Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th January 2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Mark

Post 2008 Timonnium seminar - call for "table" presentations

Something new that we tried last year was having "table" presentations along with the speakers' presentations. Think of it as a more elaborate "show-and-tell." They were set up early so people could circulate around and study them before and after the talks, and during dinner.

I invite everyone to consider preparing a table presentation. We can provide room for 5-6 tables, and a presentation could occupy a full table, or just a half table. So there is room for anywhere from 5 to 12 presentations.

But what is a table presentation, you ask. If you have ever been to a conference that had poster sessions, the idea is the same. For those who haven't, what we are looking for is a themed display of some sort, preferably with some accompanying text (on a poster board, or as a hand-out, for example), and hopefully with some pieces. People can circulate around the tables and study the presentations, and ask the presenter questions about them, too. It is a simple way to work in more topics and information without unduly prolonging the evening.

The topic can be anything, really, as we don't have a theme for this year's seminar. It should be something substantive, though, and not just "here are some need pointy things from wherever." However, they also do not need to be some elaborate academic thesis with full bibliography. Informality is OK, a narrow topic is OK, so long as there is something to learn in it. If you stop and think about it, we are all posting that kind of information on this forum every day, so don't feel intimidated or shy about trying something. You guys know a heck of a lot.

If you are interested, please send me an e-mail with your proposed topic/title. If you are not sure just what to do, just send me a note with your idea and we can work together to get the right focus.

I will post some photos of last year's table presentations this evening, to give you an idea of what they look like.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Mark

Here are some examples of the way table presentations were set up last year. As you can see, they do not need to be complicated (just interesting ).

We were also able to have printed copies of the accompanying texts for people to take with them, which was also popular touch.
Attached Images

Old 16th January 2008, 07:39 PM   #3
rand

Default Baltimore Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Here are some examples of the way table presentations were set up last year. As you can see, they do not need to be complicated (just interesting ).

We were also able to have printed copies of the accompanying texts for people to take with them, which was also popular touch.
Hey Mark,

Am very much looking forward to meeting fellow collectors at the show and seminar, will be my first time attending this event and must say the prospect of finally being there is exciting.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 04:25 PM   #4
rand

Default No Table Holder

Hey All,

Would like to know if a non-table holder can bring an antique arm into the Baltimore show.....

rand
Old 21st January 2008, 02:46 AM   #5
RSWORD

The general public is allowed to bring antiques into the show and many do often do so.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2008, 04:51 PM   #6
rand

Default Baltimore Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
The general public is allowed to bring antiques into the show and many do often do so.

Thanks for that information, thought being able to bring something to the shaow would be OK, but after a show in Nevada did not allow it was not totally sure.

Will you have a table at the show?

Thanks,

rand
Old 25th January 2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Mark

The only restriction of which I am aware is the prohibition against modern firearms (I forget the cut-off, but I think it is post WW1 weapons).
Old 25th January 2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
The only restriction of which I am aware is the prohibition against modern firearms (I forget the cut-off, but I think it is post WW1 weapons).
It's 1898 the last time I was there.

Lew

This was taken from their website.

http://www.baltimoreshow.com/Frequen...0Questions.htm

You will not see tables of camo and modern ammo. You will not be able to purchase beef jerky or survival gear. You will not see tables loaded with new modern rifles in the factory box or piles of SKS rifles. You will not find modern handguns (post 1898) for sale at the show. We have no objection to any of these things, but this show is, and has been from its inception, a show primarily aimed toward pre-1898 guns.

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 25th January 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Mark

We are still looking for table presentations for the seminar.

Please post here any questions you have about what these things should look like/contain. As I said, an exhaustively academic approach is not necessary. You are very knowledgeable in your respective areas of interest, as your posts here show. That is the level of substance we are looking for - solid information or theory presented in a neat, understandable format.
Old 7th February 2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Ferguson

Quote:
We are still looking for table presentations for the seminar.

Please post here any questions you have about what these things should look like/contain. As I said, an exhaustively academic approach is not necessary. You are very knowledgeable in your respective areas of interest, as your posts here show. That is the level of substance we are looking for - solid information or theory presented in a neat, understandable format.
Hi Mark,
I sent you an email a week or so ago, through the forum, but got no response. Maybe there's a problem with your email?

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 02:43 PM   #11
Mark

Just sent you an answer Steve. Sorry about that.