Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th October 2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Queequeg

Default Chinese Smoking Pipe/Cudgel

I was just watching a Shaw Brothers film the other day in which an old kung fu master uses a rather oversized (three foot?) smoking pipe as a weapon. I think this type of weapon is called a "Tie Yan Dou".

The name "Tie Yan Dou" translates into "iron smoking pipe", whereas the one in the pics and video below is made of wood and brass, with perhaps an ivory mouthpiece. Still, it's big- about a yard long and maybe 1 1/4" thick. And if it's made of some heavy ironwood, it could certainly pack a wallop.

I'm fascinated by innocuous-looking weapons: canes, sashes/sarongs, etc, and a pipe like this.. well, isn't exactly inconspicuous, but one doesn't usually think it's a weapon at first glance.

Has anyone run into examples of these pipes before? Google image searches seem rather limited.

Screenshots

Smoking:

In the hand (better shot):

Strike/block:

Hooking:

Video:
04:39 and 05:17 are the first appearances of this pipe, if you want to fast forward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1fXNgVgtg

Post 'em if you got 'em.
Queequeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 03:43 AM   #2
kahnjar1

I have seen this sort of pipe for sale in "antique" shops in Asia. Not likely to be really old I don't think, although when asked the general reply is something along the lines of "Oh yes velly old, velly rare! Give you good price!" The style though, is certainly like the originals portrayed in old photos of Chinese gentlemen.
In a similar vein, I have 2 Opium pipes from the north of Thailand which both have a concealed dagger, which I suggest was not just there for show!
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

In Samurai culture the Kiseru saw dual use as a pipe and weapon; Why not the Chinese also ?
Daggers may also be found hidden in Japanese examples but they are not common .
A Google image search using kiseru will show a lot of Japanese examples .

Paging Rich ..................
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 7th October 2008 at 07:08 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Atlantia

What a brilliant thread! I love these obscure concealed weapons.
Excellent work gentlemen! I shall watch this one with interest.

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

The following should not be considered fact :

From what I understand during the time (Edo, Meiji ??) when the Samurai were forbidden to carry swords the kiseru was a substitute weapon, and we're not talking concealed blades here .
Some were quite long, others were normal sized : mine would have filled the fist quite nicely .

Now I know you're thinking to yourself:"Okay, but can it cut a machine gun barrel ?? "

I wonder if there are 'forms' for pipe fighting ...?

Last edited by Rick; 7th October 2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: For clarity
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Klas Larsson

I have seen rather long and thick smoking pipes for sale at a Chinese weapons dealers a few years ago, they where made of iron and overly robust, looking more like a Chinese mace than anything else, and he sold them as "concealed" weapons. I imagine they can be very efficient in a fight, and more so if you are good with swords and sabers.

I was reminded of that the other day when, at an auction, I saw some big opium pipes, and they struck me as really over sized and very thick and heavy, good enough for blunt trauma. The opium den of the late Qing dynasty may have been a not so safe place, particularly for a well dressed gentleman, and one with a woozy head... so they may come in handy there.

Quote:
There is a form for chop stick fighting here... not bad at all, its in the Xinyi Chuan tradition. On the some video, there is an elderly gentleman doing nice short saber / Dao form, that would fit well into the concept of of pipe fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfwLX...eature=related

The chop stick form is in the end, but the other stuff is interesting to, if you like CMA. The little boy in the very beginning does some Xinyi Qigong moves that are for generating energy, nice.

I do a double stick form that is originally a double dao form, now using two 80-90 centimeter long red oak staffs, and that works well the other way around, doing it as double dao form. I have done it often with with dao down to 50 centimeters, and two big heavy pipes would fit right into it just as well you block with one and hit with the other
Klas Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Queequeg

Rick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I practice pekiti-tirsia kali. I could use that pipe in the picutres I posted to do any of these movements, assuming the construction were strong enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKhFlVGNlv8&feature=user
Queequeg is offline   Reply With Quote