Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 3rd November 2016, 08:57 PM   #1
David R

Default Balkan Pistol

One of my latest purchases, but such a sad and battered piece that I was reluctant to share. However the price was right and most of it was there so I bought it. I am not sure how far I will take restoration, it will never be a jewel and I think it is probably a "bitser". The question is was this done during it's working life, or later to help it sell?
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 06:29 PM   #2
rickystl

Hi David.

An Albanian pistol. For myself, if the price was right, I would have to have it for a "parts" gun. Yes, most of it is there except the top jaw and screw, and the trigger guard. The former may have been removed and lost from someone's youngster playing with it. But my guess is that both were probably canabalized for use on another pistol needing those parts during modern times.
The difficulty in restoring it is that those two parts would be very difficult to locate. The top jaw and screw as well as the trigger guard could all be made as long as the craftsman knows what it is supposed to look like. But the cost may not be worth it (?) Unless you feel the real need to do it LOL Which I am occassionally prone to do. The lock does appear to be one of the two more common Balkan made miquelet locks. Anyway, nice find. I could sure use those two barrel bands LOL (hint, hint).
Here's a pic of the same pistol complete just for comparison.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 08:22 PM   #3
David R

Thanks for the response. I might make another trigger guard for it out of some old (Eastern origin) brass I have knocking around. The top jaw, well that's another matter, though a friend of mine does restoration work as a business.
The picture you posted will be a useful guide.
Old 17th December 2016, 06:51 PM   #4
rickystl

Hi David.

When you get to it, I can PM you with close up pics of the varous parts to copy.
Meantime, I'll scrounge my parts bins and see if I have anything. LOL

Rick
Old 17th December 2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
Thanks for the response. I might make another trigger guard for it out of some old (Eastern origin) brass I have knocking around. The top jaw, well that's another matter, though a friend of mine does restoration work as a business.
The picture you posted will be a useful guide.
MHO you don't need a trigger guard, half of these pistols had no trigger guards
Just put a bit of brasso and your pistol will shine like the sun
You just need to find a top jaw and a screw.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 07:12 PM   #6
David R

I am for the most part happy to have (most of ) a genuine pistol from that time and place. I would of course be interested in any parts from the bin that would heal its "wounds".
I have a parts bin myself, but nothing to go on this piece.
Old 14th May 2017, 04:09 PM   #7
rickystl

Hi David.

Well, I did go through my lock parts bins. But no luck finding a top jaw and screw that's correct. Kubur is right, as many of these were made without trigger guards. Your's would show evidence if it originally had one. But I will let you know if I find them. I'm always looking for spare lock parts for potential future projects. LOL

Rick