Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2005, 01:43 AM   #1
erlikhan

Default Silver mounted keris??

hi. my less than humble knowledge about SE Asian arms lets me just define this too roughly as a keris(?) with a beautiful decoration, and thats all. what interests me more, is that it is offered in a local auction site with description as " high grade silver mounted Ottoman" !!?! Length 63 cm. I request as much information as possible about the item pls.
regards

Last edited by erlikhan; 8th June 2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 8th June 2005, 04:54 AM   #2
nechesh

Hi Mike. I don't know enough about these to say that similar blades were not made in Sumatra or that this is not one of them, but this style of blade is also common to Java as far as i know. Here is a link to a Javanese example that Adni sold recently:
http://www.geocities.com/keris4u/oth...jawa_perak.htm
Old 8th June 2005, 10:37 PM   #3
nechesh

Tom, i am in complete agreement with you here. I tried a google search on tempius and came up with very little. There is not much to be found in books on the subject either. I used the term based on Adni's ID for his item, but it seems there is not much out there to confirm it. Perhaps Adni will post and tell us where he picked up the term.

Tempius does appear in Djelenga`s "Keris Lombok", where he describes it as a thrusting weapon; "the blade is shaped round or square and ridged lengthways, there are also three sided ones, or many sided ones.The scabbard is nearly always like an old man`s stick, and of course it normally has this function."
This doesn't sound like our baby. It is more like a command baton with a concealed blade.

Suduk or tusuk is certainly more definitive and i believe sudek is the Javanese word and tusuk is Indonesian.

They do come from different islands, but i am fairly certain this one is Javanese.
Old 9th June 2005, 04:23 AM   #4
Andrew

This thread has been edited to remove references to an active auction. It will now be locked as well.
Closed Thread