Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th October 2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Cyclura99

Default Authentic Nias Headhunting Swords

I will be posting photos of 3 swords shortly.
Cyclura99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclura99
I will be posting photos of 3 swords shortly.
Wonderful! Looking forward to seeing them and learning more.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Dajak

Headhunters Nias
Attached Images

Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Dajak

Headhunters Nias 2
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Dajak

Nias Headhunters 3
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2006, 07:35 AM   #6
Dajak

Nias Headhunters 4
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Dajak

Nias headhunters 5
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Tim Simmons

Green with envy
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 11:21 AM   #9
katana

What a fantastic collection ....too many good examples ....for one person
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Flavio

Hi Cy and Dajak, beautiful pieces!!!! Just a question: those theeth and tusks are from what animals? Thank you very much
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Bill M

VERY NICE!

Dajak,

Can you tell us some of the things that make an authentic one? Things to look for?
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Dajak

Hi Bill look at the handle they have sign off use look at the balls and compare them to what you have you must see the difference.

And none off these swords are mine they all belong to Chris I only resize them.
Old 14th October 2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Lee
EAAF Staff

Very nice! I'll try to add pictures of my 3 within the next couple of days for comment...
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 10:58 PM   #14
Cyclura99

Default Authentic Nias Headhunting swords

Hello forum memebers the swords are all mine. These are 3 from my collection. I have 20 Nias Swords, 2 shields and 2 spears > one headmans spear that is simply amazing (thanks Benny). I will ask Benny to post pics of that one later.All Authentic all meaning at least 19th c or very early 20th c used for headhunting .

As you can see no boars tusks are on the amulets.

The amulets are comprized of teeth from crocodile of the species C.Porsus Salt water crocodile( this speices is what you see on the show >The Crocodile Hunter) . The first example has the above crocodile teeth, carved teeth made from deer antler 4, also some type of big cat claws(yet to be determined the sp. ) The second sword has all crocodile teeth with a carved deer antler center plug with one small tooth carved from ivory. The 3rd example has Crocodile teeth, tiger fangs and one carved tooth of deer antler and has other fossile teeth its the one with the antique procelein bottle,a very big amulet.The amulet is a very old one you can see how dark the rattan is , you can see how the rattan is woven around the teeth ect.. Very old Patina.

As you can see from how the amulets are woven each one is different and made of split rattan or in the case of the first example from whole rattan what I call baby rattan not split.

The wood of the scabbards are made of red hard wood with heavy brass nice patina on the metal(brass ) and the wood.Its made in a particular style , the same .Some scabbards are wider some longer but the same.

You can also see the style of the carving of the handles is completly different than the later examples posted on this forum.You can see the wear and the patina on the handles . This only occurs over time, many years of use, this ie patina ect cannot be faked.

I hope this helps clears up any issues of what is Authentic Nias Headhunting swords and what are later examples used for dancing or made as replacements or made for sale.

All the best

Cy
Old 15th October 2006, 05:26 PM   #15
Nagawarrior

Here is the one example I have of a Nias sword. It didn't come with a scabbard. I feel I have learned quite a bit from reading the treads about Nias swords and thank all that have taken part. I hope to get opinions regarding my sword. I think it falls some where between the very old swords of Cy's and the dance swords of modern times. The blade looks to be over cleaned. The handle shows wear as I have tried to show through photographs. One side has more wear/patina than the other side. I'm thinking early 20th century, genuine headhunter piece. I could be wrong and look forward to your opinions.

[IMG]
Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 05:28 PM   #16
Nagawarrior

Old 16th October 2006, 04:40 AM   #17
Cyclura99

HI Naga,

Well my opinion of your sword based on the pics of the handle ect.Its not old as in what you think it is. Its carving is wrong stylistically the little figure often called a monkey, its really called a Beku that rides on the back of the Larsara.The Lasara is of what the handle is depicting a mythical beast that is part of the Nias culture.
That Beku figure is carved wrong and not well executed .I can be more specific but please refer to my 3 examples you will see what I mean.The wood aprears to have been painted and what shows as patina just looks like the paint is worn off the handle.The Brass cap is also a later style.IN my Opinion the Sword is late and NOT.... a Authentic Headhunting sword..
Old 16th October 2006, 02:33 PM   #18
Nagawarrior

Thank you Cy. I appreciate your reply and thank you for the learning experience. No matter how long I collect I'm always learning. Thats what I love about collecting. I can see exactly what you talking about. I should have seen it myself, but one doesn't always want to see these things when one has been taken advantage of by a dealer. I enjoy collecting examples of edged weapons from many different cultures, so I don't always spend enough time studying first. Thanks again Cy.
Old 17th October 2006, 06:19 AM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

CY GOOD TO SEE YOU POSTING AGAIN.
THATS AN EXCELLENT COLLECTION AND IS A EXCELLENT RESOURCE FOR COMPARING THE DIFFERENCES IN MATERIALS AND AGE OF NIAS SWORDS.
I HAVE A NEWER VERSION I PICKED UP A FEW YEARS AGO BUT PAID THE APPROPRIATE PRICE FOR IT JUST TO HAVE AN EXAMPLE FOR THE COLLECTION. I HAVE SEEN A FEW GOOD OLD ONES IN AUCTIONS I COULDN'T ATTEND OVER THE YEARS BUT THEY ALWAYS WENT FAR BEYOND MY MEANS. BUT PERHAPS I WILL GET LUCKY SOME DAY AND ONE WILL DROP INTO MY LAP I ALSO HAVE A MORE PLAIN SHORT SWORD AND KNIFE FROM NIAS WHICH WERE FOR USE BUT NOT VERY IMPRESSIVE.

THE FIRST PICTURE YOU POSTED IS INTERESTING AS THE ENDS OF THE FETISH BALL TEETH LOOK LIKE FINGER TIPS GRASPING THE SWORD FROM THE OTHER SIDE. I SUSPECT THAT IS COIENCIDENCE AND JUST MY IMAGINATION BUT YOU NEVER CAN TELL.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 02:40 AM   #20
utami

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Green with envy
Me Too i wish i have one

i would like to add this : Balato - Sword with the Ball posted by bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclura99
Hello forum memebers the swords are all mine. These are 3 from my collection. I have 20 Nias Swords, 2 shields and 2 spears
Cy
Very nice collection, very valueable

wow, make us more envy

Thanks for share with all of us here
utami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:35 AM   #21
Nagawarrior

Found a photo of a documented Nias sword from the late 1800's. Almost exactly the same style as mine. Purhaps if mine was collected during this period and kept in a collection it wouldn't exhibit the extreme wear one would expect.
Old 23rd October 2006, 12:13 PM   #22
Dajak

Hi Nagawarrior Cyclura99 can not respond because he is banned from the forum