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Sajen

Default Luzon bolo - a tabak?

Not long ago I've purchased this bolo from the bay, the seller thought that it is a Tuareg sword! It was listed several times and the required price went down to a one which was ok for me.
I think that we can call it a tabak, would you agree? Any guess from where on Luzon? Age? I guess first quarter of the 20th century, would you agree?

Like usual all comments are very welcome!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 31st October 2014 at 12:16 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 03:36 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes this is a tabak from the Pampanga region.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Yes this is a tabak from the Pampanga region.
Hello Jose,

thank you very much for confirming and also for the exact origin! Do you have a guess about the age?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 31st October 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef,
I would like to wait until you receive this bolo and can show better photos of the blades tip before I would express an opinion on whether this is a tabak or not. What makes me wonder (besides poor photos of the blades tip) is the scabbard. The fact that it is pointed on the end and not cut to match the end of the blade makes me wonder if this just simply had the tip of the blade broken off at some time. All of the tabaks that I own and have seen so far that still have their original scabbards have the end cut at the same angle as the tip of the blade. Then again, it could be that your example is just different. As for age, the workmanship of your bolo looks to be late 19th to early 20th century to me. Congratulations for another very nice find.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Detlef,
I would like to wait until you receive this bolo and can show better photos of the blades tip before I would express an opinion on whether this is a tabak or not. What makes me wonder (besides poor photos of the blades tip) is the scabbard. The fact that it is pointed on the end and not cut to match the end of the blade makes me wonder if this just simply had the tip of the blade broken off at some time. All of the tabaks that I own and have seen so far that still have their original scabbards have the end cut at the same angle as the tip of the blade. Then again, it could be that your example is just different. As for age, the workmanship of your bolo looks to be late 19th to early 20th century to me. Congratulations for another very nice find.

Best,
Robert
Hello Robert,

have attached a picture of the blade tip. I think that that the scabbard is not the original one ore repaired at the tip but I am unsure about this.
Thank you for your comment and your age guess for the sword, so it could maybe older as I've thought.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 31st October 2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Well, that settles that. Congratulations on your new tabak. The tip of the scabbard is definitely an add on, most likely added by someone who did not know what the end should look like.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Sajen

Thank you Robert!