Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2016, 06:28 PM   #1
silberschatzimsee

Default auction house experience

Hi,

Has anyone experience with the auction house called czernys in italy? I am thinking of getting something tomorrow morning.

cheers
silberschatzimsee
silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 02:44 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

I HAVE NOT BID ON THEIR AUCTIONS BEFORE BUT THEY HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR YEARS AND I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THEM SO I THINK THEY ARE REPUTABLE. WHAT PROBLEMS MAY ARISE FROM BUYING SOMETHING FROM ITALY DUE TO REGULATIONS AND THEFT VIA CUSTOMS OR THE POST IS ANOTHER POSSIBLE PROBLEM. BUT WE MUST GIVE IT A TRY AND CAN POST IF ALL IS WELL OR IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS ON THE FORUMS. GOOD LUCK

Last edited by VANDOO; 26th March 2016 at 05:22 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 03:00 AM   #3
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by silberschatzimsee
Hi,

Has anyone experience with the auction house called czernys in italy? I am thinking of getting something tomorrow morning.

cheers
silberschatzimsee
I have purchased a couple of items in the past with no problems, do not forget the 20 plus percent auction fee, and the shipping, and customs tax depending on your location.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 03:08 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

And please check with your country's laws regarding import of weaponry and ivory..........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 03:53 PM   #5
silberschatzimsee

Thanks for your nice advice guys!

Next time i must prepare myself better though/fatten my piggy bank more.
All lots i liked went way beyond their upper valuation price. Must have been because its easter or something like that. Since i am only a beginner i was also not prepared to fight that hard for single pieces.

So i still have to wait for my first weapon purchase.
silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 10:54 PM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Beware. There are many fakes, many composite pieces and many inaccurate descriptions. If something is not shown, ask for more images as there is often issues not shown...They also carry many fine and interesting items.

Sorry you missed your item.

Gavin

Last edited by Ian; 29th March 2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: PLease keep negative comments to more general discussion, and send specific comments via PM or email
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 12:07 AM   #7
machinist

Do they take care of shipping or would I have to make arrangements? I miss out on European auctions because I worry and am a bit shy about shipping and language issues.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 11:14 PM   #8
CSinTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
Beware. There are many fakes, many composite pieces and many inaccurate descriptions. If something is not shown, ask for more images as there is often issues not shown...for a company in business for so long I personally expect better...They also carry many fine and interesting items.

Sorry you missed your item.

Gavin
very accurate synopsis.
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 12:38 AM   #9
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by silberschatzimsee
Thanks for your nice advice guys!

Next time i must prepare myself better though/fatten my piggy bank more.
All lots i liked went way beyond their upper valuation price.
What were you looking at?

Here are some things I was watching just for fun. Ottoman silahlik (weapons belt) 750 Euro / $830 US, Indian serated blade haladie 1700 Euro / $1898, Japanese kusari katabira and zukin (mail armor jacket and hood) 750 Euro / $830 US.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Roland_M

Hi,

one year ago i won an Indian Katar on Czerny's.

In my case i received no message or bill until i wrote an Email to Czerny's.

My contact Mrs. Bologna was very friendly.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 12:33 PM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Well, I guess I'm wrong and you people are right, but just the same, in spite of over 60 years' worth of experience in my own field of expertise, in spite of having had the benefit of tuition by Javanese empus and other craftsmen who are legends in their own country, in spite of having bought and sold keris internationally for almost 40 years, I still lack the ability to adequately appraise a keris from the photographs that I have seen provided by both ebay sellers and on-line auction houses, and as for their descriptions, I'd as soon not comment.

I am not for one moment suggesting that others cease to gain satisfaction from ebay and on-line auctions, I am only saying that I do not yet have sufficient knowledge and experience to permit me to do so.

I suppose I should add that I do have other sources which over the years have permitted me to obtain some quite acceptable items. Sources that are not available to most people.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote