Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 3rd July 2015, 08:02 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Mark on Barrel

Hello all.
Not sure if this is allowed. This barrel is from an Algerian long gun I recently Posted on the Ethnographic Forum. Thought maybe one of you European enthusiests might reconize it? Looks European (?) of some sort. Thanks for any help.
Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Andreas

Hi,
It looks very similar to an Inspector's Belgian proof mark, of the type used between 1853 and 1877. If that is indeed the case, I would expect that the barrel would also have the EL or ELG proof mark, perhaps hidden under the stock?
Attached Images

Last edited by Andreas; 4th July 2015 at 01:30 PM.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 03:37 PM   #3
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas
Hi,
It looks very similar to an Inspector's Belgian proof mark, of the type used between 1853 and 1877. If that is indeed the case, I would expect that the barrel would also have the EL or ELG proof mark, perhaps hidden under the stock?

Yes like a Liege Malherbe mark.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Andreas

I meant the mark of an inspector of the Liége proof bench. Malherbe was a manufacturer, they didnt use a crowned M as their trademark but " PJ Malherbe a Liége"
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2015, 12:27 AM   #5
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas
I meant the mark of an inspector of the Liége proof bench. Malherbe was a manufacturer, they didnt use a crowned M as their trademark but " PJ Malherbe a Liége"
But they also did inspection work too. To give two examples on guns ...
The attached picture shows a a Belgian Made Spanish M-1857 Rifle Musket .The buttplate is marked with Malherbe’s
(CROWN) / M mark.

JC Militaria has a mid 1800's .59" Bore, Norwegian/ Belgian Military Kammerlader Breech Loading 'Under Hammer' Rifle. Breech Marked 'PJ Malherbe & Co, Liege'. A 554 A 554The breech
is Belgian manufacturer marked 'PJ Malherbe & Co, Liege'. The trigger
guard and action have matching numbers '148' and it has several small inspection marks including 'Crown Above M'.
Attached Images

Last edited by thinreadline; 5th July 2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 5th July 2015, 02:43 PM   #6
rickystl

Gentlemen:
Thank you very much for your responses. So, may I conclude this is likely a Belgium made barrel, with a Malherbe - Liege Inspector's mark ?
Rick.
Old 5th July 2015, 03:34 PM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Gentlemen:
Thank you very much for your responses. So, may I conclude this is likely a Belgium made barrel, with a Malherbe - Liege Inspector's mark ?
Rick.

That is what I believe is most likely, however , as we all know, native made weaponry was often 'enhanced' with European markings. Usually though, these spurious markings are easily distiguished. To my mind, this marking is genuine. But that is only my opinion.
Old 6th July 2015, 01:46 AM   #8
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
That is what I believe is most likely, however , as we all know, native made weaponry was often 'enhanced' with European markings. Usually though, these spurious markings are easily distiguished. To my mind, this marking is genuine. But that is only my opinion.
Hello again.
Well, your opinion is much closer than mine, which was zero. LOL
I know what you mean about the spurios marks. They are usually detectable. But this looks like an obviuos "stamp". And your information makes complete sense. So I'll add this to the notes on the gun.

Thank you and Andreas for your information. A neat example of being able to utilize the knowledge on this Forum.
Rick
Old 6th July 2015, 08:12 PM   #9
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hello again.
Well, your opinion is much closer than mine, which was zero. LOL
I know what you mean about the spurios marks. They are usually detectable. But this looks like an obviuos "stamp". And your information makes complete sense. So I'll add this to the notes on the gun.

Thank you and Andreas for your information. A neat example of being able to utilize the knowledge on this Forum.
Rick

Thanks Rick , thats a pleasure , and thank you for showing us your gun , it is a beauty !