Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd July 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Flavio

Default MORO SILVER HILTED

Here is a nice kris that maybe someone already knows I have etched the blade but there is something strange: the area near the gangya shows a clear lamination, but the rest of the blade is black!!! Anyway, even if the pictures are quite bad, you can see a nice lamination. Maybe this is due to many and many deep polishings of the blade that have removed the "superficial" steel, and so the original lamination that is something like you see near the ganya???? Any comment is welcome and appreciated
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

That is an unexpected occurrence. Is it possible that there are two parts to this blade. ? In the motor trade it might be known as a cut and shut.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:06 PM   #3
kai

Hello Flavio,

That one wasn't cheap.

Quote:
I have etched the blade but there is something strange: the area near the gangya shows a clear lamination, but the rest of the blade is black!!! Anyway, even if the pictures are quite bad, you can see a nice lamination. Maybe this is due to many and many deep polishings of the blade that have removed the "superficial" steel, and so the original lamination that is something like you see near the ganya????
I suspect you may have a real winner here... Could you please email larger close-ups of the blade?

The original sandwich construction is certainly still intact: I do see blurry laminations towards the tip of the blade. I think you're just in for some more rounds of polishing and etching to get a very pleasing result - go for it!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:57 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

Agree with Kai; I think I might see a twist core hiding in there ..
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Bill

I agree with Kai & Rick that it would be worth it to re-polish & etch again. I have a wavey kris that is somewhat simular. The inner core much lighter, the outside almost being black (I've never etched it). In almost the same place as in Flavio's kriss, mine also has the same characteristics except it's a very distinct line that's the same on both sides. I've always assumed that it is a quench line but I'm far from certain. My sword has held a very sharp edge. Usually I have noticed, while etching, old rust area's will come out dark/black; but definitely, some steels will etch out almost black while others in the same blade stay light.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill; 24th July 2007 at 02:07 AM.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 07:10 AM   #6
kai

Hello Bill,

Quote:
I have a wavey kris that is somewhat simular. The inner core much lighter, the outside almost being black (I've never etched it). In almost the same place as in Flavio's kriss, mine also has the same characteristics except it's a very distinct line that's the same on both sides. I've always assumed that it is a quench line but I'm far from certain.
No, not a quench line: Your's is a perfect example of the usual sandwich construction with the outer steel with less carbon (but more tensile strength) partly covering the central plate of harder high carbon steel. Both steels can show laminations although this is usually only obvious within the low carbon steel (both for twist core as well as more laminar/random pattern welded blades).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Bill

Kai, Sorry but the picture doesn't show my point well. I'm not set up for pics right now & added this one as a after-thought to my post (I had it on disk). There is a faint line on the pic (very strong on visual expection) about 5 cm from the hilt. The outer darkness stays the same on both sides of the line but the inner core has noticable differences in the lamination. That is the line, that may be a quench line. I assume the smith started by making a straight sword, adding the waves after. Would he use constant quenching to keep previous "waves" from being distorted as he preceded? Kris generally keep a very sharp edge, this one is even sharper then the usual, another reason it may have a unusual quench "marking"?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote