Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th July 2015, 01:59 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Interesting Philippine sword (? military use during revolution)

This is an interesting old Philippine sword. It is heavy in the hand and measures 28.5 inches overall. The blade is 22 inches long, and the distal 11 inches of the back edge has been sharpened. At some time it probably had a sharp point, but this is a much used blade and the point seems to have worn down. The hilt is NOT full tang, but there is a small steel ferrule. Stamped into one side of the hilt are the numbers "72," suggesting to me that this was once military issue. It was brought back by a returning US serviceman in 1905 and may have been a souvenir from the US conflicts with Filipino forces.

Thoughts on the origins of this sword, and particularly the style of hilt, would be appreciated. Since this sword does not seem to have been made in Luzon, I think I would call it a pinuti.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Ian,

why you think that it wasn't made in Luzon? A very similar example from my collection with the same handle style was discussed here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=luzon
This swords are described by the Macau exhebition as matulis but it may be not the correct name, sansibar is a other name which could be possible.
A polish and etch could bring out a nice lamination of the blade.
Nice catch and interesting with the mark at the handle.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 6th July 2015 at 04:56 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Detlef.

Since this one is not full tang construction, I doubt that it is Tagalog or Ilocano in origin (central and northern Luzon). It might be from the south of Luzon, possibly Bicolano, which has a closer affinity to Visayan sword design--that would be unusual for a military issue sword.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you about cleaning the blade and etching it, but this one has a lot of "character" and is probably a worthy old warrior that deserves to keep its age and dignity. The patina on the blade is dark and stable.

Sansibar is another name that could be applied to it. Matulis is a Tagalog word, and I don't think this is a Tagalog sword.

Ian.
Old 6th July 2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Ian,

the small diameter of the ferrules of this both swords could be a sign of Batangas origin, what you think?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 6th July 2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Detlef:

Yes, the Batangas swords/bolos may have small ferrules but this is not unique to Batangas. We can find central Luzon and Ilocano swords/bolos with small ferrules, and I recall some Visayan pieces having small ferrules also.

Batangas is another one of those Tagalog/Visayan transition zones for edged weapons, with a preponderance of Tagalog styles IMO. Batangas is adjacent to Cavite, which may or may not be relevant if this sword was used by the Katipunan.

I think the key to the origin of this one lies in its unusual hilt and whether we can find a provenanced example of this hilt that links it to a particular place.

Ian
Old 6th July 2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I think the key to the origin of this one lies in its unusual hilt and whether we can find a provenanced example of this hilt that links it to a particular place.
Hello Ian,

I am not sure about this, when you have a look inside the thread I've provided, at post #20 are shown some swords with similar styled handles but some have a other ferrule style and some have a full tang, maybe a sign that this handle style was used in other places also. Just my thoughts.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 6th July 2015, 11:51 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree that this is not Tagalog, but I would lean more toward Visayan........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote