Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th March 2009, 08:17 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default What about this lock ?

Don't tell me this is not a nice lock; i will cry .
Most likely a Portuguese work.
The patilha variant same as the one discussed before:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8576
... only this is a flint lock, of an earlier manufacture ... certainly beg. XIX century.
Obviously this is not so early a piece as "Matchlock's" locks, but that's as far as i can go .
Now, what should i call this setup? A patilha lock, with spring a la Francesa, with a column cock, and so on?
Opinions and coments will be so much welcome.

Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 02:30 AM   #2
celtan

C;mon Fernan, you know you are fishing for compliments.

OK, OK, here you go..

it is certainly a rare beauty...I'm envious.

Happy now?

: )

Take care

Manolo
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Philip

Default um fecho "meio a portuguesa, meio a francesa"

Fernando,
Congratulations on a rare find, I am so envious!

Rainer Daehnhardt, in the photoplates (figs 21,22) following the original text and his translation of ESPINGARDA PERFEYTA [the perfect gun] by Cesar Fiosconi and Jordam Guserio (Lisboa Occidental, 1718, tr. publ. by Sotheby Parke Bernet Publ., 1974), shows a variation of this lock which he calls "half portuguese, half french" .

Characteristics are (referring to the example in the book):
1. Cock shaped like that on a normal "fecho de patilha", but activated by an interior mainspring in the French style.
2. The mainspring pushes on a tumbler which is engaged by a vertically-moving sear under the tension of a V-shaped sear spring, all in the French style.
3. Lockplate in the French style.
4, Frizzen (steel) with squared top in Hispano-Portuguese fashion as seen on patilha locks.

Daehnhardt's example is dated to approximately 1680. The archaic style of the frizzen spring and the lack of a supporting "bridge" for the frizzen pivot screw are primitive features appropriate for this era. Fernando, I think that your example is later, it has the "bridge" which became more or less universal on average-to-better quality European flintlocks after the early 18th cent. ("bridgeless" frizzen pivots remained in use longer in Germany since their interpretation of the French lock was more conservative up to the 1750s or so). It also has a purely French-style V-shaped frizzen spring. However, it could well be that your lock could still be 18th as opposed to 19th cent.

What I find intriguing about yours is that the sear (cock release and trigger linkage) system differs from Daehnhardt's in one respect: his has a purely French-style sear and tumbler, as mentioned above. Yours has a sear that acts horizontally through a hole in the lockplate to engage the toe of the cock. This feature is borrowed from the patilha locks, and is an important feature of another, purely Portuguese early flintlock, the "pescola de cavalo" (horse neck), early 17th cent. Without complicating the explanation, it's important also to add that the horse neck lock also has an internal mainspring.

The number of different mechanical variations on the flint-and-steel gun mechanism used in Portugal is quite amazing. There are distinct types of flintlock that are not found in either Spain, France, or Italy. At least one version was made for export to the African colonies until World War I. The designs show considerable ingenuity, as is displayed in this example. It's a shame that Portuguese gunmaking is so little-known -- as is the case with other aspects of culture, Spain seems to get all the attention and credit. An even greater cause of regret is that relatively few of these very interesting guns have survived to our time.

Last edited by Philip; 17th March 2009 at 03:35 AM.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 12:38 AM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Gracias for satisfying my ego, Manolo .
Thank you so much for your comprehensive input, Philip.
Obviously my knowledge of these things corresponds to a tenth of yours ... or less .
Let me adventure that this cock design, differently from the early 'pescoço de cavalo' (horse neck), would be called 'de coluna' (column). And the cocking system would be called 'pé de cabra' (goat hoof), translated to the anglo saxon lexicon as 'crow bar'. But as i said, just adventuring, as this lock theme looks like a bottomless well for a layman like me.
Maybe i will take it to Rainer Daehnhardt in my next visit; he will surely give me a lecture on it.
Thanks again, namely for your enthusiastic aproach on the Portuguese (lack of) information problematic.
Best
Fernando.

Last edited by fernando; 18th March 2009 at 12:50 AM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote