Gavin Nugent

Default Interesting recovery

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...nt_6399567.htm
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 02:08 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Gav,
This is an interesting announcement, and it would be great to see the sword, as the emphasis seems to be on the pristine scabbard. It would be interesting to see if this is a bronze or iron sword. Though swords were in fully developed form by this time, it seems unclear whether this is the earliest example excavated as claimed. Perhaps it might mean for the region rather than overall?
I'm glad to see some reference to Chinese weapons here, and you seem to be gaining an interest in them with this post as well as the jian you also posted. Really interesting topic and look forward to more.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 02:26 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default G'day Jim

Hi Jim, I too found it quite fasinating and more so when I did further google searches on the excavation. I too am still looking for information pertaining to the composition of the actual sword, but it may be to fragile to remove from the scabbard...
I have had a great interest in Chinese weapons and artifacts for a few years now and have obatined some beautiful pieces too, some of which have been objects of many peoples desires.
The purchase of the Jian has been a long time coming, they are just so hard to find. I wished to complete what I consider the 3 most important Chinese martial weapons, the Sabre, Jian and Dao and I have now done that, though if however I was to find an antique spear, I too would like to add that to the collection.
All the best Jim and it is good to find the site up and running again.

regards

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 03:43 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Gav,
Found an interesting item on Chinese sword unearthing that might be pertinant:
"The Sword of Gou Jian, King of Yue State and the Spear of Fu Chai, King of Wu State", Hu Bei Provincial Museum, 1984

This sword was apparantly unearthed in December,1965 in Tomb #1, in Wang Shan, 7km NW Ji Nan City, by archaeologists of Hu Bei Provincial Museum .

The sword is described as 55.6 cm.long and joining part of body and handle is 5 cm.wide. It is noted the sword, when unearthed was still in a wooden sheath painted with black lacquer. The bronze weapons of Wu and Yue states were apparantly well known in the Spring & Autumn Period and the Warring States Period.

The chemical analysis of Gou Jian's sword revealed alloy of bronze, tin, lead, iron and sulfur etc. and it is noted the ridge contains a higher proportion of bronze for strength, while blade has more tin to make it hard and sharp. (for our metallurgists I am citing from the brochure). It is also noted that the black color on the swords 'body' , joining part and handle results from vulcanization, then newly invented to prevent patination on bronze.

Gou Jian reigned 496-465 BC and Hu Bei province is adjacent to and NW of Jiangxi where this recent discovery was found.

I thought this would prove interesting in comparison, especially that these swords are found in such remarkable preservation.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote