Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd July 2013, 03:26 PM   #1
KraVseR

Default Montenegrin weapons

Hello!
What weapon used by Montenegrin soldiers in the 19th century? Interested firearms and cold weapons. I see muskets, yatagans, revolvers, mameluke sabres... But I need concretization.
Attached Images

KraVseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
KraVseR

More images...
Attached Images

Old 3rd July 2013, 10:18 PM   #3
TVV

KraVseR,

The best reference on ethnographic weapons from the Balkans is Robert Elgood: "The Arms of Greece and Her Balkan Neighbors": a reasonably priced copy should still be available through the major on-line bookstores. If you are looking for references on the standard edged weapons, then maybe you should try to find Холодное оружие Сербии, Черногории, Югославии by Богданович (ISBN 978-5-903389-34-6, the publisher is from Moscow). I believe Branko Bogdanovich also has books on the firearms in what was once Yugoslavia, but since this has never been within my area of interest, I cannot give you any specifics.

Good luck,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 09:15 AM   #4
KraVseR

Thanks of course, but I need only determine the weapon from the figures above.

Here I do not know if this is yataghan, sludge can have some sort of the varieties that?
Old 4th July 2013, 07:50 PM   #5
rickystl

Hello.
First of all, thank you for posting these photos. I saved three of them for my library.
If you will refer to your 2nd, 10th, and 17th photo you will notice a long gun/musket with a fish tail type butt stock. This gun is generally known as an Albanian Tanchika long gun. These guns were produced during the 18th and early 19th Century. Albania was an arms producing center in the Balkans primarily during this period.
Here is a photo of that gun. I have additional photos if you desire. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
rickystl

Hello again.
Here is a silver celina or ledenica pistol that was probably made for the Montenegrin market during the late 18th or early 19th Century.
If you refer to your 1st, 2nd, 9th, and especially 10th photos above you will see the similarities to this pistol. Again, hope this helps. Rick.
Attached Images

Old 5th July 2013, 09:08 AM   #7
KraVseR

rickystl, thank you very much!
And what about cold arms?
Old 5th July 2013, 10:44 PM   #8
rickystl

Hello again! I don't have any blades (cold arms) that would fit the pictures you posted. But I know others on this Forum do. Hopefully they will respond to you. Thanks, Rick.
Old 6th July 2013, 12:21 AM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

There are some unusual clipped-point swords shown in some of these engravings .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 06:53 AM   #10
KraVseR

rickystl, if you know any weapon that was used by Montenegrin soldiers in the 19th century, let me know, please.
Old 16th July 2013, 01:00 PM   #11
KraVseR

Сold weapon still remains undiagnosed...
Old 16th July 2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Emanuel

Nice illustrations.

I see sabres, yataghans, biçaks, karakulaks and things like Surmene knives. A few pictures show the fanciful generic "scimitar" but the scenes look formulaic.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 09:37 AM   #13
KraVseR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Nice illustrations.

I see sabres, yataghans, biçaks, karakulaks and things like Surmene knives. A few pictures show the fanciful generic "scimitar" but the scenes look formulaic.

Emanuel
Thank you! But what specific sabers you see?
Old 18th July 2013, 10:41 PM   #14
Emanuel

A wide variety of Ottoman kilij / pala, perhaps even some karabelas, and yes Mameluke sabres as well. I see some sabres with western guards but I cannot identify specific sabre patterns. Elgood's book has a very good overview of the very large range of edged weapons available in the Balkans in that time, some in Ottoman style, some in Polish, Hungarian and Western styles. There are also many different combinations, sometimes of kilij blades with yataghan handles (like this one)

Are you asking for specific identification in each individual illustration? If so I suggest you post each photo in a separate post in this thread so we can comment on each individually. If not then search for examples of the above terms as there are many posted on this forum.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 07:12 AM   #15
KraVseR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
A wide variety of Ottoman kilij / pala, perhaps even some karabelas, and yes Mameluke sabres as well. I see some sabres with western guards but I cannot identify specific sabre patterns. Elgood's book has a very good overview of the very large range of edged weapons available in the Balkans in that time, some in Ottoman style, some in Polish, Hungarian and Western styles. There are also many different combinations, sometimes of kilij blades with yataghan handles (like this one)

Are you asking for specific identification in each individual illustration? If so I suggest you post each photo in a separate post in this thread so we can comment on each individually. If not then search for examples of the above terms as there are many posted on this forum.

Regards,
Emanuel
Thank you!
No, I need any weapon that used by these warriors. So far, the issue was settled, but if I'll have a question - I'll write here.