Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 1st June 2019, 03:18 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Italian Stiletto for comment

Not normally my forte, this one called to me, and I've made room for her to come live with me from Italy.

Billed as a 19c Italian stiletto,I have been informed the grip is likely gutta percha. 30cm overall, 19cm. blade. metal Scabbard fittings look like they may be loose.

While it's currently Italian, is that it's likely origin? Is it 19c?
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 03:54 AM   #2
M ELEY

Hi Wayne. While no expert, this appears to be a 19th c. "boot dagger" or gambler's dirk. They were a mode of self defense and popular in the Old West (American, that is). I'm sure with their popularity, they might have also been used in Europe?? Many of the late 19th c. bowies, gambler dirks and such were made in England and sold in N. America. Even the 'soiled doves' (ladies of ill repute) carried smaller daggers in their garters to ward off attacks, If you check out any site selling Old West memorabilia, you might come up with a similar example. Oh, if these blades could only talk, the stories they'd tell!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Hi Wayne. While no expert, this appears to be a 19th c. "boot dagger" or gambler's dirk. They were a mode of self defense and popular in the Old West (American, that is). I'm sure with their popularity, they might have also been used in Europe?? Many of the late 19th c. bowies, gambler dirks and such were made in England and sold in N. America. Even the 'soiled doves' (ladies of ill repute) carried smaller daggers in their garters to ward off attacks, If you check out any site selling Old West memorabilia, you might come up with a similar example. Oh, if these blades could only talk, the stories they'd tell!
Hey Cap'n, , we're all students here always learnin' and these weapons actually do talk to us!!! You really nailed this one, I never thought of a western stiletto...…..in these parts.....its all about Bowie's.

You're right, many of these were made in Sheffield, just like so many Bowie's.

In looking more into these 'gamblers knives', or sometimes boot daggers, it seems in the 19th c. there were many Italians emigrating to the US, to New Orleans notably in reference to these daggers. Along with this diaspora, came the 'Black Hand' extortion racket, and these stilettos became a key weapon in these dealings. Apparently in 1874 there was a law passed in New Orleans against the sale or possession of these stilettos due to the number of killings carried out with them.

I was wondering how there was a connection from this stiletto from Italy, as Wayne indicates this one is sourced, but clearly these matters in New Orleans might give us some perspective.
The gutta percha handle is of interest, and this material was well known in pistol grips. While known earlier, to have become more regularly used after about 1850, when it was begun used more in England.

With gamblers, at least in the west, especially in san Francisco those push daggers were popular, but as mentioned, the 'working ladies' seem to have favored these stilettos. The Italians of course had a long history with them
already.

Wayne, your eclectic adventures in edged weapons know no bounds!!!
Thank you for sharing this
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 10:13 AM   #4
kronckew

Thanks to all! As I suspected, It can only be called an Italian by reason of it's temporary residency. I'd like to think of the Madam or one of the girls tucking it into their garter at the brothel that was Ruby Red's in New Orleans, tho it was a hamberger joint when I was stationed nearby. Good burgers then, and I recall you get a bowl of monkey nuts (peanuts in the shell) on every table, and you were encouraged to add the shells to the already deep layer on the floor. The girl's rooms, no longer in use, were upstairs and outside off the courtyard. bar had a huge oil painting of Ruby. Sadly, it's no longer in business for either of it's past occupations I hear.

p.s.- Jim, I'm going to branch out into collecting nose hair scissors, cheaper and as I age, a more usefull edged assault weapon.
Old 4th June 2019, 10:55 AM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Isn't that too long for a 'dague de pute ' ? Long enough to be a waist dagger ?
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 02:15 PM   #6
kronckew

Question

19cm=7.5in
30cm=11.8in.

Kinda long for a lady with a long dress. depending on where she kept it. Long Boots? Maybe in the belt behind the back, Gambler?

One of Ruby's House Gambler's then

Haven't held it yet, maybe it'll tell me something when it gets here if I feed it a mint julep as a libation. I will of course drink any of it the dirk leaves behind.

The world is more curious than we think. So many questions, so few answers.

Found this one Googling: Very close in diminsions to mine: Listed as a 'gamblers dirk around 1850-60'. Blade looks a bit wider than my more stilettoey one. I like mine better I think, this one is a bit common looking. only sold for 6 times what I paid for mine, and scabbardless. It was apparently stamped 'Sheffield'.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 4th June 2019 at 02:36 PM.