Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th June 2005, 03:58 AM   #1
kai

Question Keris Lurus in Yogyakarta fittings

Dear Kerisophiles,

Since we're getting so much valuable input on Keris from Java I'd like to throw in another example. It still keeps amazing me how much can be gleaned from all these Ricikan details. However, I'd really appreciate to get more hints on how to approach Keris with less elaborate Dapur which I happen to like as much as many of the more fancy ones...

Let's start with the plain blade first (I'll add pics of the sheath later). Thanks for your contributions!

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2005, 04:01 AM   #2
kai

Close-ups from the right side:
Attached Images

Old 24th June 2005, 04:18 AM   #3
kai

Close-ups from the left side:
Attached Images

Old 24th June 2005, 02:38 PM   #4
kai

Cool Forgot to add measurements:

47 cm (18.5") total length
42.4 cm (16.7") Keris without sheath
38.5 cm (15.2") and 14.1 cm (5.5") Warangka [sheath] length and width, respectively
34.0 cm (13.4") Wilah + 6.7 cm (2.6") Pesi [blade + tang]
7.64 cm (3") and 2.1 cm (0.8") Ganja and blade width, respectively [the latter measured halfway from the tip]
8.2 cm (3.2") Ukiran [hilt]
Old 28th June 2005, 12:58 AM   #5
kai

Question Can anybody verify the initials of the former owner?

T.v.E.?
Attached Images

Old 28th June 2005, 01:02 AM   #6
kai

Red face

More Warangka pics to follow - sorry forgot cropping them...
Old 6th July 2005, 03:58 PM   #7
Mans

Thumbs up Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Let's start with the plain blade first (I'll add pics of the sheath later). Thanks for your contributions!
Hello Kai,

Your keris is old and looks so interesting. I think the dapur (shape) is Tilam Upih with pamor (damascan) which called Adeg (vertikal lines). Made in good ironwork, so that why the blade still intact.
The sheath (Jawa = Wrangka) in Gayaman Jogjakarta (Jogja) style made from Kemuning (yellow tree) wood. Also the handle and pendok in Jogja style.
Nice collection.

Regards,
Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2005, 09:12 PM   #8
nechesh

Kai, it seems unlikely to me that the inscription in the wreath would be oriented this way. It's upside down. The bottom of the wreath should point downwards. This also puts the sheath in the direction in which it is usually viewed. In that direction this might be a number....309 or 319?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 02:36 AM   #9
kai

Smile

Hello Mans,

Thanks a lot for your input! I was off and couldn't answer earlier.

I was already wondering wether I may need to post some Keris Solo to evoke any response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans
I think the dapur (shape) is Tilam Upih
So any keris lurus with only these 3 features (Gandik, Pejetan and Tikel Alis) is always dapur Tilam Upih - no exceptions or subcategories? That would suit my simple mind well...

Quote:
Also the handle and pendok in Jogja style.
The ukiran still feels nice in my hands (which are not too large) although it is pretty small compared to other handles I have. Is this small size still within the usual range or does it indicate an owner of rather small stature?

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 12th July 2005 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12th July 2005, 02:41 AM   #10
kai

Question P. S.

Quote:
Jogja
On the maps I always find the spelling "Yogya" - is the switch from Y to J due to dialect pronounciation, an earlier spelling, or what?

Regards,
Kai
Old 12th July 2005, 02:52 AM   #11
kai

Red face

Thanks, Nechesh! I should have checked sheaths with decent inscriptions first...

Quote:
This also puts the sheath in the direction in which it is usually viewed. In that direction this might be a number....309 or 319?
Looks even more illegible this way...

Are there any conventions what might be specified in this place?

Regards,
Kai
Old 12th July 2005, 11:43 AM   #12
nechesh

My personal favorite spelling is Djogyakarta. Anytime a language is translated outside of it's original alphabet these spelling variation are bound to happen as the English aphabet struggles to find the right letters for the proper sounds. Ys and Js are often interchangable in many language translations.
Numerology is very common in Java. The number 319 might hold a very personal significance to the original owner, one that we will probably never decipher.
I have found this Djogya hilt form to be generally smaller than it's Solo counterpart, so i don't believe this is due to it being made for a smaller hand size, just the style.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 04:55 PM   #13
Mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
.... So any keris lurus with only these 3 features (Gandik, Pejetan and Tikel Alis) is always dapur Tilam Upih - no exceptions or subcategories? That would suit my simple mind well...

The ukiran still feels nice in my hands (which are not too large) although it is pretty small compared to other handles I have. Is this small size still within the usual range or does it indicate an owner of rather small stature?
Yes you right, that if the keris has characteristic/feature (Jawa = Ricikan) of Pijetan and Tikel Alis is called Tilam Upih. If the keris has just Pijetan, can be called as Brojol, etc. It all are name of shape (Jawa = Dapur) of keris which each Dapur has the different feature.

About the handle (Jawa = Deder / Ukiran), indeed that all of the ukiran in Jogja style are small size as nechesh wrote.
And the number at pendok in the back side, commonly, Javanese Mranggi shown the day, month and years of the wrangka made. Not just at the old pendok. So, the 309 can be mean that this pendok made at September 30th.

And, about Jogjakarta - Yogyakarta - Djogjakarta, it all same. it just the speeling.

Regars,
Mans

Last edited by Mans; 12th July 2005 at 06:22 PM.
Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 09:59 PM   #14
kai

Arrow

Thanks, Nechesh!

Quote:
Anytime a language is translated outside of it's original alphabet these spelling variation are bound to happen as the English aphabet struggles to find the right letters for the proper sounds.
Let's hope, it's still the Roman alphabet since else we're in trouble, phonetically speaking - u no...

I know the former Dutch-based spelling which was changed after the independance. I thought that alongside with the Bahasa Indonesia there came a standard spelling system. However, I reckon this will deviate from the local dialects' pronounciations. Is this the case here?

Quote:
I have found this Djogya hilt form to be generally smaller than it's Solo counterpart, so i don't believe this is due to it being made for a smaller hand size, just the style.
Has anybody gathered data on hilt lengths for Keris Jawa? Any estimates in case of missing data? I'd like to get a feeling for the usual size ranges for the respective styles if possible...

Regards,
Kai
Old 12th July 2005, 10:30 PM   #15
kai

Thanks for your valuable info, Mans!

Quote:
Yes you right, that if the keris has characteristic/feature (Jawa = Ricikan) of Pijetan and Tikel Alis is called Tilam Upih. If the keris has just Pijetan, can be called as Brojol, etc.
So determining the dapur of blades with few features is straightforward (I have those charts) and only with more elaborately carved blades do we get those difficulties to determine the correct dapur as often shown in discussions, for example on this board?

Quote:
About the handle (Jawa = Deder / Ukiran), indeed that all of the ukiran in Jogja style are small size as nechesh wrote.
Thanks! I have to admit that I'm more leaning towards the northern Keris styles and haven't paid enough attention to the diversity of Keris Jawa and its associated terminology...

Quote:
And the number at pendok in the back side, commonly, Javanese Mranggi shown the day, month and years of the wrangka made. Not just at the old pendok. So, the 309 can be mean that this pendok made at September 30th.
Weird to put rather mundane info on such a fairly prominent place. The inscription is also very rough compared to the other engraving (cp. the foliage around it) - I'd expect more consistent quality if done by a specialized artisan... (Even if the pendok were a relatively recent replacement.)

Is there any cultural reason why the day of manufacture would be more important than the year? (Considering the lifespan of a sheath, I'd choose to inscribe the year rather than month/day if there was not enough space for a complete date.)

Regards,
Kai
Old 16th July 2005, 01:21 AM   #16
kai

Cool BTTT

Close-ups of the mendak can be found in the following thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=987
Old 11th July 2007, 10:36 PM   #17
kai

Default BTTT

With more forumites posting on keris Jawa, I'm trying to fish for additional info on this keris...

No tanguh expected from the pics but any opinions or hints welcome! (Feel free to express them via PM if deemed too speculative/etc.) Thanks!

BTW, I received a small replacement mendak from Alan a while ago but need to wait until my digicam is fixed for showing the current attire.

Regards,
Kai