Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 4th April 2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Ken N

Default Maucher Wheellock hunting rifle - economy version?

I read an excellent thread from a few years back started by member Cornelistromp showing his excellent example of a wheellock sporting rifle attributed to Johann Michael Maucher, last quarter of 17thC.

See thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?p=85109

I have one as well. Mine must be an economy version for the woodwork and Ivory/bone engraving is much more simple in nature.

I have attached some photos showing comparisons between the two. I hope Cornelistromp will not mind my using his photos for this comparison.

You can see by the details that the two rifles could have been produced at the same time or within the same month. Heck, they could have been on Mauchers workbench or in his shop at the same time some 300 years ago. I think it's fascinating. I thought you might as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ken N; 4th April 2017 at 07:22 PM.
Ken N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 01:49 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Welcome to the forum, Ken .
What an amazing situation. I hope Jasper reads this one an offer us his comments.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Marcus den toom

Not an expert on these but i think this is the typical form for a Mullerbuchse
If you look on the internet for Mullerbuchse you will see multiple similar wheellock guns.

Best,
Marcus
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 02:35 PM   #4
Pukka Bundook

Again,

Welcome to the forum Ken!

Very interesting rifle you have, and no, it is not an "economy" grade.
It was made in the Brandenburg area, sometimes called the Brandenburg school, or sometimes "Prussian" school of gunmaking.
It is beautifully made, and actually much more what we would expect from that area in decoration. Jasper's rifle is a Very uncommon piece for this area!
Frederick Wilhelm 1, and later his son, Frederick the great, were rather austere gentlemen, rather frowning on over elaborate decoration in or on anything. Very much plain and simple types.
This spilled over into guns made in that area, and this is why Jaspers is so unusual, and yours is not.
Certain features always ("Always" is a very dangerous word!!) show up in Brandenburg arms, are the bellied stock rounded on the underside, the type of guard as is on yours, 9 times out of ten, High quality craftsmanship but not elaborate, and simple understated stock carving.
Yours ticks all the boxes.
Do you have George Shumway's book on "Jaeger Rifles"?
You will see examples Very similar to this in that publication.
It is thanks to George & his book that I am able to tell you anything at all!

Very nice rifle!

Richard.

PS,

Can you show us the sideplate area, opposite the lock, and a view of the muzzle?
Also, what calibre and barrel length?
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Ken N

Richard:

Thank you for your observations. (and thank you all for your welcome to this forum)

Upon your recommendation; I just ordered the Schumway book.

I am curious. As you have said this rifle was made in the Brandenburg area; are we not to consider it attributed to Johann Michael Maucher of Schwabisch-Gemund? It's a considerable distance between the two places. ( I dare not dismantle the rifle looking for the initials that appear on Cornelistromp's piece) Or is it that Maucher; being a stock-maker, supplied these components to gun-makers as far reaching as Brandenburg?

The barrel length (excluding the 4.1cm tang) is 67.2 cm. The caliber is 16mm with a rifling depth of 1.5mm.

I have attached photos of the plate opposite the lock as well as the muzzle.

Also; interestingly the butt plate has an engraved serial number. I'm not sure if that would indicate (as modern serial numbers do) that there are at least 37 others produced in the identical manner? or could it indicate this is the 38th rifle which this particular gun-maker made.
Attached Images

Old 6th April 2017, 03:23 AM   #6
Philip

Default build-quality trumps decoration

Congratulations, Ken! A wonderful acquisition. There's nothing wrong with simplicity of finish as long as the quality is exceptional, which it is in this case. Also, its exceptional condition really shows off the superlative craftsmanship that went into making this piece -- very instructive example of top-grade fit and finish produced in a pre-industrial setting.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 03:28 AM   #7
Pukka Bundook

Ken,

I think you are being rather kind and understate the distance from Branenburg area! ...It's about as far away as it can get and still be in Germany.
Without spending some time digging, I can not say why your fine rifle, that bears every mark of having been made in the Brandenburg area, should have been made by someone down in SW Germany!

Even the three ivory flower escutcheons around the sidenails are Identical to those seen on some Brandenburg guns, as is the muzzle cap and shape of the buttplate.

I do not have Stockel, but did Johann Michael Maucher serve his time under Elias Shintzel in Berlin by any chance? This work and the latter's are so alike as to appear made by the same hand.
The differing schools had influence over larger areas that at times overlapped, but this does in no way account for your rifle and where it was made. I could understand it if it had merely a n odd feature from N. Germany, but it has No features at all from the area where it appears to have come from!
I am please you have ordered George's book it may help you more than me!
What I can not find at present, is any reference to this maker, yet I Know I have heard of him well enough. Just can't find references at present.

There is no ES stamped into the barrel breech is there? (Still thinking how much it is like Elias Shintzell's work)

I will do some digging Ken, but a grand rifle!

Richard.

Edited to say;
Having re-read you posts, Ken, and I note you say "Attributed to ". Do I understand it correctly that your rifle (and Jaspers maybe? )do not have signatures on them?
Old 6th April 2017, 03:50 AM   #8
Ken N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Having re-read you posts, Ken, and I note you say "Attributed to ". Do I understand it correctly that your rifle (and Jaspers maybe? )do not have signatures on them?
Mine has no signature on it that I am aware of. No ES stamped into the barrel breech.

I must admit that the only reason I had assumed this rifle to be attributed to Johann Michael Maucher is due to it's similarities with the rifle shown by Cornelistromp which according to his thread is so attributed.
Old 6th April 2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Pukka Bundook

Ken,

Do you think that Jasper's lovely rifle may have had the stock carved by J M M?
What I am getting at, is that his rifle has these initials in the bottom of the barrel channel, which May mean that he was the stocker, Or carved an existing stock. It is very high -end work!
Yours is so "Right" for the Brandenburg /Berlin area, that I find it very difficult to think it could come from anywhere else. :-)

Sending you a PM.

Richard.

Edit, Can't send PM for some reason Ken.
Old 6th April 2017, 02:24 PM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
...Can't send PM for some reason Ken...
That was because he wasn't yet a regular member; now you can PM him
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 02:26 PM   #11
Pukka Bundook

Ah, Thank you my friend!!