Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th April 2019, 04:29 PM   #1
carlos

Default Engraved dagger, philippines??

This is my last adquisition, the pictures are forma seller.
My first impression is philippine origin.

Tang Stamps:GR CROSSED FLAG AND SWORD (SEE PICTURES)

BLADE Length:9 3/4 Inches and 14 3/8 Inches long overall.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Carlos:

Interesting dagger. The scabbard certainly looks Filipino to me, and is typical of Central and Northern Luzon where Ilokano influence is strongest. The stitching down the center of the back of the scabbard and the "toe" are typical of Ilokano (or Ilokano-influenced) work from these areas.

The decoration on the hilt and guard are unusual. [Are both the hilt and guard made of horn or wood? Horn might be more typical of the area although wood is common too.] The designs have been incised and then filled with a white material, and my guess is that this material is powdered lime that has been made into a paste and rubbed into the carved areas. Jose would know better what the inlaid material may be. In any case, this particular type of decoration on knives and scabbards is uncommon in the Philippines, and the place I have seen it previously was on the hilt of a small knife and its horn sheath that came from the town of Apalit in the Province of Pampangas (in Central Luzon). This item was posted in a previous thread, here, highlighting knives of Apalit. Pictures are attached of that knife showing similar floral decorations and the use of white material on the incised areas. The white contrasts nicely with the dark horn of the hilt and the sheath.

Lastly, the flag and sword suggest a military association. It could indicate some association with the Katipunan movement (which was prominent in Pampangas). It could also have been associated with the First Philippine Republic in the early 1900s, which the U.S. suppressed. Either of these possibilities could date the knife's manufacture to the 1890s or early 1900s. On the other hand, it could also have been a commemorative piece made later.

One feature of the flag and sword mark is that the sword is of a European style rather than Filipino. Perhaps this piece was commissioned by a Spanish gentleman in roughly the same time period. We may never know.

Can you post better pictures when it arrives, especially of the hilt and guard. Close inspection will also tell you if these are made of horn or wood, and it would be interesting to know for future reference what materials were used.

Regards,

Ian.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 12:38 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

From what I can see, the inlay is lime. I would say that that the crossed flag and sword might be indicative not of the Katipunan but of the later 1st Philippine Republic.

Of course as Ian said, better pictures would be of great help.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 05:34 PM   #4
carlos

Looking for symbol I have found this ...
https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknF...action%29.html
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by carlos; 28th April 2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 17th May 2019, 03:16 PM   #5
carlos

Dagger arrived ...new pictures.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 20th May 2019, 01:16 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi carlos:

The ink inscription on the sheath is frustratingly unclear in the picture. Can you read it more clearly by direct inspection?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 06:39 PM   #7
carlos

I can,t read the letters of the sheath...
Attached Images