Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2015, 06:31 AM   #1
Alam Shah

Default Mantras and Primbons

Many moons ago about 2 decades actually, I've done some research about a few "Kitab Primbon" (books). The ones I used were romanised translated texts from older scripts. It contains many mantras and like an instruction manual of sort. When successfully executed a set of instructions with a specific mantra, one could attain a higher level of awareness (enlightenment?) which also attuned the senses 'rasa'. There were many mantras related to keris in certain Primbons. Some have instructions on how to enable communicate with 'enpowered' objects, strengthen one's own spiritual mind, imbuing, 'locking' and 'unlock' objects, removal or transfer of energy sources, etc.

Different primbon (book) contains different things, and depending on its source, determine its contents, form, and mantras. Hindu-based origin tends to invoke deities, Kejawen-based tends to invoke the spirits, jinn, etc (with 2 paths, white magic and black magic, and the grey path in between). The later versions include those from Islamic teachings. For example Sunan Kalijaga plays an important role in revamping quite a lot of information about the Javanese keris together with some empus' cooperation. Conforming mantras with Islamic elements and removing those that are not permissible, to a certain extent. Hence allowing the keris and its culture to survive even within the muslim communities in Java and elsewhere within the Indonesian/Malay archipelago.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 22nd December 2015 at 08:09 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:47 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Alam Shah, some years ago a very dear friend of mine who has now passed to a higher realm, wrote a little book on how to make keris. This man truly did know how to make keris, and he had produced some of the finest keris of the modern era.

After I read his book I was somewhat surprised at what he had produced, as most of the important information on how to actually produce a keris was missing. What my dear friend had produced was a simple gloss that more or less pointed the way for somebody with no knowledge of how to make a keris, to get started.

When I mentioned these omissions to him, his reply was something to the effect of:-
"You do not give information to people who do not have sufficient knowledge to understand what you have given them. You do not give the key"

My friend was of course correct, and when we consider what he said, and his attitude, we realise that this attitude is very general in all aspects of Javanese behaviour:-
gratuitous truths are to be avoided at all costs.

Alam, I have very probably read all of the little books on keris of which you speak, as well as many more written sources, published, unpublished, old, and new. Most, if not all, of these printed sources do not provide wholly accurate information. The mantras that are published are published in a form that is sufficient to lead those who do not already know the mantras to believe that the writer does in fact know the mantras.

There is something else about the use of a mantra also:- in the absence of the correct mindset, any mantra is only so many empty words. Only those who are entitled to know a mantra do know it, and how to use it. It is not something for the uninitiated.

It has been claimed, and this is probably true, that a knowledgeable Javanese person does not write a book to impart knowledge to those people who lack the knowledge, he writes a book to raise his own profile to a level where he is acknowledged as a person who knows. The rationale is very simple:-

Knowledge = power = money

Or, if we wish

Knowledge = money = power

Nobody but an abject fool gives away money and/or power.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Alam Shah

Default Muslim method

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Alam, I have very probably read all of the little books on keris of which you speak, as well as many more written sources, published, unpublished, old, and new. Most, if not all, of these printed sources do not provide wholly accurate information. The mantras that are published are published in a form that is sufficient to lead those who do not already know the mantras to believe that the writer does in fact know the mantras.

There is something else about the use of a mantra also:- in the absence of the correct mindset, any mantra is only so many empty words. Only those who are entitled to know a mantra do know it, and how to use it. It is not something for the uninitiated.

It has been claimed, and this is probably true, that a knowledgeable Javanese person does not write a book to impart knowledge to those people who lack the knowledge, he writes a book to raise his own profile to a level where he is acknowledged as a person who knows. The rationale is very simple:-
Knowledge = money = power

Nobody but an abject fool gives away money and/or power.
Hi Alan, thanks for sharing. Agreed with what you've mentioned in most parts. In the course of studying the occult arts under a few teachers' tutelage, a common point is a vow of secrecy and then bounded by it. Some of my notable teachers include a Javanese, a Bugis and a Malay. Teaching me a range of different practices, point of view and rituals limited within my belief system.

After 3 decades, I've learnt much but however, I'm still a student. The difference is now I'm aware of the vast knowledge that I still do not know and will most likely will never know. The Primbons are seldom mentioned in javanese keris books.

I do somewhat agree with your opinion on many current existing keris books but there are of course the exceptional ones. Outside Java, there are many other keris cultures, like the Bugis, Sumatran, Borneo and Peninsular Malaya to name a few where it have evolved with the times. In these regions, keris are also imbued by their makers for specific keris, not for all keris as it is in Java. Only its method and rituals vary.

As for the mantras, I'm aware of the cleansing ritual, body and mind conditioning and its rituals (be it tapa brata, mutih, pati geni, etc) to get the rights to use them or bestowed with empowerment. I'll stop here.

Coming back to the initial question regarding the muslim way. According to Islamic beliefs, only God can create spirits hence one will seek from God (Allah the Almighty) to bestow power upon it. The rituals includes a prayer, recitation of holy verses and chanting to God with a specific focus on intent.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:08 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Yes Alam Shah, there are other keris cultures but since I have only a superficial knowledge of the societies that are home to these other belief systems, I tend to refrain from comment on them. My comments are most often only in respect of Javanese belief systems, and sometimes Balinese.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Pusaka

One teacher said to me what you know makes you unique, giving it away is giving away your uniqueness.

On the other hand however it is part of the oath many initiates take that they must impart their knowledge to three others before they die. In modern times think it might be harder to find someone to impart such knowledge to.
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Mick

I am glad to see these posts appear. I do not remember all of the individual posts that have been written on this forum, but feel that this series of posts have brought forward, for the first time, some of the real difficulties in understanding the keris no matter in which area you are interested.

It is, by no means, just a matter of the workmanship of an individual item.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Bob A

A book, or let us say the written word - in deference to our current ability to transmit information - may have the ability to pass on knowledge (as opposed to "information") to some degree. Transmission of knowledge is far more complex a concept than can be encompassed by so basic a system.

"Hands on" permits a far more complete understanding, not capable of being rendered by words. Beyond that, there are levels of experience which can only be passed on situationally, where the necessary individuals and settings align. Nor is it always immediately apparent that something has been passed along.

However, a book can serve as a beacon of sorts, bringing awareness of certain concepts to the attention of persons who might be susceptible to cultivating a growth process.

Knowledge of a certain type is not necessarily "hidden"; it might require rather more time, effort, and opportunity to be brought into awareness than can easily be described, and may require particular personal characteristics be present in the potential recipient.

This is a general description of a state of affairs, but it would seem to apply to the present discussion.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote