Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 24th April 2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Unusual Albanian knife

A recent thread on Albanian Arnautka contained some pics from one of my favorite ethnographic artists, Jean-Léon Gerome, who painted some outstanding pictures of soldiers and mercenaries in Egypt during the 19th C., as well as many other Cairo scenes. His works are a rich source for depictions of Ottoman weapons of that period.

The Arnautka thread prompted me to google Albanian arms of that period again, and I came across the picture below of an Albanian in a mountain setting (probably Albania). He has the same set of weapons as the mercenaries in Egypt--long gun, kilij on the left hip, pistol and long knife thrust through a wide sash--but instead of a yataghan he has a knife with an iron hilt and two "loops" for a pommel. His knife seems more likely Albanian than Ottoman. Some years ago I owned a similar double-edged knife and had no idea what it was, so I moved it on. Does anyone have an example of this style of knife and can give it a name?

The pictures show the highlander and a close-up of his long knife, and two others of Arnaut mercenaries in Egypt with yataghans.

Ian
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 24th April 2018 at 03:18 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 09:00 PM   #2
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
A recent thread on Albanian Arnautka contained some pics from one of my favorite ethnographic artists, Jean-Léon Gerome, who painted some outstanding pictures of soldiers and mercenaries in Egypt during the 19th C., as well as many other Cairo scenes. His works are a rich source for depictions of Ottoman weapons of that period.

The Arnautka thread prompted me to google Albanian arms of that period again, and I came across the picture below of an Albanian in a mountain setting (probably Albania). He has the same set of weapons as the mercenaries in Egypt--long gun, kilij on the left hip, pistol and long knife thrust through a wide sash--but instead of a yataghan he has a knife with an iron hilt and two "loops" for a pommel. His knife seems more likely Albanian than Ottoman. Some years ago I owned a similar double-edged knife and had no idea what it was, so I moved it on. Does anyone have an example of this style of knife and can give it a name?

The pictures show the highlander and a close-up of his long knife, and two others of Arnaut mercenaries in Egypt with yataghans.

Ian
I love these pics also and thanks for posting them. The gun shown in the top pic is an Albanian RASAK, different to the Tanchika in terms of the stock style.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 12:12 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Stu:

Thanks for the ID of the gun and its difference from the Tanchika. I like these pictures too. These Albanian guys really were very colorful and had a mean look to them--they often shaved off the front half of their hair just to look even meaner. Many were employed by the Ottoman as bodyguards and you can see why. Their whole appearance says "don't mess with me."

Ian.
Old 29th April 2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

No thoughts about the knife/short sword carried by the Albanian guy at the top of this post.
Old 29th April 2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Looks a bit like a Scythian Akenakes pommel except that the curls turn downward instead of upward.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 11:33 PM   #6
stelio

Hello.
The two guns are the classic type of Greek kariofili gun from my collection and has nothing to do with the Albanian arnautka. The similarities are with the classic Ottoman rasak type.

Stelios
Attached Images

stelio is offline   Reply With Quote