Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd July 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Somali short sword

Hi

We don't see so many Somali weapons, but I find them quite interesting. Here is one I found recently - the handle is very finely made with alternate layers of horn and zinc ? Great shape.

Anyone else like these ? Comments welcome as always.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 06:31 PM   #2
ThePepperSkull

These are very interesting. Do a search on these forums for "billao" and you'll find more of them
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Kipinga50

Arrow

Hello Colin,
Your item is a Somalian Belawa sword (Bilao's family, Bilaawe in somalian language)
Kipinga50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Yes they are indeed interesting.,
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 02:42 PM   #5
colin henshaw

Thanks to those who commented on this item. The handle is beautifully constructed, and here is a close-up. Thin layers of horn and zinc/zinc alloy ? Must have been difficult to do.

Also posting a couple of old images of posed photos of Somali warriors from the late 19th century, for interest. The explorer Richard Burton describes Somaliland tribal weapons in his book from the 1850s "First Footsteps in East Africa", for anyone who likes Somali material.

Some peculiarities I have often noticed with Somali iron blades - they can develop distinctive patchy rust pitting and light remains of file marks are commonly left on the metal. Anyone have observations on these points ?

Regards.
Attached Images

Old 29th July 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Colin Henshaw~ Monumental hilts like these are indeed interesting and I wonder if they mirror some architectural theme? Great photos which help to bring these weapons back to life....
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 10:05 PM   #7
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Colin Henshaw~ Monumental hilts like these are indeed interesting and I wonder if they mirror some architectural theme? Great photos which help to bring these weapons back to life....
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Hi Ibrahiim

Apologies for the late response. Good point about the architectural theme, perhaps this is the design inspiration. Searching on the internet - it seems that Somalia and Somaliland in historic times were renowned for their distinctive architecture.
Old 16th August 2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi Ibrahiim

Apologies for the late response. Good point about the architectural theme, perhaps this is the design inspiration. Searching on the internet - it seems that Somalia and Somaliland in historic times were renowned for their distinctive architecture.

Salaams Colin Henshaw ~There are many examples on the web such as at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:So...ndow-frame.jpg showing a monumentally carved window and I'm sure there are more ...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 16th August 2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi Ibrahiim

Salaams Colin Henshaw ~There are many examples on the web such as at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:So...ndow-frame.jpg showing a monumentally carved window and I'm sure there are more ... I also noted a particularly interesting web letter on the subject of Somalia etymology http://www.mbali.info/doc450.htm which is worth a read.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 19th August 2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Kirk

A truly beautiful piece. What are its dimensions?
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 02:26 PM   #11
colin henshaw

Glad you like the piece. Length of the sword without the sheath is 60cm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
A truly beautiful piece. What are its dimensions?
Old 20th August 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
T. Koch

Hi Colin and congratulations on your beautiful score! It's a really nice piece I think and I like bilaos in general. The symmetry in combination with the design of the massive pommels really speak to me. I've seen some particularly delicious ones too, where the pommels were carved from huge chunks of elephant ivory!

Thanks so much for sharing your joy!

All the best, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 07:34 PM   #13
colin henshaw

Quote:
Salaams Colin Henshaw ~There are many examples on the web such as at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:So...ndow-frame.jpg showing a monumentally carved window and I'm sure there are more ... I also noted a particularly interesting web letter on the subject of Somalia etymology http://www.mbali.info/doc450.htm which is worth a read.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Hi Ibrahiim

Many thanks for the interesting links.

Do you have any thoughts on the distinctive patchy rusting to be found on Somali/Somaliland iron weapons ?

Regards.
Old 21st August 2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi Ibrahiim

Many thanks for the interesting links.

Do you have any thoughts on the distinctive patchy rusting to be found on Somali/Somaliland iron weapons ?

Regards.

Salaams Colin ~ I cant help thinking that it is because of the relatively rudimentary forging process .. perhaps combined with the wet and humid conditions.. These rust spots do seem to be uniform and common in their armouries.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 24th August 2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi

We don't see so many Somali weapons, but I find them quite interesting. Here is one I found recently - the handle is very finely made with alternate layers of horn and zinc ? Great shape.

Anyone else like these ? Comments welcome as always.

Salaams Colin~ I find it interesting that the pommel is this peculiar crown shape rather like the top of the hilt shown at Buttins famous work at #26 (sketch 1009) on http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=nimcha and similar crowns on # 11 and #16.
Salaams,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:10 PM   #16
colin henshaw

Hi Ibrahiim

Thanks for the link - yes, interesting similarity - I wonder if this is a regional style at work, with an architectural connection ? Is such a form of pommel to be found on any Omani weapon ?

Regarding the patchy rusting to be found on Somali weapons, could it be due in some measure to the iron ore to be found locally ? (assuming imported iron was not used). I've also seen that regularly spaced, deep patchy pitting on some kaskara blades...

Regards
Colin

Quote:
Salaams Colin~ I find it interesting that the pommel is this peculiar crown shape rather like the top of the hilt shown at Buttins famous work at #26 (sketch 1009) on http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=nimcha and similar crowns on # 11 and #16.
Salaams,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 24th August 2012, 05:17 PM   #17
colin henshaw

Hi Thor

Thanks, glad you like the sword. Somali weapons, and other objects, seem to be a bit of a minority interest, unlike other historical weapons from the general area. As you say, the sword and knife pommels are particularly impressive and works of art really.

Do you have any examples of these you can post images of ?

Regards,
Colin

QUOTE=T. Koch]Hi Colin and congratulations on your beautiful score! It's a really nice piece I think and I like bilaos in general. The symmetry in combination with the design of the massive pommels really speak to me. I've seen some particularly delicious ones too, where the pommels were carved from huge chunks of elephant ivory!

Thanks so much for sharing your joy!

All the best, - Thor[/QUOTE]
Old 25th August 2012, 07:34 AM   #18
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi Ibrahiim

Thanks for the link - yes, interesting similarity - I wonder if this is a regional style at work, with an architectural connection ? Is such a form of pommel to be found on any Omani weapon ?

Regarding the patchy rusting to be found on Somali weapons, could it be due in some measure to the iron ore to be found locally ? (assuming imported iron was not used). I've also seen that regularly spaced, deep patchy pitting on some kaskara blades...

Regards
Colin

Salaams Colin~ No I have never seen a pommel like it on any Omani sword or Khanjar ... except on the Nimcha variant at Buttin. I would like to cross reference your thread with the discussion on Nimcha...I hope thats ok.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.