Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2004, 04:04 PM   #1
RhysMichael

Default Transporting swords

I am looking for cases to transport a few swords at a time in. Has anyone used the pelican long cases that are designed for rifles ? I guess my big concern would be how easy it would be to rearrainge the foam blocks that you pull out to fit the shape of the items in the case.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Acutally I find the rifle cases very helpful for my transportation needs. I have even had a formite send me his stuff in them. I recommend them highly.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 10:14 PM   #3
Andrew

I'm that forumite!

I agree with Jose: rifle cases are very handy. They can be had for suprisingly small money. I recommend the plastic ones with egg-crate style foam interiors. Double rifle cases will comfortably hold several swords. For extra protection, I'll usually wrap individual swords in a towel or a bit of bubble wrap so they don't bang into each other.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2004, 06:46 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Default REPLY

I HAVE ALSO USED THE PLASTIC RIFLE CASES AND AS MENTIONED I ALWAYS WRAP EACH SWORD IN BUBBLE WRAP ,CLOTH,OR FOAM MATERIAL. THEY CAN ALSO BE TRANSPORTED IN THE ROUND TUBES, BOXES (THE TRIANGULAR ONES FROM THE POST OFFICE WORK WELL) OR LARGE SUIT CASES OR EVEN GOLF BAGS PREFERABLY THE HARD SIDED KIND. THE MAIN THING IS TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE PROTECTED FROM MOVEMENT AND CONTACT ON THE INSIDE ESPECIALLY THE HANDLE (MOST VUNERABLE TO DAMMAGE AND THE TIP AS YOU DON'T WANT IT STICKING THRU THE CONTAINER. THE CONTAINER WILL PREVENT BENDING OR CRUSHING FROM THE OUTSIDE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2004, 09:52 PM   #5
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Arrow

I have like VANDOO used what he used.
I also have used thin wall ( less weight ) PVC in the 3"-4" diameter size, and the length needed, using PVC solvent on the cap on one end and friction fit an end cap on the other end, then tape it closed. With the sword wrapped in bubble wrap then filled the tube with "peanuts" around the sword. You could just about drive a car over the the tube without damaging the sword.
Mare Rosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2004, 11:39 AM   #6
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Pelican caes

JT, the Pelican cases you refer to are definately the E ticket. We use them for all our weapons and radios. They are however expensive. The nicest thing is you dont have to use any additional materials. When the case closes the foam fits tight (both inner sides are foamed) meaning that anything you put inside will be squezzed gently between both layers and will NOT move. Our cases have two layers of foam on each side allowing you cut out a profile of the equipment to be carried in the first layer, and the first layer on the other side if needed, when it is too bulky for the case to close and still have the outer layer between the equipment and the case. The foam cuts easily with a serated knife. Highly recommended!
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2004, 01:43 PM   #7
LabanTayo

i have an old rifle case that zelbone gave me last year that i store my Koaisshin Mantetsu Gunto and several other swords. I have also transported swords in them. they take a beating and keep on protecting.
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2004, 02:51 PM   #8
RhysMichael

Thanks everyone. It sounds like this is the way I should go
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 05:53 PM   #9
whistlinbill

Most used, ratty gun cases (which is all I ever use!) seem to cost about $10 at a gun shop or gun show. One alternative is to use some PVC drain line (this is the light, thinwall stuff--you want the solid stuff, not the stuff with the holes in it.) All I have used is 4" in diameter; it comes in 10" lengths you can hacksaw to fit. If you're carrying the swords, spears, etc. on an airline, they have a maximum weight of 50 lbs per package--and they will take long and large items--they carry guns and skis all the time.
You can tape together two or three, say, of these (shortened) PVC tubes and carry a fair amount of stuff (I use it for fishing rods and gear regularly.) You get caps and cement at the Home Depot, in the same department with the tubes. Cement one cap on each tube and tape the other on, so you can get it off. A shoulder strap helps to carry it. As an aside, some years ago, we published a book on Bowie knives. We wanted the photography to look uniform, so we had the guys send their knives to a central location. Most mailed them, wrapping them in cardboard, putting them in a PVC tube. All arrived in good shape, and went home the same way.
whistlinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 06:23 PM   #10
fearn

I've also used the extendable poster tubes that you can get in an art store, at least for a slender straight sword like a jian. You can put foam or padding inside to cushion the sword so it doesn't rattle. The tube's length can also be adjusted to fit.

Poster carriers don't last all that long, but the huge advantage is that it doesn't look like you're carrying a weapon. There are certain jurisdictions where this is useful.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 11:59 PM   #11
celtan

You can cover the blades or scabbards with either insulation foam tubes, or even pool floating foam tubes. The tip should be protected via a plastic prescription vial with a quarter dollar coin on the inside, to prevent the tip from sticking through. You can pack foam bubbles inside the vial to make it more stable.

To carry the swords you can use a ""Sportube", a disposable USPS/FedEX triangular tube, or even a small golf-club carrier bag (Not the huge ones!). If you go to a martial arts store, they also sell sword shoulder carriers for iaido and kendo practitioners.

G'luck!
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote