Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2012, 12:07 AM   #1
mercierarmory

Default New keris I picked up. I know nothing about them. Help!

I picked up a rather large sword collection from the grandson of a collector. He said most pieces were acquired in the 50s and 60s and this keris was part of it. Most of the pieces were US or European but I liked the look of this one.

They are so far out of my area of expertise but it looks like it is well made. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Attached Images

mercierarmory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 03:30 AM   #2
mercierarmory

Oh, and the blade is about 14 3/4" for a total length of almost 19".

Mike
Old 4th March 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Here, a blade that shares some similar features to yours but in a very different dress .

Your dress of course is Javanese .

As for the blade, I could not speak to the origin of it .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

This hilt has some very interesting variations on the style that i do not believe i have seen before. It has a very distinct arch to the "back" and what appears to be a wooded mendak. The cecekan also seem to have a unique stylization to them. Has anyone else seen this style of planar ukiran before?
The blade, though simple, has an elegant flow and does seem to be nicely crafted. It appears to have a polish similar to what we would see on Balinese keris, though i am not sure that is a good indicator of origin. It is my understanding that this was once the desired finish on Javanese blades as well. Rick's blade is indeed similar to this one in basic form, yet there are subtle style differences here. Both this and Rick's blade do seem to me to be blades from Jawa.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Gustav

Dear Mike,

is there a possibility to see the tang? (a question I normally hate)

does the blade fit thightly in the sheath mouth?
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 12:31 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

It should also be noted that the hilt is facing in the wrong direction. It needs to come about 180º with the cecekan facing towards the front edge of the blade.
Old 5th March 2012, 02:32 AM   #7
mercierarmory

Lets just say how paranoid I was to rotate the grip! It was on very tight and I was a little scared to break something. However, I was able to turn it in the correct orientation. While doing that, I was able to slip it out off the tang a bit to get a photo, but I didn't want to pull anymore than this. It is still on very snug. It looks like a steel rod perhaps 1/4" in diameter.

The blade does fit snugly into the sheath. You can tell it was carved specifically for this piece.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 5th March 2012, 05:33 AM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

You needn't worry much. Keris hilts are fairly easy to take on and off.
Old 6th March 2012, 01:20 AM   #9
mercierarmory

Here is the tang. It is 2 3/4" long. It was shimmed up with some sort of dried grass-like material but I was able to keep it in the handle so it is just as tight as it originally was when I put it back together.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 6th March 2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
This hilt has some very interesting variations on the style that i do not believe i have seen before. It has a very distinct arch to the "back" and what appears to be a wooded mendak. The cecekan also seem to have a unique stylization to them. Has anyone else seen this style of planar ukiran before?
IMO this is a variant of Nunggak Semi hilt from East Java/ Surakarta Eastern with an integral mendak.
I attach pictures of a rather similar but "fatter" hilt with a base shaped as a lotus flower.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 01:13 AM   #11
mercierarmory

So how do you date something like mine? Is it 20th century?
Old 7th March 2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercierarmory
So how do you date something like mine? Is it 20th century?
I would estimate that the hilt & sheath are about 50 years old as there is no visible patina but the integral mendak is not common nowadays, and this is consistent with the purchasing date stated by the seller (50's to 60's) if he can be trusted.
Regarding the blade with pamor kelengan (not apparent), it could have been made at the same time or earlier (but probably not before 20th century), I don't know but agree that it looks elegant and well made.
Other opinions are welcome.
Regards
Old 7th March 2012, 06:38 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
I would estimate that the hilt & sheath are about 50 years old as there is no visible patina but the integral mendak is not common nowadays, and this is consistent with the purchasing date stated by the seller (50's to 60's) if he can be trusted.
Regarding the blade with pamor kelengan (not apparent), it could have been made at the same time or earlier (but probably not before 20th century), I don't know but agree that it looks elegant and well made.
Other opinions are welcome.
Regards
Jean, what specifically about this blade puts it clearly in the 20th century for you.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:42 PM   #14
A. G. Maisey

I had intended to stay out of this discussion, for a number of reasons that do not bear airing here, however, in my opinion this keris (blade only) dates from the period 1850 to 1940, it is probably East Javanese, the dress is the product of a rather unskilled maker, there are no kraton influences, the hilt is incorrect for the wrongko as the integral mendak is a form usually associated with sandang walikat, and the overall kagok form of the hilt gives the impression that the maker has seen the Jogja form of this hilt and then tried give it size to which this form is not suited.

I am uncertain from the photos whether the blade has a slorok, or not, and this does have a bearing on appraisal of quality level, and assessment of age. In the hand I feel that I would probably tend towards an earlier date than the period I have nominated.

All in all, it is an interesting piece.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Jean, what specifically about this blade puts it clearly in the 20th century for you.
Hi David,
My opinion about this blade was not definite if you carefully read my comment and I am glad that Alan gave a more authorized one, thanks to him! The reason why I said that the blade is probably not older than 20th century (I meant before 1900) is rather subjective and only based on its excellent condition as seen from the pictures and influenced by the common quality dress.
Regards
Old 8th March 2012, 11:27 AM   #16
mercierarmory

I truly appreciate everyone's comments. While i have acquired a few Filipino blades and edged weapons from that part of the world over the years, this is my first Keris and if I intend to keep it, I want it to be considered a higher quality piece, much like the other swords in my collection.

When I first saw the blade, I knew it looked to be better than ones I have handled in the past. But still, this is unfamiliar territory for me and the education provided from all your comments really helps. For that, I thank you.

Mike
Old 8th March 2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercierarmory
I truly appreciate everyone's comments. While i have acquired a few Filipino blades and edged weapons from that part of the world over the years, this is my first Keris and if I intend to keep it, I want it to be considered a higher quality piece, much like the other swords in my collection.

When I first saw the blade, I knew it looked to be better than ones I have handled in the past. But still, this is unfamiliar territory for me and the education provided from all your comments really helps. For that, I thank you.

Mike
Well, I'd describe the blade as 'fair' quality; the dress, not so much .
Old 8th March 2012, 05:55 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Well, I'd describe the blade as 'fair' quality; the dress, not so much .
I think i would agree with that. Keep in mind that there are all quality levels of keris. This is hardly a keraton piece. Really high quality keris can bring a rather high price tag. I think your blade is fairly well made and has a certain elegance to it, but it is not high end work. Ditto again what Rick and other have said of the dress. The blade seems nicer than the furniture.

Last edited by David; 18th September 2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 8th March 2012, 06:23 PM   #19
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

It appears to me that the set of the luks is not quite on; still, this blade has much charm .