Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 30th April 2010, 05:35 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default REFERENCE ON KERIS DHAPUR

Usually I use at least three books on examining keris dhapurs. One of them is a copy of an old book on keris and dhapurs (I got the copy from an official in Radya Pustaka, a Museum owned by Kraton Surakarta in Jalan Slamet Riyadi Solo -- image below, one or two pages).

There are at least 78 dhapurs of kerises and 32 dhapurs of tombak mentioned in pictorial sketch, and handwriting text -- all in javanese scripture (caraka script). It is not a guidance on Solonese keris only, although is kept in a Kraton Solo's museum. But sure, it is one of certain guidance for the kraton circle to refer on keris dhapurs. Quite helpful, although it is very hard to read or to latinize the scripture. (My friend, a philologist is still transcripting it on latin characters).

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 05:46 AM   #2
ganjawulung

Default Hadiwidjaja's Book

The second reference, is the famous one -- the keris book of Pangeran (Prince) Hadiwidjaja (1920?)-- one of the King Paku Buwana X's sons. I got the copy (image below) with the permission of Pangeran (Prince) Puger, the younger brother of Pangeran Ngabehi (now, he is the King of Solo, Paku Buwana XIII) quite a couple years ago.

Pangeran Puger is still in his position now, as Pengageng Sasana Pustaka (the head of the Kraton Solo's Library and Kraton Heirloom). This book is now in a very critical condition -- due to the quality of very thin paper (a kind of "kertas minyak" in our Indonesian language).

This book was then copied and adapted by the Damartaji (a keris lovers association in Jakarta), in a more modern appearance under the new title of "Dhapur" (1998) book.

In one page of this original Hadiwidjaja's copy, there is a special "stamp" of Kraton Surakarta seal -- image below...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 30th April 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:57 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Default Latinized Version of Dhapur Book

And the third reference, is the more modern one. The book of "Dhapur", published in a very limited copies (1998), and in an extra-ordinary size, (40X25 cm). Very easy to understand, although not original -- either in caraka-script and also latinized translation below the text. The sketches also has been renewed...

I think it is still available to buy this (not pretty sure), in Jakarta. (I am sorry, I am neither a dealer nor agent, but I can help to find it -- if it is possible). Consists of more dhapurs than the kraton version of Pangeran Hadiwidjaja's. But IMHO, is still in the keris pakem -- if you refer to the first book too...

I apologize, for being too arogant not to quote at anytime, anywhere, these three sources in our discussion...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 30th April 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 30th April 2010, 01:55 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Thank you for sharing this with us, Pak Ganja.

A question if I may:-

in the copy of the GKP Harya Hadiwijaya book that you have, are the drawings of keris complete with jejeran, or are they blades only, without jejeran?

Would it be possible for you to show us a photo of the complete page that bears the Kraton stamp?

Thank you for your consideration.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Naga Sasra

Arrow

Alan,
While we wait for the for the complete page from Pak Ganja, attached find my copy of the GKP Harya Hadiwijaya book, front page, page with Kraton stamp and the following two pages.
Attached Images

Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 12:46 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Erik.

It appears that you have a copy of the same book of which I have a copy.

In August 1988 I was offered this book for purchase by a person whom I did not know. It was far beyond my means, and I was very uncomfortable with the kraton stamp, it was not something that I would have been brave enough to even think about taking out of Indonesia. However, I did arrange to photograph it and photocopy it.

The introductory page has the same text as the Damartaji publication, which Pak Ganja tells us is the same as the book of which he has a copy, however, the photo that Pak Ganja has supplied appears to be of a different book to the one that I have. Additionally, the Damartaji publication shows all the blades with hilts, the blades in the copy that I photographed does not show the blades with hilts.

I wonder if we are looking at two different books here?

The romanised text in the Damartaji edition can be freely translated as:-

"These keris drawings were made on the order of GKP Harya Hadiwijaya, son of ISKS Pakubuwana X of Surakarta Hadiningrat, by the adbi dalem Sunarya at the Kridawahana office. They were selected from the original book by RT Sastradiningrat, and with some additional forms added." Followed by the date.

When I asked Pak Ganja if he could supply a little additional information I was attempting to confirm if indeed we had two different books.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 10:40 AM   #7
ganjawulung

Default Also Pamor Book

Dear Alan, Erik,
I got the copy of this big-size book, on 1996. And the latest info I got, that the original copy of Pangeran Hadiwidjaja's book is now in Jakarta. Owned by a prominent keris person, who sometimes read this forum too... Once this book had been brought to London, to be laminated due to the fragile condition of the papers... (This news is not confirmed, though).

The image of blades in the book, of course without hilt. Not like the illustrations in the "Dhapur" book of Damartaji. And here is, images of "kraton stamp" in two pages of the book. (Image, not good enough, below)

This book contains, not only keris dhapurs, but also naming of pamors, with hand-illustrated sketches in full blades. (image below). Also without hilts....

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 1st May 2010 at 03:35 PM.