Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st April 2009, 06:25 AM   #1
archer

Default Tiny Ottoman/ Persian powder flask

This small priming flask arrived today, I never thought about the need for finer powder in the flash pan. Can anyone tell me about its age range and is it Ottoman, or? Oh, it has a brass plug that appears to be soldered into the back of the flask, so filling would be through the charging spout was that normal or improvised?

Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
ward

The brass plate soldered on is added. It should have a loose plate with a bolt in the middle of it that screws down to keep the plate tight. Dating is going to be rather a large range 18th-19th century. Place of origin is difficult also as a guess persian,but could easily be turkish or other ottoman countries. It does not have any decoration so no help from motifs or decoration style.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
ward

Here are some pics of chargers. 1 group afghan the other turkish and indian
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
archer

Default response

Thanks Ward, It is very plain here's a shot of what little detail there is, it looks like a bird peacock maybe. You have quite a collection of Afghan shooting gear, Have you visited there? I spent 15 months just south in then West Pakistan.
Regards, Steve
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2009, 11:11 PM   #5
ward

No I was working out going right before 911 and since that time it has not been feasible to go over there. My primary collection is based on Afgan pieces.
Old 22nd April 2009, 03:34 AM   #6
rand

Hi Steve,

Your powder flask looks Persian, sometimes these are made from wootz steel. Some examples have extensive pierce work that the Persians are so fond of, would lean towards 19th century manufacture simply because its a plain example. As Ward said this style is 18th-19th century. You will occaissionally see them in ivory or a fine tiger striped wood also. These are my favorite style of Persian flask.....

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:35 PM   #7
archer

Default Reply

Well what I thought might be a name scratched onto the side is a crude drawing of a figure in a turban like headdress. Ever on the lookout for wootz I won't commit yet. It still needs light cleaning to confirm or disprove it was very rusty. Thank you for the information. Steve
Attached Images

Old 22nd April 2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
Well what I thought might be a name scratched onto the side is a crude drawing of a figure in a turban like headdress. Ever on the lookout for wootz I won't commit yet. It still needs light cleaning to confirm or disprove it was very rusty. Thank you for the information. Steve

Hi Steve

your 'paint' skills gave me a LOL moment there!
Lovely little flask congrats. Would go well with my Afghan musket!

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:26 PM   #9
archer

Default more

You should see my freehand. here's the begining of ?wootz? of wootz showing thru. Thanks for now it'll have to stay with mine. Steve
Attached Images