Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2021, 04:37 PM   #1
ausjulius

Default axes in Madagascar

back to the mystery land of madagascar
at the 15:00 mark in the video you can see they have axes to shape the log and both have the handles extending about 20 cm or 30 cm further than the head of the axe. very very strange..i really do wounder what this is for and also if anyone has any information about this. seems very odd..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBwlCiW2FOE
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 04:50 PM   #2
kronckew

That's a bit odd, but the bowl carvers a bit further into the video are using axes with the extended part cut off more like we'd expect.

Tool axes are normally hafted with the head having the haft joined from the bottom into the parallel sided socket, wedged to tighten, and the protrusion cut off. This has the disadvantage of any shrinkage or loosening allowing the head to fly off.

Tomahawks are usually provided with a tapering socket, wider at the top. The grip end of the haft is smaller than the business end, and the head is moved up until stopped by the taper of the upper end. it is then sawn off, either flush or leaving a bit sticking out -which allows you to just tap the end on the ground or something hard to re-tighten the head. Weapon axes can be made this way too. One does not want one's axe head to fly off at the wrong time. I have a large Dane axe like that. The video ones are likely made like that.

These guys have taken that a bit too far tho. I expect it would interfere with your swing in tight spaces. Or if you want to square a tree for use as a beam when it is lying on the ground.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 01:30 PM   #3
ausjulius

yeah, ive very curious about it too. they are only working and cutting wood as their means of employment in the video i can see 3 axe types all quite conventional the madagascan axes appear to be decended from arab in indian axes.. the heavy thick headed narrow axe later in the film looks identical to an indian axe. ive seen othersmall axes used as weapons, like tomahawks that are almost identical to hammerheaded axes in oman and persia. some with metal bands or furrels on the grip. .. so the locals know about axes and have some verity.

it seems very intentional that their axe handles are sticking past the axe head but for what reason i do not know. seems totally unhealpful for theaxes use
Old 7th August 2021, 06:57 PM   #4
Ren Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausjulius View Post
it seems very intentional that their axe handles are sticking past the axe head but for what reason i do not know. seems totally unhealpful for theaxes use
This is a reasonable question that was flying in the air.
I have a guess that the ax handles are made from freshly felled wood. When the wood of these handles becomes dry, the heads of the axes can be pushed deeper and cut off the excess part (perhaps I did not describe this process correctly in English).
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2021, 04:26 AM   #5
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ren View Post
This is a reasonable question that was flying in the air.
I have a guess that the ax handles are made from freshly felled wood. When the wood of these handles becomes dry, the heads of the axes can be pushed deeper and cut off the excess part (perhaps I did not describe this process correctly in English).
i doubt it. they have other regular axes they use to shape the wood that are hafted normally, several different types. the axes are well used in the video and both the same the hadles are not fresh.. and you wouldn't need 20 or 30cm of wood sticking above your axe.. 3 or 4 cms on wet green wood at most.
this is totally baffling id love to just call one of those guys and say "what on earth do you have your axes like this for?!".. if i ever get a chance to go to madagascar ill save this video travel to these people and ask them!

also these people are a rather isolated group so asking a regular madagascan probably wouldnt help as theyed be familiar with "regular axes"...

its really quite curious in the video you cal also see some tools the women have that are very similar to naga or ifugao "war axes" .. being very thick odd shaped cleaver like blades on a short shaft. curious tools

Old 10th August 2021, 04:46 AM   #6
ausjulius

here is another one
https://www.novethic.fr/actualite/en...es-143913.html

his axe is well worn and the top of the handle shows some damage.. this is most odd. and its only some axes . im guessing the man in the image is of a related group as it says its in the south east and also the roofs are similar.. form split bamboo.. although the houses are clay... but that type of split bamboo roof seems to be only in one part of madagascar so id say this probably a relative ethnic group.
its really very odd.