Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 6th April 2015, 04:06 PM   #1
brandy_zombie

Default Gerrit Burghorst

My mom & grandma gave me a sword that had until recently belonged to my late uncle. It was given with the understanding that I am not to sell it. It was given to me because my fiance and I are both weapon collectors. Although we normally buy unusual fantasy blades. We know nothing about this one. But we are all quite curious about the history of it and how in the world he ended up with it. My uncle had some vision but was legally blind and had been since he was a child.
The sword is about 28 inches overall length with the blade being 23 inches. It is engraved "Gerrit Burghorst Mr Zwaardveger" on one side. The other side looks like "In de Kalverstraet tot Amsterdam". When I googled the engravings, another post from this forum popped up. I also wonder if the piece around the base of the handle/top of the blade is broken. I have pictures that I have resized to fit the forum requirements. Thanks for any information!
Attached Images

brandy_zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Brandy_zombie, As for your sword, I believe that your sword would be more suited to the European section of this forum. So if you don't mind I will move it there for you. Seeing as this is your first posting I would also like to welcome you to the forum. I am sure that you will be able to find the information you are looking for.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Marcus den toom

It is Dutch and made by Gerrit Burghorst in the late 18th century. In the dutch national museum there are swords of this maker. I am not to familiar with swords to tell you anything significant about it, but i am sure Cornelis will be quit capable to answer all your questions
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 07:19 PM   #4
RSWORD

It is a wonderful gift and cherish and take care of it. It has found its way to you after 200-300 years of life. How cool is that!
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 01:58 PM   #5
cornelistromp

For the maker Gerrit Burghorst on your hunting hanger please see;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...rrit+burghorst

best,
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 08:17 PM   #6
M ELEY

As Rick, Jasper, Robert, Marcus and others have already said, you have a great sword there! It is an infantry hanger from roughly the 1750-80 period. It once had a shell guard, now broke off (extremely common among these.) I have one very similar, from an earlier period with shorter 'hanger' blade (the longer types favored by naval and infantry officers). My hanger likewise inscribed by a Dutch sword maker. I'll try and attach the thread. Yours looks like it has some active rust, so you might consider a very conservative cleaning with steel wool and olive oil. For similar examples, see Nuemann's 'Swords and Blades of the American Revolution',plate 64s.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote