Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th May 2017, 04:52 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Tulwar blade markings

Hello Everyone,
I have a Tulwar which has a number of blade markings such as the opposing Eyelash or Sickle marks with 3 dots at the end of line, a couple of 3 dot marks randomly placed on the blade and the letters EiC with triangles and a second letter C.
The Tulwar itself completely devoid of any decoration being in my opinion a good old ( 19th C? ) typical working sword.
The O/L is 33 ins with a blade length of 28 ins x 1.125 ins wide.
The scabbard is wood covered in velvet with steel chape.
I am aware of the custom of stamping the Eyelash marks to make it seem as though the blade was by a famous maker but am not sure whether or not the
sword would have been an East India Co issue. Due to the haphazard way the letters have been applied makes me suspicious and I would appreciate the opinions of more knowledgeable members.
Thank you.
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Hello Everyone,
I have a Tulwar which has a number of blade markings such as the opposing Eyelash or Sickle marks with 3 dots at the end of line, a couple of 3 dot marks randomly placed on the blade and the letters EiC with triangles and a second letter C.
The Tulwar itself completely devoid of any decoration being in my opinion a good old ( 19th C? ) typical working sword.
The O/L is 33 ins with a blade length of 28 ins x 1.125 ins wide.
The scabbard is wood covered in velvet with steel chape.
I am aware of the custom of stamping the Eyelash marks to make it seem as though the blade was by a famous maker but am not sure whether or not the
sword would have been an East India Co issue. Due to the haphazard way the letters have been applied makes me suspicious and I would appreciate the opinions of more knowledgeable members.
Thank you.
Miguel
Salaams Miguel ~ Great subject! I looked through Forum and pulled one thread in particular at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=TULVAR which discussed in some depth the bite marks also known as Sickle marks, eyelash marks and hogs backs often accompanied by the 3 dot arrangements etc...

Please see also http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17903

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ibrahiim, thank you for that link to that remarkable discussion in 2009 , which I think well describes these interesting marks which pervade so many blades in so many cultures over many centuries.

The markings on this blade are clearly interpretive, and added to this blade in the sense of imbuement of quality or strength. The triple dots are typically found on various Indian blades much earlier, and seem to be strategically placed, often regarded as perhaps related to the Trimurti and as talismanic or such application.

Miguel, this is a good, solid tulwar which I think is of the British Raj in India but post East India Co. which dissolved after the 'Mutiny' in 1857. In the years just after the dissolution, Queen Victoria became the "Empress of India" and her VR cypher had added an 'I', thus VRI.
There was no longer the East India Co. but there was an intermediate attempt to simulate a logo which represented the now controlling, East India government'.
It was a triangle with letters EIG at the points.
It is unclear how long or how prevalent this 'logo' was used, however some years later the stamps became I G with the arrow between (as seen in earlier BO, Board of Ordnance marks).

By years just before WWI, the letters EG arrow between and I below were used.

The random application here would seem to concur with munitions grade character of the sword, which in my view may suggest this to be a sabre produced for Native Cavalry of the units serving in the Raj, perhaps 1870s to turn of the century. The blade is of the form of much earlier tulwars.
Actually the choice of swords was often given to these units, and many forms which were now obsolete British patterns were still produced into the 20th c. They were still making M1796 and M1821 sabres through the 1880s and a number of M1853 were made for private Indian security forces.
I once had brass hilted tulwars made by Mole for these Indian units, so this well may be one of the 'Raj' pieces in my opinion.
Simple but solid and quite functional.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 07:24 PM   #4
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Miguel ~ Great subject! I looked through Forum and pulled one thread in particular at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=TULVAR which discussed in some depth the bite marks also known as Sickle marks, eyelash marks and hogs backs often accompanied by the 3 dot arrangements etc...

Please see also http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17903

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Hello Ibrahiim, Thank you very much for your reply, the threads you pointed out proved very useful to me as they contained most of the information I was looking for.
Regards
Miguel
Old 19th May 2017, 07:44 PM   #5
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Ibrahiim, thank you for that link to that remarkable discussion in 2009 , which I think well describes these interesting marks which pervade so many blades in so many cultures over many centuries.

The markings on this blade are clearly interpretive, and added to this blade in the sense of imbuement of quality or strength. The triple dots are typically found on various Indian blades much earlier, and seem to be strategically placed, often regarded as perhaps related to the Trimurti and as talismanic or such application.

Miguel, this is a good, solid tulwar which I think is of the British Raj in India but post East India Co. which dissolved after the 'Mutiny' in 1857. In the years just after the dissolution, Queen Victoria became the "Empress of India" and her VR cypher had added an 'I', thus VRI.
There was no longer the East India Co. but there was an intermediate attempt to simulate a logo which represented the now controlling, East India government'.
It was a triangle with letters EIG at the points.
It is unclear how long or how prevalent this 'logo' was used, however some years later the stamps became I G with the arrow between (as seen in earlier BO, Board of Ordnance marks).

By years just before WWI, the letters EG arrow between and I below were used.

The random application here would seem to concur with munitions grade character of the sword, which in my view may suggest this to be a sabre produced for Native Cavalry of the units serving in the Raj, perhaps 1870s to turn of the century. The blade is of the form of much earlier tulwars.
Actually the choice of swords was often given to these units, and many forms which were now obsolete British patterns were still produced into the 20th c. They were still making M1796 and M1821 sabres through the 1880s and a number of M1853 were made for private Indian security forces.
I once had brass hilted tulwars made by Mole for these Indian units, so this well may be one of the 'Raj' pieces in my opinion.
Simple but solid and quite functional.
Hello Jim, Thank you for your reply, as always I am in awe of your knowledge of this subject and really appreciate you giving the time to provide so much interesting information for which I am much obliged.

Regards
Miguel
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:36 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Miguel, absolutely my pleasure as always. The interesting examples posted by you and the others here give me great opportunities to learn myself. The research I do is compiled information which I impart here so not as much knowledge as material I have found, but I am grateful for your kind words.

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote