Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th April 2024, 06:24 PM   #1
gp

Default shipping ex USA ....

Happy as a dog with two tails to have won this nice dagger for US $ 70 on eBay from a seller in the good ol' USA , I was awaiting delivery last week....

Was indeed....past tense.

Strange for a country who is the world biggest arms dealer, that eBay now has prohibited the sale and shipping of my dagger from that same country.

I contacted eBay, they provided me a link stating :

"Restricted items and categories

Items included in eBay's hazardous, restricted or regulated materials policy, or that don't follow our International trading policy, can't be shipped using eBay International Shipping.

Items that are shipped to buyers in the UK need to comply with all applicable UK laws and regulations. We have put measures in place to prevent US items that may not comply with UK regulations, such as CE Certification and/or Plugs and Sockets Regulations, from being sold to buyers in the UK.

Due to export limitations and restrictions, items listed in the following categories also can't be shipped with eBay International Shipping. This is not an exhaustive list and it may be updated based on transportation regulations and export laws.

Any category or items containing Radium or other radioactive materials
Dangerous goods requiring hazardous handling labels & documentation
Export-controlled items requiring license > Ex. Military vehicle parts
Business & Industrial > Heavy equipment & attachments.

Collectibles > Knives, swords & blades "

So this restricts all of us buying cold weapons from eBay USA based sellers...

Sad to see that country declining by the decade commercially, as already a decade ago shipping charges doubles to trebled, making that country uninteressting to buy from.

Not only cold weapons but even books; I used to buy many books ( quite some antique) books where shipping went from $ 20 to $ 45 - $70....

Makes me singin' the Blues ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...e=emb_imp_woyt
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 21st April 2024 at 12:42 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2024, 06:31 PM   #2
TVV

The US laws are not the problem. It is the UK laws that are restrictive, and as a result certain items cannot be shipped to the UK.
TVV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2024, 06:46 PM   #3
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
The US laws are not the problem. It is the UK laws that are restrictive, and as a result certain items cannot be shipped to the UK.

But I live in the Netherlands, which never was, is and never ever will be part of the UK ( fortunately.. )

So if that was to be true, there would imply folks working in the eBay USA shipping department have no knowledge whatsoever on geography...

I know geography is not a strong developed subject in the USA, but I do not believe it to be the case in their international shipping departments (speaking from 30 years experience on international transactions and being a customs SME, also having worked 20 years for US companies in their int. departments ... : they do know that topic very well ! )

But the rule is not only limited to the UK as it would look on first sight, as it can also (legally) be made applicable or interpretated to all non USA transactions.

The interpretation ( if you exclude the UK part) is to be understood due to the fact that the US legislation can be challenging and as eBay has to go for the fast buck and least to none issues, applying such a rule safeguards or avoids issues.

"Restricted items and categories

Items included in eBay's hazardous, restricted or regulated materials policy, or that don't follow our International trading policy, can't be shipped using eBay International Shipping.

Collectibles > Knives, swords & blades "

eBay sadly and simply does not follow other US auction sites, nor US auction houses and US individual sellers who do offer international shipping within the US legislation.

So any forum members in the good ol' U S of A will soon have a nice and cheap dagger available to buy

I believe it to be either Serbian but based on the hilt it might be Greek as well and if cleaned double to treble my purchase value...I was surprised that it went this cheap whilst being a month for sale...

Last edited by gp; 20th April 2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 20th April 2024, 08:29 PM   #4
Sajen

Hi Gunar,

The problem isn't the States and their laws but these weird "Global Shipping Program" many US sellers use, for some unknown reason they seem to think that it's forbidden to import any blades to European states.
When you want to purchase a blade from ebay US sellers make sure that they don't use these weird "GSP".

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2024, 08:34 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
So any forum members in the good ol' U S of A will soon have a nice and cheap dagger available to buy
I don't know what will happen with this nice knife but the seller won't will get it back so far I know!
Old 20th April 2024, 11:18 PM   #6
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Gunar,

The problem isn't the States and their laws but these weird "Global Shipping Program" many US sellers use, for some unknown reason they seem to think that it's forbidden to import any blades to European states.
When you want to purchase a blade from ebay US sellers make sure that they don't use these weird "GSP".

Regards,
Detlef
Thnx a lot / herzlichen Dank Detlef !
Attached Images

Old 20th April 2024, 11:19 PM   #7
gp

Quote:
I don't know what will happen with this nice knife but the seller won't will get it back so far I know!
That is very bad !
Old 21st April 2024, 12:51 AM   #8
wildwolberine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
That is very bad !
This is true, I know from experience. I sold a WW2 Philippines knife to an Italian buyer & shipped via GSP. Was confiscated by auction platform, buyer was refunded. The knife was apparently resold to a third party as I saw the same knife for sale again a few weeks later. I didn’t lose money but the knife was lost. Needless to say I won’t do that again
wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2024, 05:12 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Sending via eBay and others Global Shipping Programs is indeed problematic fro Australia also. However, another egregious policy makes it difficult to not use the GSP. If you ship via the site's shipping programs, either locally or internationally, you don't get paid until the item is actually received at the other end. If you ship privately, there is a further delay until eBay confirms that the item has actually been received.

Buying internationally at auction is another can of worms, especially buying from the U.K. Unless you are buying several items, the postage to Australia will likely exceed the cost of a single item, sometimes by 3–4 times.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2024, 06:26 AM   #10
RAMBA

Anything that may appear on these pages will be a restricted item with the Ebay Global Shipping Program T and Cs. Been like that for a long time. There is a very long list of GSP restricted items. Read all the issues with items being termed restricted by the GSP and confiscated. There is NO recourse. Heard of Japanese swords of some value being caught up in this. They do not consider the fact that you can't go buy another one like a pair of shoes.

It has nothing to do with your own countries laws etc.

Happened to me with a kukri from the UK. Advice is do not buy if seller is using GSP or have it shipped to a contact in USA/UK etc if you have one.

The seller may not even be aware that the GSP is being offered internationally and the T and Cs of the GSP. Apparently GSP is the default and has to be changed. Ebay don't mind you offering the item even through the GSP will mean it will be confiscated and sold locally.

Last edited by RAMBA; 21st April 2024 at 06:42 AM.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2024, 07:44 AM   #11
corrado26

All this are the reasons why I never buy items outside the EU!!!
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2024, 07:59 AM   #12
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
All this are the reasons why I never buy items outside the EU!!!
the problem is the Global Shipping Program not the countries they come from or where they are going to.

I have bought from Indonesia and sold to the UK for example, there was no problem other than choosing the vector from Indonesia because it had to be One rather than the other because DHL (if memory serves) refuses (their own prerogative) to ship blades which FedEx or perhaps it was UPS doesn't .

I sold to the UK several times and sent things without any problem simply by postal parcel.

Buying from outside the EU only results in a problem of paying VAT and a mysterious handling through customs fee (different for each vector)

One doesn't need to use the GSP, anyone can do this (from the Netherlands) with the post and all you have to do is to go on line on your Post.nl account and follow this procedure.

"..
Beste heer, mevrouw,

Verstuur je weleens goederen naar de Verenigde Staten? Dan verandert er binnenkort iets voor jou. Vanaf 18 februari moet je deze zendingen namelijk vooraf online aanmelden en frankeren. Dit kan niet meer bij een PostNL-punt. We vertellen je graag hoe het werkt.

Waarom online aanmelden en frankeren?
De internationale regelgeving voor het versturen van goederen is strenger geworden. Daarom accepteert de VS alleen nog goederen vanuit het buitenland als ze van tevoren weten wat er inzit. Deze gegevens willen ze digitaal ontvangen. Dat betekent dat je je zending vooraf online moet aanmelden en betalen. Het is belangrijk dat je dit doet. Anders stuurt de VS je zending retour afzender.

Hoe werkt het?
Online frankeren heb je zo gedaan:
1. Ga naar jouw account.
2. Kies de VS als land van bestemming. Vul de gegevens in.
3. Onderaan staat de douaneverklaring klaar. Vul deze ook in.
4. Betaal online.
5. Print het verzendlabel inclusief douanegegevens. Of laat deze printen bij een PostNL-punt.
6. Geef het pakket af bij een PostNL-punt.

Meer weten? Lees verder op onze website.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Het team van PostNL...."
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2024, 11:46 AM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If you ship privately, there is a further delay until eBay confirms that the item has actually been received.
Hi Ian,

Thats not true! As an ebay seller I know that this is not true. I get my money within a few days after the buyer pays.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 21st April 2024, 11:03 PM   #14
Lee
EAAF Staff

Back when I was selling Lew's collection largely through eBay, I would spend a lot of time on the official eBay seller's and shipping forums, and one could find a lot of horror stories there about the GSP. Apparently, the contractor providing the service (Pitney-Bowes at the time, if I remember correctly) would often unwrap the parcels sent via their hub, inspect and repackage - sometimes with unhappy results (think nihonto) besides the inherent delay and increased costs. An occasional strangely routed or waylaid and thus delayed shipment aside, I never had serious difficulties directly sending using the Postal Service's International Priority Mail service.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 04:13 AM   #15
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Hi Ian,

Thats not true! As an ebay seller I know that this is not true. I get my money within a few days after the buyer pays.

Regards,
Detlef
Then Australian eBay (ebay.com.au) must operate under a different set of rules. I only get paid once the delivery has been confirmed, whether locally or internationally.
Old 22nd April 2024, 09:14 AM   #16
Sajen

Quote:
Then Australian eBay (ebay.com.au) must operate under a different set of rules. I only get paid once the delivery has been confirmed, whether locally or internationally.
So you have to wait for your money for over one month when you ship to Europe? Crazy!!
Old 22nd April 2024, 09:27 AM   #17
milandro

are you sure you didn't chose to be paid once a month? You can chose this and maybe you have chosen this by mistake or it was chosen for you when things have been updated

Payments are immediately or at most available in two days

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/pa...s-and-earnings
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 01:17 PM   #18
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I am scheduled to be paid daily by eBay. Next time I post an item to a buyer, I shall take a screen shot of the eBay message that says I will be paid following completion of delivery.
Old 22nd April 2024, 03:44 PM   #19
gp

Quote:
I am scheduled to be paid daily by eBay. Next time I post an item to a buyer, I shall take a screen shot of the eBay message that says I will be paid following completion of delivery.

Might it be that you are maybe related to that odda bushbanger Kelly (Ned) …?

Jokes aside..perhaps eBay has different rules and or settings in or for different regions.

I noticed as a user/ buyer when logging in on ebay.nl versus other accounts on de, fr, it , co.uk or com….even prices differ quite a lot or availability of products…
Old 30th April 2024, 12:22 AM   #20
werecow

Matt Easton on the parcelforce ban on swords.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 01:28 AM   #21
Bob A

Ah, well, it's the UK.

Can't talk about beheading, and sharp pointy is a no-go.

We're not far behind . . .

Edit: As to postage, I just bought a book from Australia. The book cost $67, the postage was $30. This is a relatively recent issue; used to be quite reasonable.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob A; 30th April 2024 at 01:40 AM.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 02:05 AM   #22
kahnjar1

Default Use USPS and not GSP

In the past I have also had problems with GSP shipping to New Zealand, and it has also been much more expensive to use. My answer to this has been to ask the seller to use USPS which in most cases was acceptable. If you don't like GSP then as a suggestion don't buy from sellers who insist on using it.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote