Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th November 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Al Shamal

Default Kukri for comments from Kathmandu

Salam,

A brief holiday earlier in the year took me to Kathmandu, Nepal and some surrounding areas. I have wanted a kukri for some time and this was a good opportunity to gain a 'souvenir'. After searching through many shops and markets (mostly full of tourist junk), i eventually settled on this... Would be interested in comments on the age, style and quality, etc
Attached Images

Al Shamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi,
First of all welcome to the Forum, as nice a bunch of eccentrics as you'll ever meet. I would suggest there is a mis-match here. The scabbard looks to be of much better quality than the blade and probably older, the sizes don't match either I'm afraid. I hesitate to comment any more as this is not really my area but hopefully Spiral will chime in and give you his thoughts. Hope this is of some use.
Regards,
Norman.

P.S. Use the search function for Kothimora and you will see examples of scabbards like yours and the type of blades that should go with them.

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 8th November 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Al Shamal

Shokran Norman, I thought this might be the case also
Will await further comments
Old 8th November 2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree - the two don't match up (in fact I am surprised that the blade fits in the scabbard at all ). I like the nice kothimora scabbard though. Would you folks suggest it was made in the 1930s or later?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 02:56 AM   #5
Berkley

I respectfully disagree. Kothimoras are simply kukris with ornamented scabbards. Like all kukris, they come in varying degrees of quality in terms of materials and workmanship. There are lots of these "village kothimoras" to be found, more so than the "palace kothimoras" with their exquisite workmanship and exotic handle material coupled with precious-metal fittings.

Look closely and the "silver" elements, if silver at all, are low-grade - if not German silver or just "white metal". The "golden" ornaments may be brass or gold plated, but certainly not solid gold. Small semi-precious stones - or glass - add to the rustic elegance.

The blade of the kukri in the original post is too short for the scabbard, but may have been reground and shortened when the tip was damaged.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 03:05 AM   #6
not2sharp

Berkley,

The handle has either been damaged or replaced. The original handle may have been a better match with that sheath.

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Hhhmmmmmm................you have a point Berkley. I guess I was thrown off by the quality of the hilt and the way it was on the blade: the gap between the blade and the hilt.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 09:47 AM   #8
spiral

Good souvenier!

Personaly I think its not the original kukri as the spine shape doesnt match the scabbard.

Id guess its post ww2.

With old kukri, non matching scabbards & kukris are virtualy the norm in Nepal, both in the villages & amongst the city dealers, market traders. {its a common occurance amongst dealers & collectors in the west as well.}

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Al Shamal

Shokran All

Berkley, your picture posts were very helpful along with everybodies comments.
I believe the sheath to be silver and the gold is "leaf". The blade/s fit ok into the sheath, although the inside is quite well worn (to be expected).
It was the rustic kothimora sheath that drew me to it