Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Karabela origin?

Dear Friends.

Here is a karabela aquired by a friend. What do you think about it?
It seems a hungarrian or polish to me, not islamic.
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 10:46 PM   #2
ariel

The only " european" feature that I am able to tentatively discern here is the broad fuller, and even that is questionable.

Karabelas were popular in Europe from Croatia to Poland, down to the Ukraine and Russia. They all share the commonality of the Ottoman origin, but their insane popularity in the anti-Ottoman camp ( see above) made the European examples numerically more abundant than their Turkish " parent".

Thus, statistically, I agree with you: much more likely to be Central/Easter European than Turkish. But.... they all look the same, with the exception of blades and decorations, and even that is difficult ( at least for me) to be certain about.... Perhaps, the place of acquisition can give the strongest hint.

Beautiful sabers...... Would love to have one....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Your friend is a lucky guy Valjhun! This appears to be a good 18th century example of a Polish karabela. The Islamic appearance would be well placed as these sabres evolved from the Siege of Vienna in 1683 where sabres of this form apparently were captured from Turks. The origin of the term has long been debated and one of the more plausible theories claims it derives from Kerbala in Western Turkey.
These became extremely popular with Polish troops and well known in events toward Polish independence in the late 18th century, later revived in the 19th as a patriotically oriented Polish sword used often in parade mounts.

This one appears to have a sound and reasonably early combat blade, nice patination on the guard and the stylized birdhead hilt has a chevron pattern similar to one in Ostrowski ("Polish Sabres:Thier Origins and Evolution" Jan Ostrowski, 1979) which is shown as Lvov made.

Crossed posts with Ariel, he is right that these became remarkably popular throughout Eastern Europe, but in my estimation that chevron feature seems most often associated with Polish examples. Most others have a greater degree of ostentatious motif aligned with the dress and parade status concept.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Jeff D

Any way to see more details of the blade?

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 01:43 AM   #5
Valjhun

Hi, tnx for your comments. Here are the pics.
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 09:24 AM   #6
kronckew

argh! now i have to wipe all the drool off my keyboard!

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 09:29 PM   #7
archer burak

Cool

Sorry but something is wrong Karabela is not coming from Kerbela and kara is colour name of Black bela means trouble .... as a result of this karabela means black trouble and its pure Türkish not Polish , dont forget history friends Ottoman Empire land is all Balkans from 16th century who learn from Türks this form and if you look carefuly youll see the yalman on the barell...
archer burak is offline   Reply With Quote