Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th February 2008, 07:52 PM   #1
eftihis

Default Tribal dart quiver

Hi, this is a dart quiver that i do not know anything about. Anyone more familiar with tribal items? Where it comes from? Why some darts have this sort of spongus material and the others are plain?
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Hi, this is a dart quiver that i do not know anything about. Anyone more familiar with tribal items? Where it comes from? Why some darts have this sort of spongus material and the others are plain?
Hi Eftihis,

I think Philippines , Tagbanau tribe from Palawan.
the sponges material is mostly carried in a different container the are placed on the darts just before shooting.They are to make the dart fit into the bore of the blowgun.

Arjan.
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Henk

I'm with Arjan.
Philippines.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

I WOULD SAY BORNEO , THEIR DARTS AND QUIVERS ARE THE SAME AND THE PUNAN ALSO HAVE THE SOFT WOODEN PLUG ON THE ENDS OF THEIR DARTS. I HAVE NEVER SHOT DARTS WITH ANYONE IN THE PHILIPPINES SO CAN'T COMMENT ON WHAT THEIRS LOOK LIKE. THE CARVING ON THE WOODEN HOLDER IS WHAT MAKES ME SAY DAYAK. INCLUDED ARE 3 PIC'S 2 OF DART CONTAINERS AND ONE OF A KENYAH HUNTER WITH BLOWGUN/SPEAR (SUMPIT) AND A WILD PIG TAKEN IN 1922.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Henk

I still think it is from the Philippines, Tau't Bato tribe. I have a similar quiver. The Frenchman who sold it to me had brought the quiver back from this tribe in the sixties. He was sent to this tribes in the Philippines to bring medicines.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 10:54 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

PERHAPS THIS POST WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO POST SOME PICTURES OF PHILLIPPINE, DAYAK AND ANY OTHER PEOPLE OR COUNTRYS WHO USE BLOWGUNS. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE A PLACE TO COMPARE THE BLOWGUNS AND ACESSARYS FROM DIFFERENT CULTURES FOR REFRENCE.

HERE IS A DRAWING DONE IN 1703 OF NATIVES MAKEING WAR WITH BLOWGUNS IN MAKASAR, NOTE THE DART.
AND A PICTURE OF A SPEAR AND BLOWGUN FROM TORAJA
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Nonoy Tan

Here is a blowgun from the Philippines. It is made of wood. The rattan binding that holds the spearhead and sight in place has worn off and has been replaced by nylon string. I am unsure of its exact origin in the Philippines, but suspect that it comes from one of the Negrito tribes (possibly the Agta/Aeta of Luzon) or the Ilongot (of Northeastern Luzon).
Attached Images

Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote