Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th September 2023, 01:54 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Keping for sharing and discussion

Just won my first keping by a German auction house. It was described as klewang from South Mindanao, Zamboanga. 49,5 cm overall with a blade from 37,7 cm. Ferrule from iron. Pictures from the auction house.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2023, 04:47 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Sajen,

Interesting looking blade. The scabbard style is circa 1960-1970 with peripheral nails holding the two pieces together, and the smooth surface with rounded toe. Maranao work I suspect, perhaps made in Zamboanga. The multi-pinned pommel is consistent with mid- to late- 20th C work also.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2023, 09:48 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Sajen,

Interesting looking blade. The scabbard style is circa 1960-1970 with peripheral nails holding the two pieces together, and the smooth surface with rounded toe. Maranao work I suspect, perhaps made in Zamboanga. The multi-pinned pommel is consistent with mid- to late- 20th C work also.
Hi Ian, thank you for your comment, I agree with you on all points. It's not a fancy or decorative piece but I suspect it's a real user.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 10th September 2023, 12:49 AM   #4
JeffS

Is the upturned point the main feature that indicates this is a keping? Hope to see it cleaned up.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2023, 08:36 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
Is the upturned point the main feature that indicates this is a keping? Hope to see it cleaned up.
Hello Jeff,

Not necessarily but so far I understand is the spine rarley straight.
And yes, you will see it cleaned up!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 10th September 2023, 11:25 AM   #6
drac2k

Great catch Sajen; they must be rare as I can't remember ever seeing another one.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2023, 12:06 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
Great catch Sajen; they must be rare as I can't remember ever seeing another one.
Hello David,

Thank you, but it's not a great catch IMVHO. And I doubt that you have never seen one before, you rather didn't recognize it as "keping".
Our member Xasterix has introduced these knives for our attention in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=keping
Most of them remember barongs and by ebay I've seen them described as barong.
Attached pictures of examples other members have shown them here.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 10th September 2023, 12:21 PM   #8
Sajen

By the same auction two other kepings were offered. I have had a short discussion with Xasterix who gave me the tip to bid on the one I won because this one seems to be made for use instead of selling purpose.
Attached Images

Old 11th September 2023, 01:22 PM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Detlef,

Thanks for putting together this topi and adding to our understanding of what is basically a general purpose bolo of Muslim Mindanao. The information provided by Xasterix has been very useful in this regard.

The Tugaya craftsmen are renowned for dressing up old blades, and new ones for that matter, to sell to travelers. Now that we have seen the examples shown here, we should be able to identify them more clearly. While they are interesting blades, and might serve as a weapon, they are mainly used for routine chores rather than fighting.

Last edited by Ian; 3rd October 2023 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11th September 2023, 02:18 PM   #10
drac2k

Right you are Sajen, I have seen these before, but I never realized the subtle differences and I did assume that they were barongs. Is this a new blade form or an older one? The ones that I have encountered (now that I think about it), seem to be WW2 or newer.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2023, 09:14 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Detlef,

Thanks for putting together this topic out and adding to our understanding of what is basically a general purpose bolo of Muslim Mindanao. The information provided by Xasterix has been very useful in this regard.

The Tugaya craftsmen are renowned for dressing up old blades, and new ones for that matter, to sell to travelers. Now that we have seen the examples shown here, we should be able to identify them more clearly. While they are interesting blades, and might serve as a weapon, they are mainly used for routine chores rather than fighting.
Thank you Ian,

And I would agree that the piece in question isn't a fighting blade but a multi purpose chopper.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 13th September 2023, 09:23 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
Right you are Sajen, I have seen these before, but I never realized the subtle differences and I did assume that they were barongs. Is this a new blade form or an older one? The ones that I have encountered (now that I think about it), seem to be WW2 or newer.
Hello David,

Like myself! I never have recognized them until Xasterix bring them to attention in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=keping
I can't answer the question if kepings are older blades or if they occur after 1900, maybe Xasterix can answer this.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 14th September 2023, 12:56 PM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

David,

Two of mine at the bottom of post #7 in this thread are late 20th C items from Tugaya (Lake Lanao region). The seller purchased them in Zamboanga, but referenced the Maranao city of Tugaya as the origin of them. I had originally thought, like most of us, that they were just fanciful recently made barung.

I have several other keping examples that may date as far back as the 1940s but probably not pre-WWII. One was attributed to the Mandaya but is clearly of Moro manufacture with a brass hilt and scabbard.
Old 1st October 2023, 12:04 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
Hope to see it cleaned up.
Here you go! It's 49,5 cm long with a blade from 37,5 cm. Blade is 5 mm thick at the spine behind the handle.
Blade don't fit inside the scabbard, I guess due to the shrinking of the wood. Blade is still very sharp and I guess that it was used, there are several nicks in the edge.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 1st October 2023, 01:01 PM   #15
JeffS

Cool - Definitely has it's own style. Thank you for the update.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote