Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th April 2015, 12:44 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Another incendiary quoit.

I realize the name quoit is/was genericaly attributed to objects with a ring form for throwing purposes, whereas the original name of this weapon weapon was certainly another one. Currently being called pechkranz in german and pitch garland in english, the name i spotted in Portugal is 'argola de fogo' (fire ring), in a reference to the the siege of Malta in 1565, where this type of incendiary weapons was handled by specific infantry units (hoop throwers).
This example appearing to have Veste Coburg as provenance, dated XVI-XVII century, corresponds to Type III in the work Die Macht des Feuers by Alfred Geibig.
Its construction being a twisted bundle of sticks caged in woven rods, soaked in incendiary materials and wrapped in nitrated strips of cloth (if i put it right).
Eventualy these things became extremely fragile during time, easily losing their outer layer material and also discoloring with light exposition.
This one is far from intact, but i hear that there are much worse out there.
For such reason i have an acrylic box made to keep it.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 19th April 2015 at 03:06 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Marcus den toom

Great reference and research work Nando, it is true that these rings where most likely not thrown at the agressor. Even when they are new, they wouldn't benefit from falling because of the outer crust which had a final layer of pitch and blackpowder. This would form a hard outer layer.

Great piece my friend, also a very neat looking display
I am happy it went to your collection where it will be preserved.
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Andi

Thank you Fernando. And also thank you for your efforts in conserving this treasure.

I just remember that we have to do some more trials in experimentally burning such reconstructed pitch garlands Bummsbrigade: Pechkränze - And it also reminds me to translate this website into English language.

The relatively light colour of the brittle coating may indicate the absence of charcoal in the coating, it may only contan of sulfur and nitrate and a light colour tree tar. Unfortunately so far we were only able to get dark coloured beech tree tar, but for a historic correct reconstruction we need pinals tar which is very expensive and hard to get in larger quantities.

Last edited by Andi; 19th April 2015 at 09:06 AM.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 03:09 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you so much for your words, guys .
Great site, Andi; i can't wait for its translation to english.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote