Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st February 2010, 08:44 PM   #1
chregu

Default shark tooth weapon.

good evening
Would like to like to show you one of my favorites. Length 39.5 cm Width 4.5 cm
Have a few questions about this shark tooth weapon.
where those weapons come from everywhere? (according to Stone, Kingsmills Island)
what kind of wood that could be and what kind of shark teeth that might be?
how old the weapon be?
is the condition good?
how rare something?
Many thanks for any help
gruss chregu
Attached Images

chregu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

DUE TO ITS SIZE IT FALLS INTO THE CATEGORY OF DAGGER, I WOULD ESTIMATE IT TO BE NO NEWER THAN THE 1930'S AND IS LIKELY OLDER. IT IS IN GOOD CONDITION FOR ITS TYPE AND AGE, THE CORD BINDINGS AND SHARK TEETH BECOME BRITTLE WITH AGE AND WHERE THE TEETH ARE DRILLED ALSO WEAKENS THEM.
THE ISLANDS WERE CALLED BY SEVERAL DIFFERENT NAMES OVER THE YEARS MARSHALL ISLANDS, GILBERT ISLANDS, KINGSMILL ISLANDS AND NOW ARE CALLED KIRABATI. ONE WAY TO GET AN IDEA OF AGE IS BY ANY WRITINGS ON TAGS OR PROVENANCE. THE BRITISH HELD THE ISLANDS FIRST THEN THE GERMANS THEN THE JAPANESE AND AFTER WW2 THE USA WATCHED OVER THEM UNTIL THEIR INDEPENDENCE.
I SUSPECT THE SHARK TEETH USED ARE MOST LIKELY OCEANIC WHITETIP OR PERHAPS BULL SHARK. MOST EXAMPLES I HAVE SEEN HAVE ONLY ONE TYPE OF SHARK TEETH BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THERE MIGHT BE MORE THAN ONE TYPE SHARK REPRESENTED ON A WEAPON DUE TO LATER REPLACEMENT. A SET OF SHARK JAWS HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH TEETH TO MAKE SEVERAL SUCH DAGGERS AND THE TEETH ON THE LOWER JAW DO DIFFER FROM THOSE ON THE UPPER SO YOU WILL SEE SOME DIFFERENCES. ON YOUR EXAMPLE THE LARGER WIDER TEETH ARE UPPER TEETH AND THE DIFFERENT SHAPED ONES FROM THE LOWER JAW. THE HOLES DRILLED IN YOUR TEETH ARE CRUDE AND THE FIBER CORD IS PROPER OLD HAND MADE KIND AND THE HANDLE LEFT CRUDE (I WONDER IF THEY WERE ORIGINALLY COVERED WITH SOME SORT OF FIBER WHICH IS NOW MISSING, BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN OLD EXAMPLE WITH A FIBER COVER) ALL OF THE ABOVE INDICATE AGE, THE BLADE IS ALSO PROPPER FOR OLD EXAMPLES WITH THE RAISED CENTER. THE BRITTLE FIBER CORD AND PATINA ARE CONSISTANT FOR A OLD TRADITIONALLY MADE DAGGER. I HOPE THIS ANSWERS SOME QUESTIONS YOU CAN ALSO GOOGLE THE VARIOUS ISLAND NAMES AND READ THE HISTORY OF THE AREA AND PERHAPS FIND MORE ON THE ANCIENT SOCIETY. CONGRADULATIONS A NICE SPECIMIN
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 10:35 PM   #3
fearn

Hi Chregu,

These have shown up previously (here and here among other places). I think they're still making these for tourists in Kiribati.

Name: Tetoanea. Te is the definite particle, like "the" in English (calling it "the tetoanea" is a duplication). Tebutje (Stone's name) isn't a word in I-Kiribati. I-Kiribati is similar to Polynesian languages, in that a consonants always followed by a vowel, and they don't have "j". No one's figured out where tebutje came from, to my knowledge.

As Vandoo noted, it's probably from Kiribati (which is an indigenous version of "Gilbert" from the old name, Gilbert Islands. They didn't have a collective name for the archipelago before, and adopted the English name). On the longer weapons (e.g. te unun), they usually brace the teeth with splints along the base, under the wrapping (look here to see what I'm talking about). The wood appears to be coconut, outside possibility of it being pandanus.

I agree with Vandoo on the teeth as well--they look like they're from a requiem shark which includes both bull and reef white tip.

Best,

F
Tetoanea
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:16 AM   #4
Nathaniel

Chregu,

These shark tooth weapons are truly wicked...I would hate to see the nasty gashes made by a slash with one of these. The Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawai'i in the USA has a fantastic weapons collection that are shark teeth lined...that is the extent of what I've seen Thanks for sharing..and comments Fern and Vandoo
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:47 PM   #5
chregu

Default Many thanks to you all for your help

hello together
Many thanks to you all for your help.
a piece of information I have forgotten, this weapon I have, together with other objects from a legacy of a captain of the 1915-1925 was purchased at sea. He has brought many beautiful souvenirs to take home from all over the world.
gruss chregu
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:27 PM   #6
fearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Chregu,

These shark tooth weapons are truly wicked...I would hate to see the nasty gashes made by a slash with one of these. The Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawai'i in the USA has a fantastic weapons collection that are shark teeth lined...that is the extent of what I've seen Thanks for sharing..and comments Fern and Vandoo
Back a number of years ago, a forumite actually chopped some cardboard with a shark-tooth weapon, just to see how it cut. He wasn't able to slash with it. As I recall, the teeth went in just fine, but when he pulled for the draw cut, the teeth grabbed rather than slicing. So instead of getting sliced by one of these, apparently you get a row of puncture wounds to gashes.

Hopefully that thread is sitting in the old archives somewhere. The archive search doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Best,

F
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:15 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

THE DAGGER THAT STARTED THIS POST IS STRAIGHT AND HAS A LANYARD SO I SUSPECT IT WAS ONLY USED FOR A DAGGER. THERE ARE MANY SIMULAR CURVED DAGGERS THAT WERE OFTEN USED AS GAURDS ON THE LONGER WEAPONS AND ARE OFTEN FOUND DETACHED.

A PICTURE OF THIS GAURD IT HAS A SINGLE BUT I HAVE SEEN THEM WITH A DOUBBLE GAURD.

A PICTURE OF A SAWFISH WEAPON WHICH I THINK IS PROBABLY THE INSPIRATION FOR SHARK TOOTH WEAPONS OF THE SORT FOUND ON THE GILBERT IS. IT IS NOT A SLASHING WEAPON BUT ONE THAT INFLICTS DEEP MULTIPLE PUNCTURES AND POSSIBLY BROKEN BONES.

A PICTURE OF A WARRIOR IN ARMOR WITH A LONG POLE ARM I HAVE SEEN A 6 FOOT ONE BUT THIS APPEARS TO BE LONGER.

A EXAMPLE OF A OLD CURVED SWORD 25 INCHES LONG

A EXAMPLE OF THE CURRENT SOUVINEER OR CEREMONIAL TYPE WITH DECORATIVE FIBER COVER.
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Nathaniel

A few years back I stumbled upon the Hawai'ian martial Art of Lua.

Off the 'Õlohe Solomon Kaihewalu Lua Hâlau O Kaihewalu Schools website here is a list they have of weapons...some of which you see are shark tooth lined:

http://www.olohe.com/weapons-of-lua.html
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 08:17 PM   #9
chregu

Default Tetoanea or Rere ?

Hi Fearn
I found something in the internet. in tepapa Museum in New Sealand.
The bestzen 2 pce with images. But there they are called Rere shark tooth weapon.
Are you sure that Tetoanea is the name, or did you simply read on the specified link?
gruss chregu
Old 8th March 2010, 07:19 PM   #10
fearn

Hi Chregu,

You could be right. See URL=http://www.trussel.com/kir/less01.htm]link to Kiribati language[/URL] . Thanks for spotting that. I took the names in the illustration at face value (it's from an old ethnographic report I checked out of the library many years ago), but it looks like rere is in the dictionary I linked to, but tetoanea is not. Learned something new!

Best,

F
Old 27th July 2010, 06:39 PM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS OLD PICTURE OF THE WAY FIGHTS WERE SET UP IN THE MARSHALL ISLANDS IN THE OLD DAYS. NOTE SOME HAD THE HEAVY FIBER ARMOR AND OTHERS DID NOT, ALSO NOTE THE LEGNTH OF THE WEAPONS. ONE OF THE WEAPONS APPEARS TO HAVE THE DOUBBLE SHORTER GAURDS GIVING IT THREE POINTS KIND OF LIKE A BIG TRIDENT. I DON'T HAVE THE SOFTWARE TO CLEAN UP THE PHOTO SO IF ANYONE ELSE DOES FEEL FREE TO IMPROVE IT. I CAN'T ACTUALLY SEE THE SHARK TEETH BUT SUSPECT THEY ARE THERE.
Attached Images

Old 28th July 2010, 12:00 AM   #12
fearn

Hi Vandoo,

Is that Marshalls, or Kiribati (Gilberts)? I thought that sennit armor was unique to Kiribati.

Best,

F
Old 28th July 2010, 01:34 AM   #13
VANDOO
(deceased)

THOSE ARE ALL THE VARIOUS NAMES FOR THE SAME ISLANDS OVER TIME. KIRABATI IS THE LATEST NAME FOR THEM THESE PICTURES WOULD HAVE DATED FROM THE MARSHALL OR KINGSMILL DAYS.
Old 28th July 2010, 04:20 AM   #14
fearn

I'm pretty sure the Marshall Islands (currently Republic of the Marshall Islands) isn't the same as Kiribati (currently Republic of Kiribati). In I-Kiribati, "ti" is pronounced "s", and if you say the name, I think you can hear that Kiribati is a transliteration of "Gilbert." (Kiribas).

I'd love to see some spears from the Marshall Islands, though.

Best,

F
Old 28th July 2010, 03:45 PM   #15
josh stout

I am always impressed with the depth of knowledge here. As mentioned, the white tipped reef shark is a good possibility because it is common in shallow waters; however, the teeth should have two small points on either side of the large tooth. The other species given as a possibility, the bull shark has teeth that match much better. The genus Carcharhinus (whaler sharks) has over 50 species, all with similar teeth to the ones on the dagger. Bull sharks are a member of the genus, are fairly common, and feed in shallow waters. Also, they have a reputation as man-eaters and therefore would be an excellent candidate for magical reasons as well.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 03:58 PM   #16
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

