Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2007, 06:59 AM   #1
t_c

Default First Keris

You never really appreciate how exciting it is until it's actually in your hands!
This is the first Keris in my collection (one kris though ). I may have paid a bit too much but I just really loved the aesthetics/form of the handle and blade and was very happy to find one like this. The keris is smaller than I expected (31cm ~ 12.5"overall), but that's ok. The piece needs a little TLC though (cleaning, scabbard restoration, and a mendak?). I don't know what the origin is (I'm still learning a lot); my best guess is that it's (mid?) 20th century Malaysian, but I would appreciate any input on region, age, etc.

I have a couple of restoration questions too as I'm planning on cleaning the blade and restoring the scabbard.
First: How would the blade surface be traditionally finished based on it's origin: a simple etch with citrus or a full "stain" with an arsenic compound? How widespread was the practice of treating blades with arsenic? The photos don't pick it up really well, but the blade seems to be well laminated.
Second: I need to put an end cap on the scabbard, but traditionally would the end cap match the wood at the top or was it solely at the artist's discretion. I am thinking of using tagua nut (fake ivory) for the cap. I have seen this on some scabbards (not necessarily keris) using ivory and really like it.

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by t_c; 5th June 2007 at 07:13 AM.
t_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Newsteel

Congratulation for your first keris. Yes !!! Beautiful indeed.

I think that is a Pattani keris typically originated from northern Malaysia (kelantan or Terengganu) or possibly southern Thailand. The dapur is Pandai Saras Luk 7.

Using some citrus acid from lime would do good to restore the blade (etch). Not much of rust observed there. No need for warangan (arsenic). I would not bother to make the end cap (or buntut) with fake ivory. If you can't find ivory, a good hardwood would also do good.

By the way the mendak is missing there. I leave the others to comment further. Overall, it is a nice piece.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Alam Shah

Default A nice piece...

Congrats on your 1st keris. A rather nice piece.
I tend to agree with Newsteel's opinion, the profile is Northern Peninsular Malaysia or Southern Thailand, but in this case, most likely Pattani.

The hilt is in the Northern Pekaka/Perkaka form, with a high balung (back of the hilt) and protuding beak-like feature.

The sheath is nice, I especially like the pattern at the centre of the cross-piece.

As mentioned, the pendokok/pendongkok (hilt cup) is missing. A silver pendokok would complement the piece. Here are some examples, click [here], and [here] for an openwork-style.

As for the blade treatment, I suggest adopting Newsteel's suggestion.
The lamination lines should appear more prominent afterwards.

As for the end-piece, I stand by Newsteel's opinion.
Now that you've bought your 1st piece, I wish you good luck... very soon you'll see it increase...

Last edited by Alam Shah; 6th June 2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: grammar...
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
Henk

I completely agree with Newsteel and Alam Shah. Nothing to add.

Very nice piece!!
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 01:22 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Nice keris !

I agree with the others about the buntut; Tagua or Ivory might be a bit over the top; stick with wood.

I might have a piece of dark Apple wood (about the shade of the wrongko) you can have gratis; it carves beautifully.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 01:36 AM   #6
Newsteel

To add, having this good profile blade and that high balung pekaka hilt is a bonus. You may also want to buffer polish the scabbard and the stem (sampir and batang) to make it even better.

Geee... I myself haven't got the chance to collect a good Pattani keris.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote