Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th May 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Clubs & Arrows

Default Bagobo Shield Puzzler

Here's an odd Philippine shield that I just picked up yesterday. The Bagobo Shield is just shy of 39" tall x 13 3/4" across the top x 1/2" thick, and has repousse tin overlay work tacked/nailed over it's face instead of painted desin work. The green details on the back look like trade paint and not pigment. The wood has age to it and there is some darkening to the handle and in the cavity around it. The rear shows that the the two horizontal rattan or wooden strips were there at one point.
This being said, I don't know what to make of it, whether it's for dance or ceremonial use. Was it redressed at some point? Any ideas?
Attached Images

Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Clubs & Arrows

Here are a few more pics.

Best regards,
Joe
Attached Images

Old 14th May 2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Joe,

can't help by your questions but I am very green with envy, never seen something like this before. Where the small nails go throw the tin you can see some patina so I guess that it longer in this state. Do you know which metal is the sheet plate?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Indianajones

Hi, wel a quite interesting shield. To my opinion it IS authentic and old, but just not an 20th cent.piece. The style of the brasssheet cutting is a style seen more on other items and carving (originally perhaps derived from Chinese ornaments) and also the horizontal piece of wood attached at the straight end is also done on older traditional shields (as we know them).

I dont think it is a "reupholstered" old shield as the wood seems to be a bit different (originals have bit more yellowish sandy colored wood)and I also saw some nails (?). Age?; I think 1930 to 50's, made by Bagobo but not tribally anymore.

After all it is still a very attractive piece! Even if I had a good 20th century Bagobo shield (nice one cost$$$$) this would make a nice addition.

Congrats!
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 07:16 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I SUSPECT IT IS A PARADE SHIELD OFTEN ARMOR AND HELMETS ARE WORN IN PARADES AND AT FESTIVALS THIS WOULD FIT IN WELL IN SUCH AN EVENT. THOUGH NOT FROM THE HEADHUNTING DAYS THIS QUALITY IS STILL ETHINOGRAPHIC AND PLAYS A PART IN TODAYS CULTURE. A WELL HEALED TOURIST WOULD NO DOUBT LIKE TO PICK UP SUCH AN EXAMPLE BUT I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE FOR LOCAL USE NOT FOR TOURISTS. THEY COULD ALSO HAVE BEEN MADE FOR PRESENTATION TO IMPORTANT PEOPLE. THE QUALITY WOULD BE THE EQUIVILENT OF TODAYS DATU QUALITY AS IT WOULD TAKE SOME CASH TO HAVE ONE MADE. CONGRADULATIONS ON A REAL BEAUTY
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 02:30 AM   #6
Clubs & Arrows

Detlef, Indiana, and Vandoo,
Detlef, it looks like all of the sheet metal is tin, but the discoloration makes it appear kind of brassy here and there in the pics. Indiana, there are nail holes along either side of the gap between the top plank and the main body of the shield. which was what made me think that it was woven together at one point like another one that I have. Vandoo, I think that the festival or Ceremonial feeling is also the way that I'm thinking on this piece.

Thank you all for the input about the shield.

Best regards,
Joe
Took a few pics when I hung it up today in the entry at home.
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2012, 04:43 AM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY NICE DISPLAY ARE THE TWO SMALLEST OVAL SHIELDS AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL SHIELDS? THE ONE TO THE RIGHT SEEMS TO HAVE AN INTERESTING DESIGN CAN'T TELL MUCH ABOUT THE OTHER ONE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Nonoy Tan

Interesting shield. The style does not look to me like Bagobo handiwork. I suspect that it was made in Luzon. Definitely not for battle, but perhaps for display as Vandoo suggested. Beautiful nonetheless.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Sajen

Hello Joe,

agree with Barry, a very beautful display of very nice shields!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Indianajones

Hi Joe, my pleasure, and certainly to see your shield wall. Nice Philippine ones! To reply the pleasure, here's some of my 'stuff'; North Kalinga, Ifugao (rectangular black) and Bontoc (black n bulky); each tribe their own section.

About your shield again; am also not sure where/how it would have been used; its quite a transitional piece. Perhaps show some pics of those holes on the horizontal bar, wright? In old examples there are sometimes tuft of hair inserted in the sides.

Best, Wouter
Attached Images

Old 20th May 2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Nathaniel

Thumbs up

Inspiring displays Gentleman!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
colin henshaw

Yes, excellent material and displays - congratulations.

Wouter - the necklace with the shells, I've seen these around in Belgium & Netherlands but didn't know where they are from. Definitely Phillipines... any more information on them at all ?

We don't see so much Phillipines material in Britain.

Thanks & regards.

Colin
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 02:10 AM   #13
Clubs & Arrows

Wouter,
An excellent assemblage of Philippine pieces! I really like the array of Axes, Bululs, and the Hats. Fantastic.

Best,
Joe
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Indianajones

Hi Colin, Joe (n the rest ),
thanks! And this is not even all and some pics of early last year. Will soon take new pics.
Takes a few years to gather . . . .
Colin; the mother of pearlpieces-necklace is (in the Ifugao tribe section) called 'pangalapang' and when you pick up the piece and the shellsections gently hit eachother you know why its called that! Worn by more wealthy women. Quite some fakes around and often the cord is renewed/replaced.
<incl. a pic of 2 women wearing>

Joe; actually the wood helmet with a face is extremely rare, even more rare than ordinary 'oklop' helmets which are more authenticaly worn. See 1 of the 2 helmets (beautifull!) I got on the pic with the Bulul statues. This -att.pic- helmet sold for a fat $6000,- thank you! Will post a new pic of my helmets soon and you will see the difference in patine.

For more reference; see www.rmv.nl for lots of Philippine material; search for 'igorot' or 'luzon'.

Best, Wouter
Attached Images

Old 23rd May 2012, 07:07 AM   #15
apolaki

Default Identifying Igorot blanket

Greetings Joe,

Your collection of Igorot cultural items is very impressive. I was wondering if you would be able to identify one of my pieces. From what I understand and was told, it is a blanket from Kiangan. It is made by the Ikat dye technique. It has several designs on it [H] /\ \/ and a house on stilts. Could you share any impressions or information you may know? I would greatly appreciate it!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Clubs & Arrows

Hi Apolaki,
I'm afraid that my knowledge about Philippine textiles is very limited. Wouter is probably who you need to speak to, since he has them in the pics of his collection. My collection is primarily wood carved figural tools, weapons, Bululs, and hats.

Best regards,
Joe
Attached Images

Old 2nd June 2012, 02:34 AM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
Greetings Joe,

Your collection of Igorot cultural items is very impressive. I was wondering if you would be able to identify one of my pieces. From what I understand and was told, it is a blanket from Kiangan. It is made by the Ikat dye technique. It has several designs on it [H] /\ \/ and a house on stilts. Could you share any impressions or information you may know? I would greatly appreciate it!

Would you please upload the pictures to the site ?
Not all of us wish to belong to 'facebook' .

Thanks
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote