Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Hommine

Default A silver dagger from Persia?

I bought this silver dagger in a Souq in Oman when I was living there. I was told by the seller that it belonged to a Baluchi family that took the dagger with them when they migrated during the 1850's from Baluchistan to Oman. Oman had in the past possessions in Guadur / Gwadur maybe it came from there?? Does anyone know something about this dagger and or blade. No markings on the blade unfortunately.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Hielke
Attached Images

Hommine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default This one is for you Stuart.

This one is for you Stuart.

Don't dispair, those in the know may have their noses buried in reference material and they will get to this thread soon enough, I am afriad i can't help.

regards

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 07:04 AM   #3
Hommine

Default This type of dagger inarms armour arabia

Someone told me there is a photo of this type of dager in The arms and armour of arabia by Elgood. I don't have the book so I do not know what it says. There maybe other references with info I guess?

Hielke
Old 6th March 2008, 01:06 AM   #4
Emanuel

Hello Hielke,

Closest one I can find in Elgood is a khanjar identified as Persian. To me your dagger does indeed look Persian, and it's a beauty. The little stone on the pommel is odd though, I haven't seen that before.
The Arabian khanjars tend to have wider blades. Elgood doewsn't say anything specific about the pictured dagger. I will read the rest of the chapter for a relevant mention.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 02:35 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Smile PERSIAN/IRANIAN---ELGOOD

Yes indeed shown in Elgoods book Arms and Armor of Arabia. Silver version on page 88, and also shows 2 ivory hilted ones on page 93.
Shape seems generally refered to as "Kurdish" but the Kurds are spread right across Iraq, Iran and parts of Turkey so would be hard to pin down the exact area or origin. This is certainly not of Omani origin.
Hielke, this book is available on ABEBOOKS.com if you are interested in getting a copy. A good reference book for those who collect Arabian stuff.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Hommine

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

A nice story about this dagger: Before I could react the arab seller demonstrated (to my horror) the quality of the steel of the blade by cutting through a brass cartridge case...

Hielke