Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2007, 01:56 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Default NICE OLD CHINESE SWORD

A VERY ATTRACTIVE CHINESE SWORD CLOSED ON EBAY. RECENTLY. IT IS 46.5 IN. LONG, 2.5 IN. WIDE THE BLADE TIP RESEMBLES THOSE FOUND ON SOME CHINESE POLEARMS. THE POMEL IS SILVER AND THE WOOD HANDLE GRIP IS CARVED TO RESEMBLE BAMBOO. THE SELLER SAID IT CAME WITH A STORY THAT IT WAS BROUGHT BACK FROM THE BOXER REBELLION BUT THERE IS NO PROVENANCE. UNFORTUNATELY I NO LONGER HAVE THE EBAY ITEM # BUT WILL SEE IF I CAN POST A FEW PICTURES. PERHAPS ONE OF OUR MEMBERS IS THE NEW OWNER AND CAN GIVE US MORE INFORMATION.
THE PRICE WAS TOO HIGH FOR ME BUT PROBABLY A FAIR ONE FOR THE ITEM.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 03:27 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for posting this Vandoo, as this is probably the most unusual Qing dadao I have seen. The Boxer Rebellion provenance is most probably accurate as so many of these were brought out of China by the varied foreign legations there. These usually had either the standard Manchu type hilt (hooflike) or the familiar ring pommel. I believe these were usually used by Chinese martial artists and were essentially used in these groups including various subversive organizations, and were of course not used by standing military.
The bamboo form grip is something I have not seen before, and I look forward to hearing more on this from those who know more on Chinese weapons. Also, the curious notched profiling on the yelman is most interesting and reminds me of such affectations applied on early Italian sabre forms as well as it seems on an Indian sword Jens posted some time ago. It would be interesting to know if these influences are represented here or if there might have been some sort of symbolism involved. Since the bamboo grip seems to be an aesthetic application, perhaps it is simply to enhance the aesthetic of the blade as well.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default No Prizes for second

Yep I was the second highest bidder and am crying right now, if anyone knows the US based buyer I am very interested in finding out if it is for resale.

thanks

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 06:16 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

FREEBOOTER IF YOU STILL HAVE THE EBAY ITEM NUMBER YOU CAN CLICK ON THE BUYERS NAME AND SEND AN EMAIL TO THE WINNER CONGRADULATING THEM AND ALSO ASKING , IF THEY DECIDE TO SELL IT IN FUTURE TO CONTACT YOU. YOU CAN ALSO PASS ON INFORMATION ABOUT THIS FORUM AND PERHAPS WE MIGHT GET A NEW MEMBER WITH KNOWLEGE IN WEAPONS AND A POST ON THAT COOL SWORD. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent idea Vandoo!
I remember many years ago I bought a sword from a very well known and prominant catalog dealer, and not having nearly enough money I used the old layaway method (not many credit cards then). After completing my payments several months later, I was anxious to receive my new acquisition. Somehow the sword had inadvertantly been sold from under me....the dealer was not only distressed but did everything he could to make it up to me, including selling me instead a fantastic sword from his own collection as well as making me an outstanding deal on another. He revealed the buyer also, who turned out to be a collector with the exact same interest as me, and best of all, he was living not only in my state, but a few miles from me! We became great friends and with our shared interest, began collecting together in the same field as well as studying the swords together. Eventually, I ended up acquiring the piece that had put us together in the first place!
He went on to become extremely prominant himself in arms and armour, and we still keep in touch though my field of study is quite expanded from those early days
Just because a weapon is lost in one auction or sale, certainly does not mean it will not become available at another time. Some of these weapons, as most will agree, have been held in many collections and seeing them turn up is sometimes like seeing an old friend.

All very best regards Vandoo, and happy new year!! Hope its a great one for your always intriguing acquisitions! For some reason I can never get that picture of you wearing the American Indian war bonnet outa my head!!!

Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 01:44 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks guys, I hope it is found.

Here is the ebay link,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....earchZ1QQfviZ1

As suggested I have tried to contact the buyer but ebay security measures are in place and as I was active in the bidding process the highest bidder is protected from me making contact now. I have written to the seller to also do the same as experience has told me that many following up has a better chance. I hope someone in this wonderful community can make contact with this ebayer on my behalf and put us both in contact. At the very least I would love the buyer to share with us anymore information they may know about the sword but if I keep my fingers crossed just long enough who knows what may happen.

many thanks Guys, I love being part of it.

regards

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 1st January 2008 at 04:23 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote