Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2023, 02:17 PM   #1
cel7

Default Curious cuirass

I have here the breastplate of a Bavarian or Prussian cuirass M1842 or 1845 I believe. Nothing special, I see them often. However, this one has something strange, the right shoulder piece is considerably narrower than the one for the left shoulder. This is certainly not standard, it has been adjusted afterwards. You can still see where they hammered the edge into shape and even a stress crack. The only reason I can think of for this is that the user was right-handed and found it helpful if he had a little more room to swing his weapon. Has anyone ever seen anything like this with standard cuirasses?
Attached Images

cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2023, 08:56 AM   #2
kronckew

The ding in the centre musta been a bit uncomfortable.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2023, 01:55 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel7 View Post
... The only reason I can think of for this is that the user was right-handed and found it helpful if he had a little more room to swing his weapon...
Could be ... and should be, until a better diagnosis comes up.
On the other hand, that indentation in the center of the chest could be someone's later invention. Besides being so 'precisely' located, i wonder whether this shot test was still a procedure by the 19th. century.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2023, 04:30 PM   #4
cel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Could be ... and should be, until a better diagnosis comes up.
On the other hand, that indentation in the center of the chest could be someone's later invention. Besides being so 'precisely' located, i wonder whether this shot test was still a procedure by the 19th. century.

yes it was. I don't understand the point of it either, but the "German" cuirasses seem to have it all. More or less in the same place.
Old 7th August 2023, 07:57 PM   #5
Victrix

Quote:
yes it was. I don't understand the point of it either, but the "German" cuirasses seem to have it all. More or less in the same place.
Same with the Swedish ones. Mine is end 17thC-beginning/18thC Carolingean era cavalry breast plate. Maybe the Swedes and the Germans took the term “bullet proof” just literally. In Sweden this was an official requirement to demonstrate the effectiveness of the kit. On the inside it’s marked with a crown and weight. There’s a small smith’s mark in the centre just below the collar. It’s very heavy at around 7kg.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2023, 02:55 PM   #6
cel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
Same with the Swedish ones. Mine is end 17thC-beginning/18thC Carolingean era cavalry breast plate. Maybe the Swedes and the Germans took the term “bullet proof” just literally. In Sweden this was an official requirement to demonstrate the effectiveness of the kit. On the inside it’s marked with a crown and weight. There’s a small smith’s mark in the centre just below the collar. It’s very heavy at around 7kg.
That's a very nice cuirass you have there!
Old 8th August 2023, 03:59 PM   #7
fernando

Yes, a rather impressive example indeed. Vitrix, allow me to repost your picture in the upright position. Amazing how i was more used to see these shot strikes looking so deepening, and in your example its outline looks so shallow and circumscript, so to say ... even with inscriptions inserted. New to me, but no wonder; my experience with these is so scarce.

´.
Attached Images

Old 8th August 2023, 07:41 PM   #8
Victrix

Quote:
Yes, a rather impressive example indeed. Vitrix, allow me to repost your picture in the upright position. Amazing how i was more used to see these shot strikes looking so deepening, and in your example its outline looks so shallow and circumscript, so to say ... even with inscriptions inserted. New to me, but no wonder; my experience with these is so scarce.

´.
Many thanks for rotating the picture Fernando! It was shot with a musket lead bullet which flattens on impact (muskets had fairly short range as well in those days). The breast plates were worn over tough buff coats made from moose skin. I understand the breast plates were unpopular due to their weight @7Kg! I took this picture in the Summer when I visited the city of Lund which was the scene of the bloodiest battle on Swedish soil when the Danes tried to re-take the Southern Swedish region of Skåne (Lat. Scania). The shoulder strap is to hang the cavalry carbine on.
Attached Images

Old 8th August 2023, 07:45 PM   #9
Victrix

Quote:
That's a very nice cuirass you have there!
Thank you! Yours is nice too. Maybe it belonged to Kaiser Wilhelm? I understand he had something wrong with his arm.
Old 8th August 2023, 07:52 PM   #10
Akanthus

Quote:
Thank you! Yours is nice too. Maybe it belonged to Kaiser Wilhelm? I understand he had something wrong with his arm.
Was his left arm....
Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2023, 08:48 PM   #11
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanthus View Post
Was his left arm....
Old 9th August 2023, 01:12 PM   #12
fernando

Red face

Quote:
Yes, this would make cel7 assumption plausible; if it wasn't for the fact that the Kaiser with the uselless left arm was Wilhem the second (1859/1941), Emperor since 1888; a bit too late for the use of a cuirass, and as he isn't recorded to have engaged in combat episodes... i think. If he used one for parade events, i would realize that an Emperor's cerimony cuirass would have a rather more embellished aspect.

Last edited by fernando; 9th August 2023 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 12th August 2023, 08:36 PM   #13
fernando

Gentlemen, don't tie me to the whipping post. I just saw an oil painting by Paul Beckert (1890) of Kaiser Willem II wearing a breast plate... posing for the artist; his left hand resting on his waist.

Attached Images

Old 16th August 2023, 12:22 PM   #14
Akanthus

Quote:
Gentlemen, don't tie me to the whipping post. I just saw an oil painting by Paul Beckert (1890) of Kaiser Willem II wearing a breast plate... posing for the artist; his left hand resting on his waist.

Yes,Fernando .This cuirass is much more elegant than the ones of the common soldiers.It's the uniform of the Garde du Corps,the first and finest cuirassier regiment in Prussia at this time.Look at the eagle helmet.
Attached Images

Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2023, 03:34 PM   #15
Victrix

Quote:
Many thanks for rotating the picture Fernando! It was shot with a musket lead bullet which flattens on impact (muskets had fairly short range as well in those days). The breast plates were worn over tough buff coats made from moose skin. I understand the breast plates were unpopular due to their weight @7Kg! I took this picture in the Summer when I visited the city of Lund which was the scene of the bloodiest battle on Swedish soil when the Danes tried to re-take the Southern Swedish region of Skåne (Lat. Scania). The shoulder strap is to hang the cavalry carbine on.
The Royal Swedish Life Guard still uses the 17thC breastplates for ceremonial duty like today on the occasion of H.M. the King’s 50th year anniversary on the throne.

Back in the day these soldiers formed the king’s closest body guard in battle. They were all hand-picked officers with outstanding battle merits who served as privates in the unit. Although cavalry, they are dismounted when on ceremonial duty and characteristically stamp their heavy cavalry boots in unison when they march which causes quite a noise.
Attached Images

Old 16th September 2023, 04:07 PM   #16
Richard G

Quote:
I have here the breastplate of a Bavarian or Prussian cuirass M1842 or 1845 I believe. Nothing special, I see them often. However, this one has something strange, the right shoulder piece is considerably narrower than the one for the left shoulder. This is certainly not standard, it has been adjusted afterwards. You can still see where they hammered the edge into shape and even a stress crack. The only reason I can think of for this is that the user was right-handed and found it helpful if he had a little more room to swing his weapon. Has anyone ever seen anything like this with standard cuirasses?
I wonder if it was to help out someone who was expected to keep their right arm permanently or semi-permanently raised. a flag or standard bearer, trumpeter, or something like that.
Best wishes
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote