Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2013, 02:50 PM   #31
Billman

You learn something new each day:

Bufala mediterranea italiana, is the only indigenous Italian breed of water buffalo.It is of the River subtype of water buffalo, and is similar to the buffalo breeds of Hungary, Romania and the Balkan countries. Previously considered to belong to the Mediterranean buffalo grouping, it was officially recognised as a breed in 2000, based on its long isolation from, and lack of interbreeding with, other buffalo breeds. A herdbook was opened in 1980....

Not sure how their horn compares with other breeds of water buffalo - but if solid, not a lot of good for ferrules.

Jimmy, I'll try to find some comparable images, but if you could take a) an image at 90 degrees to the blade, and b) a close up of the marks on the blade, it would help..
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 05:37 PM   #32
manteris1

i hope this will help......
Attached Images

manteris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 06:40 PM   #33
Billman

Many thanks - the weld line on the blade is very typical of European billhooks - a steel edge forge welded onto a wrought iron body (this process was continued well into the 20th century). The blade shape is not a coomon one, nor is the handle... The best match for a blades shape is that of an Italian decorated one sold a few years ago (with a rather nasty brass handle fitted)... I'll try to find more examples...
Attached Images

Old 14th October 2013, 06:05 AM   #34
not2sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteris1
what about this.............jimmy
It looks like a tea knife.

n2s
not2sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 10:09 PM   #35
Billman

Tea knives/pruning hooks tended to be quite small - blades about 6" long - but all pruning prior to the invention of the secateur c1830 was carried out using a small billhook/pruning hook, so it could be used for any sort of pruning: fruit trees, bushes, roses, berry plants - as well as for hedging and coppicing work - a true 'jack of all trades' type of tool...
Old 18th October 2013, 10:43 PM   #36
spiral

Buffalo {of all types.} cow, goat, bull, sheep & ram are all hollow at the base of the horn, & have varying amounts of solid horn towards the tip, water buffalo having the greater proportion solid though compared to the other species.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 05:15 PM   #37
Billman

Hi Manteris1 - the more I look at this tool the more I think it may actually be Spanish in origin - no reason I can think of, just a gut feeling..