Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 1st August 2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Hefezola
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Default Moro Swords

Sharing some of my grails. I'm into collecting moro swords.

If anyone could share more regarding these grails will be much appreciated.
Hefezola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 11:47 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent
Member
 
Gavin Nugent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefezola
Sharing some of my grails. I'm into collecting moro swords.

If anyone could share more regarding these grails will be much appreciated.


Please do share images as time allows.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:20 AM   #3
Hefezola
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Default Sorry

I didn't noticed that images where not uploaded due to its size.. Will repost soon..
Hefezola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:30 AM   #4
Hefezola
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Default My Grails

Here it is... Probably the photos weren't been uploaded in the original post due to size issues.
Attached Images
     
Hefezola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:31 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Aussie Bush
Posts: 3,008
Default

Hello Hefezola:

Thanks for sharing your kris and barung. The kris appears to be a broad-bladed example from the Sulu Archipelago, dating from mid-20th C I would think. It is missing its other stirrup, or it is a very unusual single stirrup example with the stirrup on the back side of the blade (I have never seen that before, so I think it is probably missing the other one). The hilt is a horse hoof style commonly found on mid-20th C examples.

The barung are all Sulu as well (probably Tausug) and likely date from the 20th C. One is missing part of its kakatua pommel, but it is 20th C too.
Each of your swords has been cleaned very well and I like the subtle etching that you have given them--the patterns are clear. Did you use nitrol or acetic acid?

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Member
 
Cthulhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Valley, California
Posts: 44
Default

Very pretty pieces, and as Ian says, showing a lot of lovely patterning.

I'm particularly fond of the half-waved kris form (rantai I believe it's called), so I'm envious.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:09 AM   #7
Hefezola
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hello Hefezola:

Thanks for sharing your kris and barung. The kris appears to be a broad-bladed example from the Sulu Archipelago, dating from mid-20th C I would think. It is missing its other stirrup, or it is a very unusual single stirrup example with the stirrup on the back side of the blade (I have never seen that before, so I think it is probably missing the other one). The hilt is a horse hoof style commonly found on mid-20th C examples.

The barung are all Sulu as well (probably Tausug) and likely date from the 20th C. One is missing part of its kakatua pommel, but it is 20th C too.
Each of your swords has been cleaned very well and I like the subtle etching that you have given them--the patterns are clear. Did you use nitrol or acetic acid?

Ian


I used vinegar to clean some rust then cleaned it. . I used 60%water 40% ferric Chloride acid solution for etching...

Thank you for your inputs...

Is there in any way I could do for etchibg where patterns and lines come out boldly?
Hefezola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 03:48 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator
 
David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 6,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefezola
Is there in any way I could do for etchibg where patterns and lines come out boldly?

There most likely is, but as far as i know a bold and contrasty display is not traditional to these weapons as it would be for, say, a Javanese keris.
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2020, 02:51 AM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff
 
Battara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,577
Default

I think they are fine as they are.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 05:27 PM   #10
Hefezola
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 14
Default I think so too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I think they are fine as they are.


Same here... Was thinking og redoing everything... 😂 I think they are fine as they are
Hefezola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 06:32 AM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Aussie Bush
Posts: 3,008
Default

Yep. Just fine etching for me too.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2020, 06:31 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff
 
Battara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,577
Default

Here are some of my Philippine holy grails:
Attached Images
    
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.