Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th January 2007, 12:39 AM   #1
sabertasche

Default Persian Jambia - My Latest treasure

Hi all, Merry Ukranian Christmas! I thought I'd share my recent present to my self. I think it's a Persian Jambia. This beauty came with an impossible story.

The seller said that this blade was a gift from the family of Lawrence of Arabia to the person to picked the motercycle off the injured body of Lawrence after hew crashed it! I bought it based on the merits of the dagger rather than the absurd story

Anyway, this is a real beauty, all the metal mounts and blade are damascus. The scabbard covering appears to be original to the piece. I was hoping someone could read the the caligraphy and perhap shed some light as to the age etc.

I've included a scan of the pommel as well. Is this a heraldic symbol? Is there such a thing as Islamic heraldry? Perhaps a subject for later

Enjoy,

Greg
Attached Images

sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 12:46 AM   #2
sabertasche

Here's a better scan of the ricasso.

Greg
Attached Images

Old 7th January 2007, 12:55 AM   #3
Aurangzeb

Hello Greg!

Merry Ukrainian Christmas to you too! Very nice jambiya, I like Persian jambiyas and almost got one for Chiristmas but it was shoplifted the day before I was too pick it up from the store! The workmanship on yours is beautiful. I would not buy that story, If all the Jambiyas and Saif I saw attributed to old T.E. Lawrence were his then he must have travelled around with a arsenal bigger than some small countries! The hunting scene on the pommel is a very common desigen feature on Indo-Persian weapons.

Mark...
Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

A fantastic story! I think it is amazing the stories some people make up for provenance. It is so funny and inventive. Do they really think you will fall for it? Provenance has never been of interest to me. An object is what it is good or bad even if is once belonged to the Queen except for rare regalia and such like.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 11:04 PM   #5
RSWORD

A lovely dagger! The pommel decoration is not heraldic but rather stylistic if you will. Tigers and Lions pouncing on antelope and the such is a decorative style not uncommon throughout India and the Middle East. In the one picture I can just make out the nice wootz pattern. I would look closely at the handle and the scabbard mounts as I suspect they might be wootz as well. If that is the case, truly a fantastic dagger perhaps worthy of such an illustrious tale.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 05:24 AM   #6
sabertasche

Default Translation Needed

Hi all, you are right RSword, all the mounts are wootz as is the blade. Once I get the translation done I'll look to getting a gentle cleaning. There is lots of posts re etching etc. I'm not sure if I want something so drastic. My plan is to keep this dagger as it goes well with some great Persian armour I have. The wife has spoken though - if I keep this then something else has to go. Anyone looking for a slightly used wife?

Greg
Old 8th January 2007, 04:12 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Freaky nice puppy! (woof! )
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 05:53 PM   #8
spiral

A lovely piece, one of the best ive seen.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 08:30 PM   #9
katana

What a beauty ....

oh.....and how much do you want for the wife ? ...and does she come with 'volume' control

I have already got one.....just wanted to see what the moaning would be in like in 'surround sound STEREO'.......
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 03:47 AM   #10
sabertasche

Question Translation Needed

Hi all, still looking for a translation.

Katana. no volume control, just loud, as to moaning.........well, maybe harping. My kids are old enough now to join in with their mother and moan , groan and generally anoy me in 3 different octives.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 28th May 2013, 09:56 PM   #11
BANTARU

The handle looks Rhino. supperb piece!
BANTARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 06:21 AM   #12
sabertasche

Hi all, I posted this waaay back in 2007. (where does time fly?) I'm wondering if between then and now younger eyes may be able to translate the writing on the ricasso on post#2?

Greg
Old 26th May 2018, 09:39 AM   #13
Hombre

I must say that I love your dagger.
Wish I can get one in the future!

Stefan
Sweden
Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2018, 11:09 AM   #14
AJ1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertasche
Hi all, I posted this waaay back in 2007. (where does time fly?) I'm wondering if between then and now younger eyes may be able to translate the writing on the ricasso on post#2?

Greg
If you get some better pictures of the inscription where it can be read I'll try to translate it for you.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote