Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th May 2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default first to touch?

This is just a bit of fun. I find my hand most often falls on one item first when having a session of collection review. It is not the most valuable and I could not really say it is the most favourite, which is odd. It is not old and would not be the last piece to go. Yet some how my hand most often finds it first . I will say that it is a good fondling size and with comfortable grip. The eye catching design never fails me. I wonder if the same thing happens to other members?
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 01:11 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Indeed it does happen Tim, for what ever reason may be in my subconscious.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 02:04 AM   #3
Timo Nieminen

There are ones that are nothing fancy. Maybe a bit ugly, or damaged. But held in the hand, their inner beauty shines. Their beauty is kinesthetic and ergonomic. If it's only eye-candy, a photo can substitute (at least somewhat). But there is no substitute for that kinesthetic beauty.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:46 AM   #4
DaveA

Default The right blade for you

In some cultures it is believed the blade choses the person. The affinity must be mutual. In Java, one "marries" a blade; one never buys -- much less owns -- a keris! In some unfortunate cases, the marriage must be annulled. Regardless of magical thinking, it is true that some weapons just feel right in your hand. If your life depended on it, which weapon would you choose? Everyone's answer is different. I have a Shan dha that feels like an extension of my arm. That is a marriage for a swordsman!

Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 01:12 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Tim, I have a half dozen or so that I just love the feel of. Whether it's the balance in the hand or the texture of the grip or the appeal of the dimensions, something just feels "right." As you say, they are not the most beautiful, but for me they would be among the last to go.

I have one special one by my bed, a very old Sulu kris sundang with a much sharpened blade and, of all things, an aluminum clad hilt (probably a WWII replacement). It is my "night stick" to take care of any intruder.

This kris is very sharp and fast, and above all beautifully balanced. I bought it for $25 nearly 30 years ago in a junky Manila antique store and it has slept with me every night since then. My wife has instructions to bury it with me--you never know who you might meet in the after life.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:46 AM   #6
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
My wife has instructions to bury it with me--you never know who you might meet in the after life.

Ian.
You made my day! Thank you!

Regardind Tim's "blade," I find it quite a beauty and albeit quite new, I would love to have it in my collection!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote