Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th April 2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Anybody at Skinner's Auction last weekend?

Made a last minute trip to see the auction. The pictures that Skinner had on eBay were so non-descriptive that we decided to take a look in person. How do you sell edged weapons when you do not show the blades????

We did pick up a few items. Don't have them here yet. Being shipped from Boston. Too much to carry back.

Several are for people who asked me to take a personal look and bid for them. Some were worth buying and some were real tourist junk. Had to be there to really know.

I mention this because Anne and I are just beginning to travel. If there is an auction for good keris or tribal pieces from the Indonesia areas, let me know and I may go to it and bid for you.

This time we were able to take some digital pictures and send them back to be sure that the person really wanted it. There were also some pieces that I would have bid on, but friends already had a bid down and I did not want to bid against them.

Then there were some pieces that people said, "I want it if it does not go above $xxx, otherwise you are welcome to it."

We had the items shipped back to Atlanta because I can only imagine what a TSA airline guard would say if I tried to bring a five foot spear back on the plane.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...category=28221

I think that the one on the right is Nias. It has a Nias ferrule. Very unusual piece, at least to me. Other one may be Nias as well. Would welcome comments. Will post more pix when the shipment arrives.

Also got a few keris. All the lots there had rusty blades. Mostly surface rust. Hurts my heart to see keris in such condition. I LOVE keris, especially Javanese!

According to Skinner, the collection of 'Tribal' pieces belonged to a collector who quit collecting in 1973. Looks like he quit taking care of his blades about that time as well!

BTW The TSA guards will open checked luggage and inspect. If you do not leave the bags unlocked, they WILL break the locks and inspect and it becomes your problem to replace your luggage locks.

Plan to get to the airport sooner if you want to lock your bags so they can visually inspect while you watch, then they seal and you lock your luggage.

Security is very high. Both from Atlanta and from Boston. We were searched, both with metal detector wands and physically patted down. They even searched our two small dogs' harnesses that travel with us. Would have taken pictures of this, but the guards wouldn't allow it.

All in all a fun trip!

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 4th April 2005 at 05:19 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote