Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2023, 01:40 AM   #1
SwordLover79

Default Johannes Hoppe

Hello: I read with interest the discussion about German swordsmiths working at Hounslow in the years before and after the English Civil War. I have a 48.5 inch rapier (and matching dagger), with the blade of the rapier marked "JOHANNES HOPPE" in the fullers on both sides. Photos attached. Is this rapier more likely to be from Germany or England? Photos attached. blade length 43 inches. I included photos of the armorer's marks on either side of the blade. Thanks!
Attached Images

SwordLover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 11:50 AM   #2
urbanspaceman

Default Johannes Hoppe the Elder

Please be aware that I am no expert outside of my primary research which is Shotley Bridge; although inevitably, this extends in either direction to Hounslow and early Birmingham, but only slightly.
I also have few resources of reference beyond the basics… so:
I looked in Bezdek and this seems to be Johannes Hoppe the Elder.
His symbol was The Wildman (see att).
His dates are 1580 - 1645; although they might also be 1570 - 1640.
He does not appear to have ever left Solingen.
I also looked in Norman, and because of that distinctive branching guard and the pommel shape, while neither example was exact - but perhaps near enough, the date, considering Hoppe's life dates, would be ca. 1630 - 35.
Just out of interest, Johannes Hoppe the Younger had a similar symbol (see att) but it is not yours; he was over in England most of his adult life.
Mine is an amateur job and it really needs the attention of an expert; perhaps Jim might take a look.
Attached Images

urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 11:55 AM   #3
urbanspaceman

Default ps

Did you find that sword near you in San Diego?
Do you have any provenance?
It is a very fine rapier... munitions grade of course... but that makes it more interesting in my opinion.
Old 15th March 2023, 02:00 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

What a fine couple, SwordLover .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 02:13 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Lightbulb Hoppe/Happe/Hoppie

Keith, are you familiar with Sir James Mann's 'Wallace Collection' work ... page 327 for the case. ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 07:31 PM   #6
urbanspaceman

Default two thanks to Fernando.

Thank-you Fernando; I was not familiar with that document but it more or less says what I had found so my research was probably correct.
Thank-you again, for moving this thread, after we hi-jacked the Pinch of Snuff thread.

Do you think we are looking at a Spanish import into Mexico during the 1600s?
Old 15th March 2023, 07:38 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This excellent rapier and dagger ensuite in my view are by the elder Johannes Hoppe (Happe); 1570-1640 and from Solingen. His mark was the so called 'wild man' as termed, and which was later used in degree by his son Johann who was b.1600.
In 1629 the younger Hoppe moved to Greenwich England, and did not go to Hounslow until 1634.

C. Trenchard, in "German Swordsmiths in England" ('Antique Collector' Sept.1934, Vol.V, pp.245-248) states that it is unlikely of course that the elder Hoppe would have gone to England and is known to have died in Solingen in 1640.

While several blades signed by IOHANNES HOPPE are known, those from England are quite rare, with one IOANNES HOPPIE FECIT LONDON ; another form JOANNES HOPPIE ME FECIT HOUNSLOW.
Important is the one JOHANNES HOPPIE 1634 GRENEWICH IN ANGLIA which is on a 'mortuary sword'.

That seems to be the only cases on HOPPIE in England with only the Greenwich having date.

These kinds of 'sets' of rapier/dagger are more likely it seems to be European, aligning with the probability of this being the work of Johannes Hoppe the elder in Solingen.

it is often hard tracking these 'dynasties' of sword makers as they often used the same Christian names from father to son.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote