Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th April 2005, 06:07 PM   #1
sirupate

Default ORIGIN AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE KUKRI

Where the kukri originated from has always been a question that has puzzled me, and although I am not offering an absolute answer I might have found a clue, when I was in Nepal we (Spiral) found a link to the Greek language and possibly the Kopis.
The Kopis (first came about around 500BC and was made of iron) is often associated with the kukri, due to Alexander the Greats defeat of the Indians in Punjab (then Northern India) at the battle of Hydaspes in 326 BC. Potentially the Indians took the design from the Kopis that many of the Macedonian/Greek cavalry and Hoplites used in that period.
Also many mercenary troops for the Greeks used the Kopis as well, such as the Dii tribesman (modern Bulgaria) and the Etruscians (Northern Italy, whose alphabet is based on the Greek alphabet, due to the heavy Greek colonisation of that area). Another possible name for the Kopis that you might hear of is the Machaira, which in Greek refers to Knife types where as the word Kopis (pronounced Gopis) refers to clever type weapons and is a more accurate terminology.
The Nepalese word khukuri (pronounced koo-ka-ree) derives from the Sanskrit character kshura, meaning razor and this has the same linguistic origin as the Greek word ksuron (razor). This is potentially further evidence that the Kukri might well have originated from Greece.
I am afraid pre-16th.century is almost impossible to trace what weapon was used by whom in Nepal, but from the 17th.century onwards a definite pattern emerges. The main weapon of the Ruling warrior high caste (Ksatriya which refers to the warrior caste, these days they are referred to as the Chettri in Nepal) Nepalese warfare was the Talwar (although Nepal does not have an official National Sword, if there was going to be one, the Talwar would be it). The back up weapon to the Tulwar for the main warrior caste was the kukri, of which there were two predominant types, the Chaura (broad, the type most people associate as a kukri type) kukri and the old style Sirupate, which are sub-divided into two types the Hatrayadha (hand and a half) and the Doharohat (double handed) Sirupate. The modern style sirupate seems to originate from the Limbu tribe. The weapon of last resort for them is the lightweight Khuda (pronounced Kora). I asked different people on several different occasions in what order of priority the Chettri caste gave their weapons, the Talwar being no.1 weapon, the kukri was the back up to the Talwar and the khuda was used last of all. This is reflected in one of the paintings in the national museum of Deva Shamsher J.B. Ranas (1862-1914), who is proudly wearing his main sword, a lovely Doharohat Sirupate, and down on the floor by the wall there is a khuda in a sheath that is barely noticeable, albeit the khuda is there, however in all the paintings of Rana's and Shas, it was the only one I noticed. The other two sword types that were used by the Chettri were the Shamshir and the Khadga/Kharga (also known as Khanda), the Khadga is now the Officers sword of Goorkha Army units in Nepal.
The two main hand-to-hand to hand weapons of the general infantry (ie the Rai, Limbu, Tamang and so on, who were the main fighting force) of the Nepalese kingdoms were the lightweight khuda (the large heavy ones were and still are purely sacrificial) and the kukri, and these were often combined with the use of a shield. The Khuda was the main weapon of those infantry and played a very important part in Nepalese warfare. I would say as a general rule for the Tamang etc the kukri was a back up to the khuda. However there is no doubt that large battlefield kukri where made to be used as a first choice weapon as well. Other weapons used were the spear, bow and arrow, what tactics were used and the importance of these weapons in battle I honestly don’t know.
The khuda gradually lost favour, I suspect for two reasons, one it was not as versatile as a kukri in combat and two with the advent of musket it was not practical to carry a khuda, which could not be used as a good utility tool like a kukri. I believe the kukri won through, as it was a more efficient weapon and utility tool. The kukri was the main back up weapon by the 19th. Century and the khuda had been relegated to ceremonial use at festivals; the role of the kukri has not changed to this day with the Nepalase and Indian Army Goorkhas along with the British Army Gurkhas.

I hope you enjoyed the read and found it usefull, Cheers Simon
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 06:45 PM   #2
spiral

Very interesting Simon, Thankyou!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 07:20 PM   #3
sirupate

Here is a pic of a Nepali batle scene that sort of backs up what I am saying with regard to usuage of weapons by the ruling warrior caste;

Cheers Simon
Old 17th April 2005, 08:12 PM   #4
ariel

Many thanks! This is fabulously interesting, especially the linguistic connection. Protolanguages can tell us as much about origin of things as material artefacts.
As to the picture... I always thought I was not squeamish, but this one went over the top! Aren't they Buddhists?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Many thanks! This is fabulously interesting, especially the linguistic connection. Protolanguages can tell us as much about origin of things as material artefacts.
As to the picture... I always thought I was not squeamish, but this one went over the top! Aren't they Buddhists?
I remember a japanese sensei who once gave a lecture on buddhism, in which he was very concerned about the portrayal of buddhism by modern japanese cinema - he said something like "in one scene you see a dedicated buddhist monk, in the next scene he slaughters 40 men, while viciously screaming".
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 10:21 PM   #6
sirupate

Hello Rivkin and Ariel,

They are both Hindu and Bhuddist, depending on their tribe/caste, until war pops along

Cheers Simon
Old 17th April 2005, 10:56 PM   #7
inveterate

Thanks for the great info Simon, A little more of the mystery surrounding Khukuri unveiled. Rod
inveterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 11:01 PM   #8
tom hyle

Note the two-sword fighting style of the survivor.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 12:07 AM   #9
sirupate

Hello Tom,

The Nepalese actualy used one blade at a time, usualy in combination with a shield, the picture is emphasing the two main weapons of the ruling high caste only.
Using two blades at the same time is probably best left for films

Cheers Simon
Old 18th April 2005, 09:58 PM   #10
Conogre

Awesomely well written and extremely informative.
Thank you, Simon.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 11:51 PM   #11
sirupate

Cheers Mike
Old 20th April 2005, 12:39 AM   #12
tom hyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
Using two blades at the same time is probably best left for films
For the most part, yes, but it is one of those things that arise occasionally in art, history, etc. An aberrent practice or concept that arises in one way and another from time to time....
Old 20th April 2005, 01:21 AM   #13
Threetemper

Default Talwar an kukri suspension

Interesting to note the kukri and talwar are shown hung on the same side. This might be artistic license but it looks right. Also,are the dahls used here hide or steel? Very neat picture by the way.
Threetemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 02:18 PM   #14
tom hyle

seems right for the way each is worn by itself.
Old 20th April 2005, 04:02 PM   #15
spiral

Heres a full versian of the picture, a bit blurry & had to shrink to match forum specs. but here it is. {copywrite Spiral {JRS} 2005}

I wonder myself if the kukri was used in this instance as a blocking gaurd after the dhal shield was lost ,dameged or destroyed.

The actul picture shows many chips on the kukri blade, which I fantasise may imply this.

But obviously that is purely my conjecture.

Spiral
Attached Images

Old 20th April 2005, 04:29 PM   #16
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question Questions : Story Behind the Painting

Hi Spiral , who are the fellows in blue supposed to represent ?
As an aside I would suggest that the last man standing may himself bear fatal wounds .
One last question is this painting representative of a particular battle ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 07:09 PM   #17
sirupate

Hello Rick,

The painting does represent both a particular individual and a particular battle, however stupidly I forgot to take the details down, but I will find out for you and myself.
Personally I don't think the person was using the kukri and Talwar in combination, the artist has shown them as weapons used by the individual.

Cheers Simon
Old 20th April 2005, 07:23 PM   #18
spiral

Hello Simon, Rick,

perhaps I can help a bit?

Here is the complete display & the label that went with it.

My guess is the other torn label stuck on the picture would tell the full story.

Perhaps the Captain is the last man standing?

his kukri in the case is badly chipped in several places.

I think the men in blue are Nepali soldiers {Gurkhas?} & the loincloth fellows are Indian. but thats just an educated guess, based on clothing.

Spiral

photos.copywrite Spiral {JRS} 2005
Attached Images

Old 20th April 2005, 09:07 PM   #19
Mark

It looks like he had a dha ...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 12:32 PM   #20
spiral

Thats the first line of a song isnt it?

A Dha,Dha,Dha

Sorry! second child hood, having an early onset!

Spiral