Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2009, 08:59 PM   #1
stephen wood

Default Mysterious Markings on a Kaskara...

This marking really is a new one on me...

It's not a stamp - it's engraved so not a maker's mark. Identical on both sides.

The sword is a quite heavy-bladed one, doesn't seem that old but as you can see, a particularly nice crossguard.

Any ideas about the curious mark?
Attached Images

stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 10:56 PM   #2
katana

Hi Stephen,
this mark is familiar....I'm not certain ...but I think this marking was on a formite's sudanese arm dagger and related to the Madhist uprising. Hopefully someone will clarify

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 12:35 PM   #3
colin henshaw

Hi

To let you know that one of the kaskaras in a post I made some time ago, has a very similar engraved mark. (Don't know its meaning).

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
katana

Is that a worn 'half moon' mark (circled) ?

Regards David

Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
stephen wood

...yes it does look like a crescent moon. I now think that the marking represents a comet - significant in the lore surrounding the appearance of the Mahdi (Nigmet al Mahdi) and also appearing during the siege of Khartoum.

I would be very interested to see any similar images - I couldn't find the one posted by Colin...
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 20th July 2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 20th July 2009, 03:16 PM   #6
colin henshaw

Hi Stephen

Here are some images...

Regards
Colin
Attached Images

Old 20th July 2009, 06:22 PM   #7
stephen wood

...they are the same. Many thanks for posting the images - one of the group of four that you posted before?

It's especially interesting that they seem to be of the same type - quite broad with a short fuller. In the case of mine the fuller seems to have been cut - and not very well.

What about the comet theory? What else might it represent?
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Stephen,
I am always impressed at the astounding ability you have if finding remarkable examples of kaskara! This one is, of course, quite intriguing, especially because of yet another strange marking. It is always amplified by the appearance of a corroborating mark of the same kind found on the same type weapon, naturally suggesting the same workshop.

We have encountered other examples with corroborative marks here, I think both Rick and Charles I think have examples with a horned disc type mark at the forte on kaskaras they hold. If I recall, the marks are stamped but only appear obverse, not on both sides. These I have taken for possibly arsenal marks. I have one as well but am trying to find the photos.

The strange geometric device on this example appears, as noted, on both sides (I dont know if Colin's was on both sides), and occurs near the forte. I have seen kaskara with a bird type mark more to mid blade as well (again do not recall if both sides).
I feel that application of these markings at that location on the blade would be more likely to have either talismanic or invocative meanings. These are certainly native blades and clearly do not reflect the more common interpretation of the familiar European trade blades.

On Stephens example, there does seem to be traces of a dukari (crescent moon device) within the geometric, well worn away. While the suggestion of a comet is indeed significant in Muslim history as preceeding monumental events, I am not yet certain that this marking would lend to that perspective, though the stylized disc with tail is certainly compelling.

The dukari, or crescent moon, is of course familiar to us as the paired moons which seem to occur consistantly on the native blades of the Saharan takouba. We know they do occur on occasion of kaskara blades, and presume these are most likely from Hausa smiths (Briggs).

I think it will take some looking into Sudanese art and cultural symbolism to learn more on this marking, and quite possibly finding more on symbols reflecting a comet.

Absolutely fascinating marking!

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 23rd July 2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: wording
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Valjhun

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity; and it was not meant that we should voyage far." H.P. Lovecraft

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

No... beware! this.... this.... this.... IS THE MARK OF CTULHU!

And it is calling.... noooo, noooo. God help as alll, we are doomed....
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 01:53 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity; and it was not meant that we should voyage far." H.P. Lovecraft

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

No... beware! this.... this.... this.... IS THE MARK OF CTULHU!

And it is calling.... noooo, noooo. God help as alll, we are doomed....

Oh good grief!!!!!!
And here I was nervous about quoting Conan on the science fiction channel ...er thread....on futuristic blades.....then this!!
Is there some strange mist emanating from our keyboards????
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:11 AM   #11
trenchwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Oh good grief!!!!!!
And here I was nervous about quoting Conan on the science fiction channel ...er thread....on futuristic blades.....then this!!
Is there some strange mist emanating from our keyboards????
Cough... Cough... Arghhhhhh______________________________
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually Lovecraft was always one of my favorites, and this really is a superb quote.......nicely done Valjhun

The more I look at these marks, they really do seem to be ultra stylized symbols that may be a comet. Now I wonder if other examples of material culture of the Mahdist period with like symbolism....and hopefully that arm dagger David mentioned.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 24th July 2009, 11:08 AM   #13
Marc

And the only thing standing between them and us is... is... !!

Err...

¿Wilkinson?

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 09:40 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc

And the only thing standing between them and us is... is... !!

Err...

¿Wilkinson?

OK Marc ! Have you had the Cirlot out again ???!!! LOL
Coincidentally, in recent discussion with Robert Wilkinson-Latham about the star, he noted the clarification that the symbol on the proof plug surround was not actually the six point star, but superimposed triangles. While this had to do with the Star of Solomon in that it is the same arrangement, it had more to do with the earlier symbolism representing double strength, in the sense often construed with the triangle and strength.

Its always great to hear from you Marc!!!

All the best,
Jim
Old 27th July 2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Marc

Is even better to have you all doing such a good work around here, Jim

And, regarding the Wilkinson symbol... he may say what he wants (and I actually happened to know that particular tidbit of information, casually... mainly from YOU mentioning it in a former discussion, by the way), but people will see a Solomon's Seal or a David's Star, there, no matter what.
Which should make us wonder how far we can go regarding ciertainty when trying to extricate the meaning of a symbol appearing in an ethnographic piece from a cultural and historical context that sometimes is as alien to us as in our imagination might be good ole' Cthulhu itself...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 05:19 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Is even better to have you all doing such a good work around here, Jim

And, regarding the Wilkinson symbol... he may say what he wants (and I actually happened to know that particular tidbit of information, casually... mainly from YOU mentioning it in a former discussion, by the way), but people will see a Solomon's Seal or a David's Star, there, no matter what.
Which should make us wonder how far we can go regarding ciertainty when trying to extricate the meaning of a symbol appearing in an ethnographic piece from a cultural and historical context that sometimes is as alien to us as in our imagination might be good ole' Cthulhu itself...

Extremely well said Marc!!! That is the difficulty of studying symbolism in any case, understanding the context historically at the time the weapon or item was used. Often;
"...discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen,
and thinking what nobody else has thought".
-Albert Szent-Gyorgy

and the Cthulhu analogy is absolutely perfect!

Thank you as always for the kind words, and please visit here more often OK.
Your insight on the weapons we discuss is key to better understanding of them, and the knowledge you share very much part of what we are trying to accomplish.

All the best,
Jim
Old 27th July 2009, 05:24 PM   #17
stephen wood

Actually I saw a kaskara on ebay recently with an inlaid star on the blade. It was a quite rough looking blade, not imported - more like what you might expect on an average takouba (in terms of quality).

Did anyone else see it?

I saw a "bird" recently and a "crown" which might actually be a "comet"...

I'm still not sure about the mysterious marking on my blade - did the arsenal at Omdurman have a marking?
Old 28th July 2009, 04:42 PM   #18
colin henshaw

Most interesting topic. I can't really add anything much to whats already been said...

The comet ? marking on my kaskara is identical on both sides of the blade. Interesting that both comet ? markings are on the same type of kaskara, with the short single fuller. Could this imply it is some type of maker's mark ? Why would the engraving have that rectangular type protrusion at the top ?

Here are some close-ups of markings on one of my other kaskaras...
star, sun and moon, identical on both sides of the blade. That diagonal line space filling seems typical.

Regards
Attached Images

Old 28th July 2009, 06:05 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Its great to get the discussion going toward these symbolic markings, and to see collectively the variations that seem to be found on these kaskara blades. It seems that in many, if not most cases, the celestial decoration on kaskara blades seem to represent these symbolic markings seen on the 'talismanic' blades of Europe which often found thier way to North Africa in trade.
Most of these are reasonably recognizable in the star, the sun figure and the 'man in the moon'. Since such celestial themes are often key to many tenets of folk religion and its symbolism, it would seem they were readily adopted by native armourers.
The comet idea is compelling, and the two examples of the unusual stylized shape are of a form I've not seen before. It is interesting to see the different markings found on these kaskara blades, and Stephen, I think I have seen the bird image you mentioned, but not the star (the pentagram type?).

I really am not aware of an arsenal mark for Omdurman, but it would be interesting to discover more on that. I have always thought that most of the thuluth application on the Mahdist weapons was done there, but do not recall any significant marks on these various weapons that might suggest such an arsenal marking.

The only marking I have taken for an actual arsenal mark is the horned disc seen on the kaskara I think Rick posted, near the langet, and I have seen on at least two others. It seems reasonably certain these kaskara with this mark are from Darfur, and may be associated with Sultan Ali Dinar. Darfur was not extensively participative in the Mahdist movement, and Ali Dinar was the last Sultan of Darfur, and of the period up to the First World War.

Colin, good observation on that diagonal line space filling.

I hope we can keep the discussion going on these kaskara markings. While we have of course had a great run on European sword blade markings, which of course apply here in many cases indirectly, it would be great to learn more on the native applications.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Jeff D

Hi All,

Sorry about jumping in late on this one. While I personally feel it looks like the Philadelphia Flyer symbol, Dr Lloyd Cabot Briggs shows a couple examples of this mark on Tuareg swords.( The Journal of The Arms and Armour Society Vol. V No. 2, European Blades in Tuareg Swords and Daggers ) Sample B belonged to a Tuareg Chief from Air, Sample C belonged to a noble of the Kel Rela tribe of Ahaggar. He comments that they appeared locally applied and seem to be over older European marks. He has no idea of their meaning.

All the Best
Jeff
Attached Images

Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:10 PM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Jim,

Just a late comment on the marking on my Kaskara; it is struck into both sides of the blade .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 12:31 PM   #22
stephen wood

...so the marking that Briggs recorded on takoubas have turned up on kaskaras and some of them correspond to Palme's mid-19th century description.