KIRIBATI IS A GROUP OF ISLANDS NORTH OF TODAYS MARSHALL ISLANDS AND TODAY THAY ARE CONSIDERED DIFFERENT GROUPS AND NATIONS. PERHAPS IN THE PAST THEY WERE ALL GROUPED TOGETHER BY EUROPEANS??? HOW WIDE SPREAD THIS ARMOR AND WEAPON WAS THRUOUT MICRONESIA I DO NOT KNOW.
AT ANY RATE I HAVE SEEN THE WEAPONS AND ARMOR LISTED OVER THE YEARS AS FROM THE MARSHALL ISLANDS, KINGSMILL ISLANDS ,GILBERT ISLANDS AND MORE RECENTLY AS KIRABATI. AS TO WEATHER THE ARMOR OR SPECIFIC TYPES OF SHARK TOOTH WEAPONS WERE DIFFERENT ON EACH ISLAND OR GROUP OF ISLANDS I HAVE NO REFRENCES TO FIND OUT. I SUSPECT THERE WERE VARIATIONS PERHAPS BASED ON THE TRIBE OR INDIVIDUAL FAMILY DESIGNS (NOTE THE DIFFERENCES IN THE DESIGN OF THE ARMOR ESPECIALLY THE BACK/ HEAD GUARDS IN THE ABOVE PICTURE) NOTE ALSO THE TWO INDIVIDUALS WITHOUT FULL ARMOR DO HAVE A PROTECTIVE GIRDLE AND GRASS SKIRT.
THESE CHEST AND BELLY GIRDLES ARE ALSO USED IN NEW GUINEA AND SOME OF THE ISLANDS IN THE REGION. SHARK TOOTH WEAPONS ARE USED IN NEW GUINEA AND HAWAII AS WELL. I STILL SUSPECT THIS WAS CEREMONIAL COMBAT NOT OPEN WAR. ON AN ISLAND WAR AS THE EUROPEANS PRACTICED IT DID NOT MAKE SENSE AS IF EVERYTHING WAS DESTROYED OFTEN EVERYONE PERISHED. THE RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENT ARE IN A DELICATE BALANCE ON AN ISLAND AND IF YOU FOUL YOUR NEST THERE IS NO WHERE TO GO. THE FACE OFF IN THE PICTURE APPEARS TO BE KIND OF LIKE A DUEL WITH THE TWO WARRIORS AND THEIR SECONDS. AT ANY RATE THE TWO GROUPS INVOLVED ARE THERE TO CHEER THEIR TEAM ON AND PERHAPS IT DECIDED WHO GOT TO HARVEST THE COCONUTS IN A CERTAN PRIME PART OF THE ISLAND THAT YEAR OR SOME OTHER THING. THIS WOULD MAKE SENSE AS IT WAS JUST COMPETICIAN AND TAUGHT PRIDE IN YOUR GROUP AND INSPIRED WARRIORS TO WORK HARD AND DO THEIR BEST FOR THE TEAM (TRIBE OR FAMILY).
SHARKS WERE MENTIONED THE OCEANIC WHITETIP AND THE REEF WHITETIP ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. THE REEF WHITE TIP IS MUCH SMALLER AND LIVES NEAR LAND OR REEFS AND IS NOT A THREAT TO MAN. THE OCEANIC WHITE TIP IS AN OPEN WATER SPECIES AND OCCURS IN VERY LARGE NUMBERS. THOUGH YOU SELDOM HEAR OF IT IS WAS INVOLVED IN MANY OF THE LARGE FEEDING FRENZYS WHEN SHIPS WERE SUNK DURING THE WARS. IT IS ALSO ONE OF THE LARGE SHARKS THAT LIKE TO FOLLOW SHIPS AND EAT WHAT IS THROWN OVERBOARD. I HAVE SEEN IT IN VERY LARGE NUMBERS AROUND THE NORTH OF NEW GUINEA IT COMES NEAR ISLANDS WHERE THERE ARE WALLS (UNDER WATER CLIFF DROP OFF) WITH DEEP WATER CLOSE TO LAND. I SAW A LARGE GROUP PATROLLING A WALL THAT WERE FROM 16 TO 18 FEET LONG , LUCKILY THEY WERE FULL OF FISH AND LIKELY CONSIDER A DIVER TOO UGLY TO EAT.

Last edited by VANDOO; 28th July 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 28th July 2010, 04:15 PM   #17
fearn

Hi Vandoo,

Yes and no. The Kiribati weapons like the one that started this thread are unique to that archipelago. Shark teeth on weapons are found all over the place, including on clubs in Indonesia. If we want to get technical, there are different ways of attaching the teeth to the club, and the Kiribati came up with one way (where the teeth are tied to thin splints of wood, which is tied to the club) that so far has only popped up there and maybe on Truk/Chuuk in knuckle dusters.

As for warfare, where to start? Supposedly, the northern Kiribati group were invaded and taken over by a group of exile Samoans. These islanders were known for raiding the southern islands for slaves, women, and whatever. Even today, northern Kiribati is governed by chiefs, while the southern islands are governed more democratically by groups of elders.

There are lots of stories of groups from Tonga, Samoa, and Fiji raiding outlying islands, and occasionally, outlying islands returning the favor. The Fijians thought it was proper to launch their warships (the ndruas) over the bodies of 4-5 human sacrifices (captured from...?). The Carolines were even raided by one or two Papuan tribes.

Let's not forget the Hawaiian wars of conquest, ending with Kamehameha. Or Easter Island. Or whatever happened to the Henderson Island/Mangareva group, which was totally depopulated by the time Europeans arrived.

Or the history of conquest and blackbirding that started when the Europeans arrived.

Island warfare was a small-scale affair, if only because tens to hundreds, rarely thousands of people were involved, not the tens of thousands we think about with modern European warfare. Still, they were pretty serious affairs.

I agree that coral atolls are small and fairly limited, but that also made them vulnerable, and there's no real place to hide on a small atoll, either. So they fought.

Fortunately, at least in Micronesia, they typically had enough ties with other islands that, if things got bad enough, through storm, drought, or war, the survivors could move in with relatives on other islands, until they rebuilt their gardens and could resettle.

Best,

F
Old 29th July 2010, 04:05 AM   #18
VANDOO
(deceased)

Cool

PERHAPS HERE WOULD BE A GOOD POST TO PUT IN A LITTLE SHARK INFO AND PICTURES.
PICTURE #2 TIGER SHARK. #1. SIX GILL SHARK
#6. TIGERSHARK #3. GREAT WHITE, #4.BULL SHARK
#5. OCEANIC WHITE TIP #11. SIX GILL, BOTTOM TEETH
#10. DENTICIAN SHOWING TOP AND BOTTOM, BULL SHARK
#9. OCEANIC WHITE TIP TOOTH. #8. SEVEN GILL SHARK
#7. SAND TIGER SHARK

THE PICTURES WERE IN ORDER I DO HATE IT WHEN THEY CHANGE.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 30th July 2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 29th July 2010, 04:54 AM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE SIX AND SEVEN GILL SHARKS ARE DEEP WATER AND SEEM TO BE A PREFERRED TYPE FOR USE ON THE MAORI MARIPI A KNIFE USED TO CUT HUMAN FLESH.
#1.A OCEANIC WHITE TIP, AROUND 13 FEETLONG
#2 WHITE TIP REEF SHARK GETS UP TO A LITTLE OVER 5 FEET LONG, MOSTLY A BOTTOM FEEDER.
#3. TIGERSHARK KNUCKLEDUSTER, #4 GREAT WHITE SHARK TOOTH HAWAIIAN CLUB. VARIOUS TIGER SHARK TOOTH CLUBS #5. THREE MAORI MARIPI , #6 PLATE WITH ONE MARAIPI AND CLUB, ECT.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 29th July 2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 15th August 2010, 12:38 PM   #20
Ron Anderson

Post Taap Knife

Hello all

I arrive on this thread late as I am a new member.

I live in Australia and recently acquired what is known as a Taap knife here - an aboriginal hand held weapon with shark's teeth.

I post this out of interest as it was an unknown fact to me and most people I know that such things existed in Australia. These shark tooth weapons are of course pretty common in Polynesia and elsewhere.

People I've spoken to are of the opinion this knife is well over a 100 years old as such things are no longer seen. Or, at the very least, are extremely uncommon.

I will post a picture of the item. I think you'll see if is quite unusual.

If anyone out there has encountered another of these, I'd very interested to know.

Regards
Ron Anderson
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 04:58 PM   #21
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A FEW MORE PICTURES OF SHARK TOOTH WEAPONS, TOOLS AND ARMOR. THE FIRST 4 PICTURES ARE FROM THE MUSEUM IN AUCKLAND NEW ZEALAND WHICH HAS MORE MAORI AND OTHER OCEANIC WEAPONS AND ART ON DISPLAY THAN ANY OTHER I HAVE VISITED AND SHOULD NOT BE MISSED IF YOU ARE EVER THERE. PICTURE #5 IS FROM THE CHRISTCHURCH NEW ZEALAND MUSEUM AND SHOWS 2 LONG EXAMPLES OF THE TOOTHED SPEARS. #6. I TRIED TO CLEAN UP A PICTURE POSTED PREVIOUSLY OF COMBAT. MY CAMERA AND MY PHOTO SKILLS ARE LACKING SO I APOLOGIZE FOR PICTURE QUALITY. JUDGING FROM THE MUSEUM DATA BASE SOURCES, THE MAJORITY OF THEIR ARTIFACTS ARE NOT ON DISPLAY, BUT IN STORAGE. THE ONE WITH THE MOST AND LARGEST VARIETY ON DISPLAY WAS THE MUSEUM IN AUCKLAND THE DISPLAYS IN CHRISTCHURCH WERE VERY GOOD FOR MAORI ITEMS. THE NATIONAL MUSEUM IN WELLINGTON HAS LESS ON DISPLAY BUT SOME ITEMS WITH IMPORTANT MAORI HISTORICAL PROVENANCE. ALL THREE ARE VERY GOOD AND SHOULD NOT BE MISSED. THE MUSEUM IN DUNEDIN IS MOSTLY TRANSPORTATION RELATED BUT DOES HAVE SOME MAORI ITEMS ON DISPLAY. THERE ARE INTERESTING SMALL LOCAL MUSEUMS LOCATED IN SMALLER TOWNS THRU-OUT NEW ZEALAND. A WONDERFUL COUNTRY TO VISIT AND I SUSPECT TO LIVE IN.
Attached Images

Old 25th May 2016, 05:28 PM   #22
Shakethetrees

Last year I visited the Peabody Museum at Harvard. It had been about forty years since I last visited and remember viewing a group of Gilbert Islands weapons and fiber armor.

I didn't have great hope things would be the same, since these days museums have gotten away from dusty glass cases filled with relics to highlighting single objects with some sort of interpretive display nearby.

But, to my surprise, it's still on display, along with a fair amount of other weapons and ethnographic material.

If you ever find yourself in The Boston area, it might be worth your time to go for a visit. But, beware! Parking anywhere nearby is an absolute nightmare!

Sorry the image is a little out of focus. Shooting through glass with lights everywhere is tricky!
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 03:48 AM   #23
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS EXAMPLE OF THE ARMOR IT SHOWS HOW THE SECTION WITH THE LARGE SECTION TO PROTECT THE BACK OF THE HEAD IS ATTACHED AND THE EXTRA PROTECTION IT GIVES TO THE SIDES AND KIDNEYS.
SEVERAL OF THESE SETS OF ARMOR HAVE VERY FEW BLACK DESIGNS LIKE THE ONE YOU POST WHILE OTHERS HAVE QUITE A LOT. I WONDER IF THEY DENOTE THE RANK OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR THE NUMBER OF TIMES HE HAS FOUGHT OR HIS TEAM (TRIBE, VILLAGE OR ISLAND) ? NOTE THE DESIGNS ON THE TWO WARRIORS IN ARMOR IN THE PICTURE OF THE FIGHT ABOVE. SOME PICTURES FOR COMPARISON USE THE PICTURES IN POSTS ABOVE ALSO. NOTE THAT THE DESIGN APPEARS TO BE DIAMOND SHAPED IN MANY BUT ARE SHAPED LIKE FISH IN ONE EXAMPLE.
#1. SUIT IN AUCKLAND MUSEUM MUCH LIKE YOUR EXAMPLE
#2. LISTED AS FROM THE GILBERT ISLANDS
#3. LISTED AS GILBERT IS.
#4. LISTED AS KIRIBATI WARRIORS, LOOKS LIKE THE SAME GROUP POSED FOR THE FIGHT PICTURE IN THE POSTS ABOVE.
#5. LISTED AS KIRIBATI
#6. LISTED AS GILBERT IS.
#7. 1841 SKETCH DRUMMOND IS;AND WARRIOR KINGSMILL ISLANDS
#8. GILBERT ISLANDS
#9. GILBERT ISLANDS
#10. KINGSMILL ISLANDS ARMOR , GERMAN BOOK
#11. KINGSMILL ISLANDS tHIS IS A DIFFERENT FORM THAT COVERS FRONT AND BACK.
#12. GILBERT ISLANDS ARMOR , FRONT AND BACK FORM.

SORRY ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE PICTURES MANY WERE TOO SMALL AND DARK TO DO MUCH WITH.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 26th May 2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 26th May 2016, 09:47 PM   #24
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

MORE ARMOR AND WEAPONS FROM KINGSMILL, GILBERT, MARSHALL, KIRIBATI ISLANDS REGION. DIFFERENT NAMES FOR THE SAME PLACES OVER TIME WITH NO SPECIFICS DO MUDDY THE WATERS.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2016, 05:02 PM   #25
VANDOO
(deceased)

A OLD EXAMPLE OF A INTERESTING SHARK TOOTH POLE SPEAR. THERE ARE 4 ROWS OF TEETH 2 ROWS WITH THE TEETH POINTING FORWARD AND TWO ROWS WITH THE TEETH POINTING BACKWARD. TWO ROWS GO ALL THE WAY TO THE TIP AND TWO GO TWO THIRDS OF THE WAY. IT IS 81.5 CM. LONG BUT APPEARS THAT SOME OF THE POLE MAY HAVE BEEN CUT OFF IN THE PAST.
THE TWO OLD PICTURES OF THE WARRIORS FACING OFF AND OF THEM STANDING WITH WEAPONS IN THE ABOVE POSTS, WAS FROM A 3 BOOK SET IN GERMAN CALLED " DIE SITTEN DER VOLKER" PUBLISHED IN 1920.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 1st June 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 9th June 2016, 07:13 PM   #26
VANDOO
(deceased)

PICTURE OF A VARIATION OF THE SHARKTOOTH SPEAR/CLUB FOUND IN THE MUSEUM IN AUCKLAND NEW ZEALAND
Attached Images

Old 24th August 2016, 06:45 PM   #27
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

TWO EXCEPTIONALLY FINE LONG SHARK TOOTH SPEARS RECENTLY ENDED AT AUCTION. ONE HAS A TIP MADE OF LARGE STINGRAY SPINES, BOTH APPEAR TO BE GOOD OLD EXAMPLES. THESE TWO EXAMPLES ARE 11 FEET BY 2.5 IN. OR 335 X 6.3 CM. LONG. DESCRIBED AS 19TH. CENTURY MAKE OF WOOD AND TIGER SHARK TEETH WITH A TIP ON ONE WITH STINGRAY SPINES AND A LITTLE REMAINING OF A FIBER WRAP. NOTE THE TEETH POINT ONE WAY TOWARD THE TIP BUT CHANGE ABOUT HALFWAY DOWN TO THE OTHER DIRECTION. THERE IS A WOODEN CROSS GUARD WITHOUT TEETH ON ONE EXAMPLE. IT LOOKS LIKE THEY WERE MOUNTED AND DISPLAYED AS A PAIR IN THE PAST.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 24th August 2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 19th October 2016, 04:47 PM   #28
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

#1. ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF AN OLD GILBERT ISLAND DAGGER ,19TH. CENTURY, 58 CM. LONG.
#2. GILBERT ISLAND STAMPS FEATURING SHARK TOOTH WEAPONS AND ARMOR.
Attached Images

Old 19th October 2016, 05:42 PM   #29
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
#1. ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF AN OLD GILBERT ISLAND DAGGER ,19TH. CENTURY, 58 CM. LONG.
Exactly this piece I've handled yesterday, a very old piece with great patina.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 09:31 PM   #30
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

#1. & #2. REPLICA OF SHARK TOOTH CLUB MADE WITH LARGE FOSSIL SHARK TEETH. THESE FOSSIL SHARK TEETH ARE FOUND IN NORTH AND SOUTH AMERICA AND WERE USED FOR VARIOUS THINGS INCLUDING WEAPONS.
#3. TWENTITH CENTURY REPLICA OF A SEMINOLE SHARK TOOTH WEAPON 15.25 IN. LONG
#4. KIRIBATI ARMOR CUIRASS AND SWORD
#5. WARRIOR WEARING FIBER ARMOR KIRIBATI
Attached Images