Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th May 2015, 09:24 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Kris/Kalis with straight blade

Just ended on epray. it wanted to come home with me, so it is.

56cm. straight blade, 69 cm. LOA scabbard looks like it is newer or repaired. looks like some minor fraying of the grip wraps.

why is the silver piece near the end only part way round & it appears tied to the grip wrap thru holes in the silver piece? is it something to do with the baca-bacas that are external to the bolster & under the wrapping?

shading/patina seems to indicate it may have an inserted or hardened edge and a different core, will try to etch it a bit justincase.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 11:01 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Looks like a nice old fighting blade .
The silver band/collar (it's a style) near the pommel is traditionally secured with a thick wire .
The stirrup straps would originally been inserted under the ferrule I'm thinking, then the rest would be hidden and secured under the wrapping .
If the gonjo has been replaced it is a good job .
The leather wrap on the hilt is a bit incongruous, not really suited to a wet jungle/salty ocean environment .

Sulu ??
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 05:46 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A NICE SOLID LOOKING KRIS, PERHAPS TIGHT ENOUGH TO DO A LITTLE LIGHT CUTTING . HOW IS THE BALANCE AND FEEL WHEN IN HAND?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 08:55 AM   #4
kronckew

i'll let you know when it arrives it hasn't been teleported yet. only won it last night. (pics are from ebay)

i've seen a few kris here on the forum that have the baca-bacas over the bolster then under the wrap, sometimes exposed in bands. i gather it's not all that unusual from some other stuff i've read.

the wrap does look like square cut leather thonging, i'll check it on arrival. is it possible it could have been replaced with leather by a western owner? looks like they did a good job tho.

Last edited by kronckew; 20th May 2015 at 09:27 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 11:51 AM   #5
CharlesS

Looks like a nice blade here with an old scabbard. The scabbard mounts appear new as does the leather wrap to the hilt. The silver ring to the pommel is typical to Moro hilts from the Maguindanao, Maranao, and occasionally elsewhere. It would originally have been tied together with wire. The scabbard suggests the same origins.

The most curious thing I find here is the color of the ganja. It seems quite different in color to the blade, and I am wondering if it is a silver or alloy ganja. If so it would be quite unique!

Looking forward to finding out more.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Roland_M

"I am wondering if it is a silver or alloy ganja."

It would be a little difficult, to connect silver and steel. I know of two techniques, laser welding or hard soldering.

If someone is looking for Moro swords, here is my favorite auction site: (removed; no commercial links please)
Search for "*kris", including the After Sale, they have three Moro swords for sale.

Last edited by Rick; 20th May 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote